carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   1998 M Roadster near me (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=158543)

wdc330i 04-25-2019 10:15 AM

1998 M Roadster near me

Quite low mileage:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...lickType=alpha

Alan 04-25-2019 02:07 PM

Am I wrong or is that as really good price for that car ... that thing must be a lot of fun to drive.

Nick M3 04-25-2019 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 547938)
Am I wrong or is that as really good price for that car ... that thing must be a lot of fun to drive.

Roadsters are cheaper than coupes, and S52s are WAY cheaper than S54s.

Theo 04-25-2019 03:38 PM

That is still a good price for the miles. Super fun little car. I just hear they fall apart right and left from the crappy build quality.

rumatt 04-25-2019 03:41 PM

Clown shoe.

Next.

Josh (PA) 04-25-2019 07:45 PM

Hmmmm.... maybe my Dad didn't give me as good a deal as I thought. It does seem like that one is well priced.

We paid $8k for the one we got a couple weeks ago, 47k miles. So far, Cari really enjoys it.

equ 04-26-2019 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 547948)
Clown shoe.

Next.

With you, but... I'm not sure when this happened but there are all sorts of folk out there that regard this parts bin half-assed design as the ultimate in bmw collector-dom.

I guess they bring a fresh perspective if they haven't owned bmws for the last two decades like we have?

Nick M3 04-26-2019 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 547976)
With you, but... I'm not sure when this happened but there are all sorts of folk out there that regard this parts bin half-assed design as the ultimate in bmw collector-dom.

I guess they bring a fresh perspective if they haven't owned bmws for the last two decades like we have?

If you’re going to shit on the MZ3 for that, you must hate the 1M, which is even more of a half-assed parts bin car.

People like the MZ3, especially the S54, because it’s a really fun car to be in. It’s communicative. Also, unlike the 1M, it was fast in its day. (The 1M is a great driver’s car, but the objective performance wasn’t very good.)

equ 04-26-2019 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 547977)
If you’re going to shit on the MZ3 for that, you must hate the 1M, which is even more of a half-assed parts bin car.

People like the MZ3, especially the S54, because it’s a really fun car to be in. It’s communicative. Also, unlike the 1M, it was fast in its day. (The 1M is a great driver’s car, but the objective performance wasn’t very good.)

I'm more talking about the design not the machinery underneath (though e30-based rear suspension in the late 90's and early 00's? Sad!).

While I said "parts bin", that's not necessarily derogatory if they wrapped those parts in a body designed by a proper shop, as the 1M was. And, now that we are comparing tastes, I happen to like the e82.

The z3 coupe in comparison seems to have been designed by an unhappy child told to put a roof on the z3 roadster (which itself was quite acceptable).

Nick M3 04-26-2019 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 547980)
I'm more talking about the design not the machinery underneath (though e30-based rear suspension in the late 90's and early 00's? Sad!).

While I said "parts bin", that's not necessarily derogatory if they wrapped those parts in a body designed by a proper shop, as the 1M was. And, now that we are comparing tastes, I happen to like the e82.

The z3 coupe in comparison seems to have been designed by an unhappy child told to put a roof on the z3 roadster (which itself was quite acceptable).

Honestly, I think that the Z3 coupe looks less terrible than the 1 series. (They are both ugly.)

I also regard the E30 rear suspension as a net-positive. It’s part of what makes them so interesting to drive. And given that on 1998 tires, and with the S50B32 (which is meaningfully slower than the S54, as much as I like it), the Z3M was only 8 seconds slower around the Nurburgring, you could make a plausible argument that the 1M actually handles *worse* with its parts bin E9x M3 suspension.