carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Dumb Paypal question (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=152489)

FC 08-07-2018 08:43 AM

Dumb Paypal question

I have found an attractively-priced set of winter wheels and tires for the M3. I agreed to $1k shipped.

By all accounts he seems like a stand up guy, but does paypal protect me in case I get boxes with bricks inside?

It's quite clear it does protect me if I buy from a retailer that takes paypal (all search hits relate to those), but what about transactions between individuals?

John V 08-07-2018 09:29 AM

Risk is everywhere. In general, PayPal tends to side with buyers. If you indeed received something not as described, they'll have you take pictures of what you got, and they may have you send back (to Paypal, not to the seller) what you got so PayPal can adjudicate.

A more likely scenario than receiving bricks is receiving bent / damaged wheels or tires that are more worn than described. It's much harder to contest that kind of thing, but in general PayPal will still be more likely to side with you.

FC 08-07-2018 09:35 AM

Cool. That is what I was hoping for. I've asked him for photos of individual wheels/tires.

wdc330i 08-07-2018 09:50 AM

They could also get damaged in shipping, which is another potential problem.

John V 08-07-2018 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 534628)
They could also get damaged in shipping, which is another potential problem.

Yeah, but be careful. The shipment needs to be insured for the full value. PayPal doesn't cover items damaged in shipping, they expect the seller to insure the shipment and any shipment loss or damage is handled via the carrier.

Nick M3 08-07-2018 02:03 PM

Pay with a credit card and you're protected basically regardless.

rumatt 08-07-2018 02:09 PM

Is that true?

I read people claiming it's not, because your credit card transaction is to PayPal, and they provided the service you requested... So they don't owe you anything.

I have no idea is that's actually true. Never tested it.

John V 08-07-2018 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 534661)
Is that true?

I read people claiming it's not, because your credit card transaction is to PayPal, and they provided the service you requested... So they don't owe you anything.

I have no idea is that's actually true. Never tested it.

It was a long time ago, but I tried to dispute a paypal charge with my credit card and my credit card company at the time (Discover) refused my claim.

I bought something, 2007-ish. Paid through PayPal, using my Discover card. Guy shipped something that was not at all what it should have been. Contested with Paypal. Paypal told me to send it back to him. I did, provided proof of delivery, but FedEx driver failed to get the required signature, so PayPal said "guy says you never returned the stuff, and nobody signed for it, so we're not returning your money." Filed a claim with Discover. Discover denied my claim.

I ended up filing a claim with FedEx, because they failed to get the signature. They ended up refunding me my money. But PayPal and Discover both told me to pound sand.

Funny sidebar to this. I only rarely used the Discover card after that, but I kept the account open because I'd had that card since 1998. Last year I called them and decided to close it. They sent me through four layers of customer retention hell and kept escalating their monetary offers for me to keep the card. I ended up accepting a $200 statement credit (on a $0 statement :lol:) to not close the account. I bought ~$200 of stuff using that card, then called them and cancelled it the next month. Good times. :lol:

rumatt 08-07-2018 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 534663)
Funny sidebar to this. I only rarely used the Discover card after that, but I kept the account open because I'd had that card since 1998. Last year I called them and decided to close it. They sent me through four layers of customer retention hell and kept escalating their monetary offers for me to keep the card. I ended up accepting a $200 statement credit (on a $0 statement :lol:) to not close the account. I bought ~$200 of stuff using that card, then called them and cancelled it the next month. Good times. :lol:

:lol:

ff 08-07-2018 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 534663)

Half way through, I knew exactly how that story was going to end :lol: