carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Biggest post embargo 11 GT surprise? (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=33079)

clyde 03-29-2010 12:38 AM

Biggest post embargo 11 GT surprise?

This is definitely the biggest unexpected news for me to see in the first '11 Mustang GT reviews:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edmund's Inside Line
Making the acceleration testing a joy was the six-speed's factory shifter, with tight, short throws and very precise feel. No need for a Hurst shifter conversion here. The Mustang GT's shifter is as good as it gets.

ff 03-29-2010 08:22 AM

As good as it gets, or as good as it gets for Ford? :)

lupinsea 03-29-2010 03:47 PM

Sounds like Ford might have learned something from Mazda.

ff 03-29-2010 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lupinsea (Post 262253)
Sounds like Ford might have learned something from Mazda.

The Speed6 I drove had the sloppiest shifter I've ever felt in a car. Maybe even worse than the ones in the old U-Haul trucks. Don't really remember what the 3's shifter was like though.

lemming 03-29-2010 06:46 PM

i'm in love with the 2010+ mustang.

the interior is really, really nice. it, for example soundly trounces the Camaro's interior and also easily pWnZ the corvette interiors and this was only a v6 convertible interior.

i really would like to get the new GT, also.

hard to pay full price, though, given the price break that available if i were to get a Camaro, though.

John V 03-30-2010 07:42 AM

Our Mazdaspeed3 has a terrible shifter. New solid shifter base bushings helped a lot but it still sucks. Of all Mazdas I've driven, only the Miata has had a nice shifter.

Clyde, the shifter on the S197 Shelby was pretty nice, too. Better than my Vette for sure.

SARAFIL 03-30-2010 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming (Post 262270)
i'm in love with the 2010+ mustang.

the interior is really, really nice. it, for example soundly trounces the Camaro's interior and also easily pWnZ the corvette interiors and this was only a v6 convertible interior.

i really would like to get the new GT, also.

hard to pay full price, though, given the price break that available if i were to get a Camaro, though.

Are they Mustangs selling for full pop? Or is it just that you can't get supplier/family/friends/I-know-someone-that-knows-someone-that-works-for-your-company pricing?

lemming 03-30-2010 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SARAFIL (Post 262315)
Are they Mustangs selling for full pop? Or is it just that you can't get supplier/family/friends/I-know-someone-that-knows-someone-that-works-for-your-company pricing?

a little of both, actually.

the dealers don't move much in Boston on mustang GTs or corvettes. gotta go back to MI to get decent pricing.

clyde 03-30-2010 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 262312)
Our Mazdaspeed3 has a terrible shifter. New solid shifter base bushings helped a lot but it still sucks. Of all Mazdas I've driven, only the Miata has had a nice shifter.

Clyde, the shifter on the S197 Shelby was pretty nice, too. Better than my Vette for sure.

You didn't like the RX-8 shifter? I thought it was in a seriously small class with my Miata.

Overall, I haven't been happy with many shifters in FWD cars.

clyde 03-30-2010 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SARAFIL (Post 262315)

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming (Post 262398)
a little of both, actually.

the dealers don't move much in Boston on mustang GTs or corvettes. gotta go back to MI to get decent pricing.

lemming, there's a salesguy at a dealer NW of Philly that's been on forums.themustangsource.com for a long time, has a stellar rep there and is selling '11 GTs for not too much over invoice.