carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Range Rover Sport Td6 (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=157418)

lemming 12-27-2018 08:35 PM

Range Rover Sport Td6

Drive a 2017 today.

It handles better than I would think. Great viability.

The engine is epic good. Wall of torque.

I’m going to drive JGC and maybe Cayenne diesels to compare?

(E61 replacement)

equ 12-27-2018 10:43 PM

All of those SUV's appeal to me, certainly over Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator.

The Cayenne diesel was a near miss for me, I got very close, got very specific with specs, found it but could not pull the trigger.

1. The engine felt wheezy not healthy at times (likely due to dieselgate fix). The JGC diesel may have been a touch slower but the wall of torque was smoother at lower rpm. There are diehard Cayenne diesel owners rejecting the fix (even against mucho $$$ incentives).

2. The handling was better than the JGC, but still not quite good enough. The Macan is much better to drive (but of course smaller). One additional reason to size may be the transfer case. One thing I'm noticing with the Macanurbo is how much of the power going to the rear, something like 75 to 80% in conditions that would generate push/understeer. I think the Cayenne diesel shares the not as rear-biased but indestructible case of Touaregs and Q7 Audis, that may be cutting the fun. Cayenne S's and Turbos use the Macan transfer case, I'm not sure if they are as rear-biased, but I expect they would be. I never minded the handling of my v6 loaners. It does have better weight distribution than the Macan, but in the real world, when you drive it, the Macanurbo shrinks around you and approximates the old RS4 (without the glorious noise, but with a lot more tech and practicality).

The RRS Td6 is an attractive vehicle. I've been in an RRS, but not driven it. Nice, not-fussy interior. If I were in the market again, I'd consider it.

I do miss the JGC at times. How it swalllowed a 72" mini-couch whole. 29mpg on the highway and smooth pairing of torque & ZF8. But I don't miss its handling, and I had the air springs. Also some interior bits and pieces, especially that foot parking brake, drove me nuts. Definitely a rational choice and you can extend warranties to the moon with Mopar.

lemming 12-28-2018 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 543296)
All of those SUV's appeal to me, certainly over Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator.

The Cayenne diesel was a near miss for me, I got very close, got very specific with specs, found it but could not pull the trigger.

1. The engine felt wheezy not healthy at times (likely due to dieselgate fix). The JGC diesel may have been a touch slower but the wall of torque was smoother at lower rpm. There are diehard Cayenne diesel owners rejecting the fix (even against mucho $$$ incentives).

2. The handling was better than the JGC, but still not quite good enough. The Macan is much better to drive (but of course smaller). One additional reason to size may be the transfer case. One thing I'm noticing with the Macanurbo is how much of the power going to the rear, something like 75 to 80% in conditions that would generate push/understeer. I think the Cayenne diesel shares the not as rear-biased but indestructible case of Touaregs and Q7 Audis, that may be cutting the fun. Cayenne S's and Turbos use the Macan transfer case, I'm not sure if they are as rear-biased, but I expect they would be. I never minded the handling of my v6 loaners. It does have better weight distribution than the Macan, but in the real world, when you drive it, the Macanurbo shrinks around you and approximates the old RS4 (without the glorious noise, but with a lot more tech and practicality).

The RRS Td6 is an attractive vehicle. I've been in an RRS, but not driven it. Nice, not-fussy interior. If I were in the market again, I'd consider it.

I do miss the JGC at times. How it swalllowed a 72" mini-couch whole. 29mpg on the highway and smooth pairing of torque & ZF8. But I don't miss its handling, and I had the air springs. Also some interior bits and pieces, especially that foot parking brake, drove me nuts. Definitely a rational choice and you can extend warranties to the moon with Mopar.

Did you try the BMW diesel in the X5? I want to investigate that also.

The sad reality for me is that a CPO E350 wagon might do the trick. I don’t think the SUV capability is really needed. That’s just for fun.

equ 12-28-2018 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming (Post 543309)
Did you try the BMW diesel in the X5? I want to investigate that also.

The sad reality for me is that a CPO E350 wagon might do the trick. I don’t think the SUV capability is really needed. That’s just for fun.

I owned a 2011 X5 35d for a flash. At the time my SUV "need" was more of a fancy, there were more AWD/manual machines on the market and I didn't have a big dog. That said, mine had regular suspension and seats, and as such was one of my least favorites above all listed. Recent ones may have improved... I'm always suspicious of xdrive, that said a bmw suv that interests me would be the ridiculously named x3 m40i. It's nearly as fast a macanurbo, has more space and has room for a spare.

wdc330i 12-28-2018 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 543311)
I'm always suspicious of xdrive, that said a bmw suv that interests me would be the ridiculously named x3 m40i. It's nearly as fast a macanurbo, has more space and has room for a spare.

I could see owning one of those as well.

ZBB 12-28-2018 11:41 AM

My stepdad had a Cayenne Diesel, but he got rid of it before the Dieselgate fix was applied, so my only experience with it was in its original "illegal" state. It drove great -- nice mix of power and efficiency/range… We drove from Socorro, NM back to Scottsdale (about 450 miles) on just over a 1/2 tank...

FC 12-28-2018 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 543314)
I could see owning one of those as well.

My boss just got one of those. He seems to like it. Looks nice. I've seen a few around, so they must be getting popular.

lemming 12-28-2018 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 543316)
My boss just got one of those. He seems to like it. Looks nice. I've seen a few around, so they must be getting popular.

Which?

The one thing that is a little scary is pulling into a Land Rover dealer and seeing a see of vehicles there for “service”.

Seriously. 2/3 of the lot was trucks there for service.

And RRS seats do not fold flat which broke the deal. (Dogs)

wdc330i 12-28-2018 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming (Post 543319)
Which?

The one thing that is a little scary is pulling into a Land Rover dealer and seeing a see of vehicles there for “service”.

Seriously. 2/3 of the lot was trucks there for service.

And RRS seats do not fold flat which broke the deal. (Dogs)

FC was referring to the X3 Mwhatever, I think.

The X5 seats don't fold flat either, not sure about the X3.

Josh (PA) 12-28-2018 06:12 PM

The X3 m4.0 is the only BMW offered that I would consider.