carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Chevy Colorado (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=147258)

lemming 04-03-2018 08:41 AM

sweet!

I totally get the appeal of this.

kognito 04-03-2018 08:44 AM

Congrats!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 526573)

The interior is pretty econobox, but so far it isn't bothering me. I was tempted to get the GMC instead but it didn't have the same incentives so was 3k more expensive. And somehow it just felt like putting lipstick on a pig. If I'm getting a chevy, I'll just take the chevy.

The seats are pretty mediocre and a complaint of a lot of owners. I got the leather seats because they have less of a bulge around the edge of the seat bottom that makes people's legs fall asleep (including mine). That and the base seats look like garbage. The leather seats are flat and firm but they actually work reasonably well for me. Except the complete lack of side bolstering. Every corner I feel like I'm going to slide off the seat sideways.

Android auto is great. It's buggy but I'm sure they'll work that out. I want it in any new car I buy moving forward. Add this to the list of bad decisions being made by BMW (they don't offer it.)

I totally get the lipstick comment, but I found in the case of the 1/2 ton I wanted the GMC lipstick. (plus the GM "deals" at Labor Day made the GMC lipstick more attractive)

My system just downloaded two more apps last week, so it does look like the info center does continue to evolve.

bren 04-03-2018 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 526576)
Right... maybe. I do like a lot about it. The blocking the rear view is kind of annoying, but I guess better than not being able to haul the item because you had nowhere to store the cover.

The other issue is that any tonneau that you release by opening the gate and pulling a string - it might as well not lock. All you have to do is slide a hanger in there and pull the string.
out.

Right, that's why I initially said "Bakflip" style. ;)

Blocking the window is no big deal, more often than not you'll be blocking it with whatever large item is in the bed anyway. Remember, this is a special situations vehicle. Compromises are expected when maximizing for utility.

equ 04-03-2018 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 526583)
"Goodyear wrangler all terrain adventure with kevlar". Long enough name?

They get mediocre reviews but I was still impressed at how they did in the snow. It was a wet snow so maybe it was an easy test, but still.

I think those are the standard tires for the JGC Trailhawk edition. I will file away to an always tire-obsessed corner of my mind that you like them, good to know.

rumatt 04-03-2018 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 526599)
Right, that's why I initially said "Bakflip" style. ;)

I don't get what you mean. Is there a Bakflip style that doesn't have a pull string to open?

3LOU5 04-03-2018 12:06 PM

That folding Bakflip cover is intriguing.

However, the only thing I don't like about it is the inability to see rearward. Isn't there a law in which you MUST have a clear view towards the back ?? Could you get a violation/citation for this ??

3LOU5 04-03-2018 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 526600)
I think those are the standard tires for the JGC Trailhawk edition. I will file away to an always tire-obsessed corner of my mind that you like them, good to know.

If you're looking for a better all-terrain tires for your Jeep, the venerable BFG All-Terrain are highly rated. The KO2 is the latest version which I have, and I like them a lot. Not only are they capable in most conditions I subject them too, but they're quiet and not as expensive as compared to Pro-Comp, Dick Cepek, Mickey Thompson, tire brands that are more geared to trucks.

rumatt 04-03-2018 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3LOU5 (Post 526617)
However, the only thing I don't like about it is the inability to see rearward. Isn't there a law in which you MUST have a clear view towards the back ?? Could you get a violation/citation for this ??

I'm with Bren on this one. If you are in a situation where you need 100% of the bed, the ability to see out isn't that big of a deal. Plus, if you really want to you can still take it off, just like any other tonneau.

What bothers me is that you can open it in 10 seconds with a wire coat hanger. I know that no tonneau is a vault, but it should be more difficult than that.

bren 04-03-2018 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 526601)
I don't get what you mean. Is there a Bakflip style that doesn't have a pull string to open?

I haven't done an exhaustive search for options, but I'm sure there are competing products. Though, I also think the coat hanger thing may be a bit of a anti-sales gimmick. You can most likely figure out a way to mitigate that issue (ie. Can you drill a hole and put a clip in the mechanism to lock it?) It's far more likely a thief will just grab a pry-bar and go at the cover.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 526625)
I'm with Bren on this one. If you are in a situation where you need 100% of the bed, the ability to see out isn't that big of a deal. Plus, if you really want to you can still take it off, just like any other tonneau.

Throw a car trailer behind your truck and you aren't using anything but the side mirrors to see behind. Eventually you even get used to the guy you can't shake who's following you so closely. :lol:

My folding cover has levers that clip under the bed rails. I can't remember who makes it, but it is really easy to take off and/or fold, but it doesn't flip-up to give full access to the bad so it has to be totally removed every once in a while for something.

rumatt 04-06-2018 07:52 AM

I just checked the wheel bolt torque spec. 140 foot pounds. Seems kind of excessive.

I'll need roadside assistance just to break the bolts free if I don't carry a breaker bar.

John V 04-09-2018 05:46 AM

Buy a two foot breaker bar at harbor freight. That's what I did for Marisa's car. :dunno:

rumatt 04-09-2018 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 527092)
Buy a two foot breaker bar at harbor freight. That's what I did for Marisa's car. :dunno:

I actually recently ordered one off Amazon. I guess I'll just keep it in the truck

bren 04-09-2018 11:53 AM

It's pretty unlikely that you'll be changing a truck tire on the side of the road.

ff 04-09-2018 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 527133)
It's pretty unlikely that you'll be changing a truck tire on the side of the road.

You just jinxed him.

JST 04-09-2018 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 527131)
I actually recently ordered one off Amazon. I guess I'll just keep it in the truck

Right, also works for road rage incidents.

bren 04-09-2018 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ff (Post 527134)
You just jinxed him.

I was thinking I probably just screwed myself, but I have never changed a truck tire - and I've had some form of "truck" since 1993. They hold so much volume of air that a slow leak takes forever to fully deflate them, and any pothole that would blow one would also take out the frame of the truck. :lol:

clyde 04-09-2018 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 526928)
I just checked the wheel bolt torque spec. 140 foot pounds. Seems kind of excessive.

I'll need roadside assistance just to break the bolts free if I don't carry a breaker bar.

Camaro is 140 ft-lbs, too. I discovered this after torquing them all to 120 because I thought that was what I read before...and decided to check again before driving off.

The Focus ST was 100 ft-lbs. IIRC, the RX-8 was 88 ft-lbs. 140 is...a lot.

3LOU5 04-10-2018 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 526928)

That sounds about right.

I have one of these in my truck. Works great !!

https://goo.gl/images/TMm8jq

Hmmmm. Pic didn't show. Anyway, it's a telescoping breaker bar that includes deep-well sockets for the lug nuts.

rumatt 04-15-2018 06:18 PM

Still loving the truck.

Today I helped a friend cut up a bunch of downed trees and move them to the other end of her property.

Now that I'm realizing it might not go in the garage very often, I'm kinda wondering ... should I have gotten a full sized instead? :speechle:

But I think no. I'm guessing when I'm driving it this winter as a snow vehicle I'll be happy with the smaller size. When you're not trying to load it with junk, it's the perfect size.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f31d4b1a39.jpg

bren 04-15-2018 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 527706)
I'm kinda wondering ... should I have gotten a full sized instead?

:rolleyes: :speechle: :lol:

equ 04-15-2018 09:34 PM

No, sounds like what you have is juussst right. It's not like you're at a job site. Have the more enjoyable drive.

rumatt 04-16-2018 07:28 AM

Yeah, that was the logic.

Other things

- driving it is surprisingly fun. The steering is nice and the truck gives you a sense of over-confidence when driving through corners. The stability control manages the back end nicely. Turn it off and you're reminded of what snap-oversteer is

- the ride is rough on bumpy stuff, but it's really nice to no longer be worried that I'm going to get a flat or dent a rim so I just plow onward. So far I'm digging it.

- the seats are pretty terrible. I think I picked the lesser of 2 evils by getting leather. They don't have the weird doughnut bolster that makes your legs fall asleep, so they're quite comfortable until you turn.. But the lack of bolstering is pretty damn annoying because you're flopping side to side in turns.

- the build quality is laughable. Some plastic pieces move when you touch them and/or have major coloring defects. The rear bumper is visibly crooked. If I don't slam the rear door I get an intermittent "driver door open" warning. I was prepared for this, but yeah.

- the epa 24 mpg city rating can easily be obtained by finding a flat road and driving the speed limit. If you have hills or drive fast it drops. I do a mix of highway and city driving and my OBC says 19.4 mph since new. I'm told it lies but I'm not going to measure it manually. Lie to me and make me feel good, baby.

- unlike BMWs which over-estimate your speed, the Colorado consistently reports 1 mph less than waze at highway speeds.

John V 04-16-2018 07:43 AM

The "small" trucks (in quotes because I think these things are bigger than full size truck were in the mid to late 90's) I've been in over the last ten years have all had horrible seats. I'm not sure if it's just the manufacturers cutting costs vs. the full size trucks (because the seats in the new Silverado are really excellent) or if they're trying to maximize interior dimensions or what. Greg had a Pathfinder (small truck based) that caused me leg and back pain after an hour. Every Tacoma since the beginning of time... horrible seats (seems like a Toyota thing). Bummer about the Colorado.

The dealer should be able to fix the door closing issue and the rear bumper. The plastics, well... good luck :lol:

wdc330i 04-16-2018 09:02 AM

Can't you get one of those cage thingies to extend the bed when needed?

rumatt 04-16-2018 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 527723)
Every Tacoma since the beginning of time... horrible seats (seems like a Toyota thing). Bummer about the Colorado.

The Colorado seats are way better than the Tacoma. The tacoma seats are a nightmare. But the coloradofans forum does have the occasional post about people upgrading from a colorado to a silverado just for the seats.

Quote:

The dealer should be able to fix the door closing issue and the rear bumper. The plastics, well... good luck :lol:
I forgot to mention.. when opening the tailgate, only one cable gets tight. I can sit on the loose corner and there is still slack in the cable. There's a GM memo that says this is normal and if the dealers try to fix it, they will not be reimbursed. :lol:

bren 04-16-2018 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 527731)
... the tailgate

Put one of these on the tailgate.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1z4qPlElhL.jpg

The door and bumper should both have enough slop in the bolts to adjust properly.

Alan 04-16-2018 09:37 AM

You put that tree in your brand new truck bed ... I am guessing you’re not worried about scratching your paint :eeps

I would be a really bad truck owner I would never use it for its intended use for fear of scratching it up.

ff 04-16-2018 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 527737)
You put that tree in your brand new truck bed ... I am guessing you’re not worried about scratching your paint :eeps

I would be a really bad truck owner I would never use it for its intended use for fear of scratching it up.

Seems like the spray-on liner is a pretty decent option, from what I can tell. Without some sort of liner, I'd be just as cautious about scratching, though.

rumatt 04-16-2018 11:00 AM

Yeah I have a Line-X spray in liner, and a rubber mat on top of that. I'm not worried about it at all. And the top of the bed rails are plastic.

I'm not too excited about scratching paint on sides of the truck with branches hanging over, but whatever. Why the hell would I buy a truck if I'm not going to use it?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f205ad5c6e.jpg

rumatt 04-16-2018 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 527735)
Put one of these on the tailgate.

Oh that's interesting. I was first going to try reversing the cables, and hope maybe that the cable length variation aligns better with whatever amount the bed is likely out of square. :lol:

But I found it pretty lame that GM claims it's normal tolerances.

ff 04-16-2018 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 527752)
Oh that's interesting. I was first going to try reversing the cables, and hope maybe that the cable length variation aligns better with whatever amount the bed is likely out of square. :lol:

I toured the Ford F-150 and Ranger assembly plant in St. Paul, back in college. What always sticks in my head most is how the workers would hang from the doors, bouncing up and down until the door gaps were even [enough].

Maybe you could do something similar with your tailgate? :lol:

Nick M3 04-16-2018 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 527140)
I was thinking I probably just screwed myself, but I have never changed a truck tire - and I've had some form of "truck" since 1993. They hold so much volume of air that a slow leak takes forever to fully deflate them, and any pothole that would blow one would also take out the frame of the truck. :lol:

I lost a valve stem on the truck once, and still had several miles and the Summit Point sign in line and managed to get to my paddock spot before it fully deflated.

Conveniently, they had trackside tire service that day, too.

clyde 04-16-2018 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ff (Post 527745)
Seems like the spray-on liner is a pretty decent option, from what I can tell. Without some sort of liner, I'd be just as cautious about scratching, though.

reminds me of something

ff 04-16-2018 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 527758)

Ha! Maybe you could have those lenses coated with Line-X too? ;)

3LOU5 04-16-2018 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 527737)

When I bought my first truck, a brand new Ford Ranger XLT Supercab, the bedliner was the very first thing I bought for it. It really protected the bed from rust, and I hauled a lot of stuff with it, including my Honda XR200 dirt bike all over the place.

The problem with owning a pickup is your friends who don't have one will ask you for "favors", LOL.

(But if you do enough "favors", you'll never run out of beers).

:D

dan 04-16-2018 12:30 PM

I had a Ford Ranger XLT extended cab in college. I helped so many people move

3LOU5 04-16-2018 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by undefined (Post 527763)
I had a Ford Ranger XLT extended cab in college. I helped so many people move

Yeah, I LOVED my Ranger.

I got a bit teary-eyed when I sold it 13 years after I bought it. Iirc, it had about 150k miles.

That truck with a 2.3L inline-four mated to a 5-speed manual transmission saw a lot of great memories, LOL.

bren 04-16-2018 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 527752)

But I found it pretty lame that GM claims it's normal tolerances.

Yes, that's ridiculous. Having owned a few GM vehicles it doesn't surprise me one bit though.

I don't know how heavy your tailgate is, but that shock is great and well worth the money IMO.

rumatt 04-16-2018 01:25 PM

My tailgate is actually already assisted. All I really need is an adjustable length cable.

bren 04-16-2018 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 527770)
My tailgate is actually already assisted. All I really need is an adjustable length cable.

Oh really? Good for GM.

I'd probably go to the parts department and order a new cable, how much could that possible cost. Well, I'd ask the service guy to look at it first since it's under warranty.