carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Bimmer Evolution, blee edition (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=131689)

bren 04-05-2017 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blee (Post 500643)
my car doesn't seem to be as raspy as others, but it's hard to judge from inside the cabin.

Even with the (much louder) Borla mufflers on mine, it's pretty much all intake noise from the driver's seat. The rasp is more of a wake of noise that you leave behind.

lemming 04-06-2017 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 500684)
No, the E90 wasn't unpleasant around town, just kind of boring. Or at least not as interesting as the price point suggested.

it isn't.

it's just a 3 series with a cool engine.

the newer M3 feels, perhaps, more interesting for the pricepoint because it is insanely fast.

Jeff_DML 04-06-2017 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming (Post 500795)
it isn't.

the newer M3 feels, perhaps, more interesting for the pricepoint because it is insanely fast.

My buddy has a F80 m3, now I want to drive it.

Theo 04-06-2017 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming (Post 500795)
it isn't.

That's just it a cool engine but a, it's to pricy for me right now for what I want to spend and b, the E9x makes WAY better sounds. Both important to me.

blee 05-29-2017 10:23 PM

One of the advantages to having a spare car is that you can take as long as you want to work on it. One of the disadvantages, however, is that you can take as long as you want.

The full detailing process took maybe 8-10 hours total, but it was spread over weeks. The end result? Now I know just how sandblasted the front of my car really looks. But she shines up okay, anyway.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4221/3...b1b4f8e1_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4251/3...f60f629a_b.jpg

rumatt 05-29-2017 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blee (Post 505123)
One of the advantages to having a spare car is that you can take as long as you want to work on it. One of the disadvantages, however, is that you can take as long as you want.

:bustingup

Looking good though!

John V 05-30-2017 06:52 PM

Beautiful

Nick M3 05-30-2017 07:02 PM

Just need to swap out those blacked out kidneys. :)

Jeff_DML 05-30-2017 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 505193)
Just need to swap out those blacked out kidneys. :)

also remove the tint and clears :) But that is just me. prefer OEM(yeah clears are oem in ROW)

Still looks nice. Good job on the detail

Nick M3 05-30-2017 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML (Post 505194)
also remove the tint and clears :) But that is just me. prefer OEM(yeah clears are oem in ROW)

Still looks nice. Good job on the detail

Clears are OE on the M3, period. And tint is more comfortable and good for the interior.

rumatt 05-30-2017 09:08 PM

You guys are nuts. The tint and clears look great.

And I'm generally not a fan of clears.

equ 05-30-2017 09:48 PM

I like the tint, the clears and the blacked out kidneys.

I'm still toying with the idea of selling @41400 miles. Just went on BaT, so many auctions going on at the same time. I don't think it's a great time to be a seller. When there are a thousand unicorns out there, are they still unicorns, even if different from each other?

blee 05-30-2017 09:53 PM

The clears are definitely OE. I do like them, although the corners look sort of aftermarket despite being OE. I think it's because they're so much...erm, whiter, or something, compared to the headlight assemblies.

The car came to me with tint, and while I'm perfectly okay with its extralegal darkness, there is a bit of a bubble towards the top of the left window. I may try to smooth it out myself; replacement is always an option, but I'm terrified that the rear defogger lines will run away with the old tint.

I've thought quite a bit (probably too much) about the black/body colored bits on the car -- the kdineys, the fender grilles, the reflectors. I don't know whether the car is getting old enough that it should be put back to its showroom state, or if it looks better this way. :dunno:

I made some low profile wooden ramps a few weeks ago, and today I rolled the car onto them after a slight modification to keep them from squirting out from under the tires. It's time to tackle the rod bearings and front control arms. (I was going to wait another week or so, but I'm taking the truck to work tomorrow, and it's supposed to rain anyway, so...)

John V 05-30-2017 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 505196)
Clears are OE on the M3, period. And tint is more comfortable and good for the interior.

Nick is correct on all accounts.

blee 05-30-2017 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 505205)
I like the tint, the clears and the blacked out kidneys.

I'm still toying with the idea of selling @41400 miles. Just went on BaT, so many auctions going on at the same time. I don't think it's a great time to be a seller. When there are a thousand unicorns out there, are they still unicorns, even if different from each other?

The market is definitely tight on 6MT coupes. Low miles and unicorn configurations will get noticed. Of course, you could try to wait a few more years and see if they start to appreciate. I all but guarantee they won't depreciate any further, unless you have subframe cracks or bodywork.

rumatt 05-30-2017 10:23 PM

Quote:

When there are a thousand unicorns out there, are they still unicorns, even if different from each other?

:bustingup

Plaz 05-30-2017 10:27 PM

Quote:

When there are a thousand unicorns out there, are they still unicorns, even if different from each other?

:lol:

No, I think then they're narwhals.

SARAFIL 05-30-2017 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blee (Post 505208)
The market is definitely tight on 6MT coupes. Low miles and unicorn configurations will get noticed. Of course, you could try to wait a few more years and see if they start to appreciate. I all but guarantee they won't depreciate any further, unless you have subframe cracks or bodywork.

Must resist urge to go shopping for an M3...

Nick M3 05-31-2017 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blee (Post 505206)
The clears are definitely OE. I do like them, although the corners look sort of aftermarket despite being OE. I think it's because they're so much...erm, whiter, or something, compared to the headlight assemblies.

The car came to me with tint, and while I'm perfectly okay with its extralegal darkness, there is a bit of a bubble towards the top of the left window. I may try to smooth it out myself; replacement is always an option, but I'm terrified that the rear defogger lines will run away with the old tint.

I've thought quite a bit (probably too much) about the black/body colored bits on the car -- the kdineys, the fender grilles, the reflectors. I don't know whether the car is getting old enough that it should be put back to its showroom state, or if it looks better this way. :dunno:

I made some low profile wooden ramps a few weeks ago, and today I rolled the car onto them after a slight modification to keep them from squirting out from under the tires. It's time to tackle the rod bearings and front control arms. (I was going to wait another week or so, but I'm taking the truck to work tomorrow, and it's supposed to rain anyway, so...)

How many miles do the bearings have?

And no, the blacked out stuff does not look better. :)

bren 05-31-2017 06:59 AM

yeah, I'd probably swap out the black bits, except maybe the bumper plugs. The corners don't look right because no "egg yolk".

Nick M3 05-31-2017 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 505216)
yeah, I'd probably swap out the black bits, except maybe the bumper plugs. The corners don't look right because no "egg yolk".

That's it!

Jeff_DML 05-31-2017 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 505216)

Yeah plus no orange reflector

http://rs267.pbsrc.com/albums/ii293/...h=480&fit=clip

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4221/3...b1b4f8e1_b.jpg

wdc330i 05-31-2017 09:59 AM

I'm not a fan of the tinted look, but I understand its practicality--especially for a black car.

E46 M3s still turn my head.

Theo 05-31-2017 10:14 AM

The one Jeff posted looks like it has black headlight bezels. Where those stock?

wdc330i 05-31-2017 10:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine. With no mods. Not sure if the convertibles were speced differently.

Nick M3 05-31-2017 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo (Post 505229)
The one Jeff posted looks like it has black headlight bezels. Where those stock?

Yes. Only 330s got the weird silver headlight bezels.

blee 05-31-2017 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 505214)
How many miles do the bearings have?

To my knowledge the bearings are original, which puts about 103k on them. The car is a 7/03 build, IIRC, and therefore not part of the recall. The car sounds great and the oil analysis came out fine, but a) I don't know how many miles were on the oil before I changed it, and b) I have rod bearing scars. All of this puts bearing replacement higher on my job list than VANOS or suspension.

blee 05-31-2017 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 505236)
Mine. With no mods. Not sure if the convertibles were speced differently.

Grey interior FTW! Eventually, so many people will re-dye or swap out their grey interiors that ours will be the rare ones. :lol:

I admit that the car looks good with the original chrome pieces. I kind of have a philosophical thing against chrome-plated plastic, though, and I also am kind of digging the fockin' blacked-out look. To the point where I've contemplated a set of wheels in black/anthracite.

clyde 05-31-2017 11:09 PM

Looks nice.

I washed my car tonight after a quickie hailstorm rolled through. Not a detail like this. Been contemplating paying someone to do a thorough detail. Been thinking about it for over a year.

wdc330i 06-01-2017 10:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by blee (Post 505291)
Grey interior FTW! Eventually, so many people will re-dye or swap out their grey interiors that ours will be the rare ones. :lol:

I admit that the car looks good with the original chrome pieces. I kind of have a philosophical thing against chrome-plated plastic, though, and I also am kind of digging the fockin' blacked-out look. To the point where I've contemplated a set of wheels in black/anthracite.

I don't LOVE gray interiors, but, oddly, I've had three cars with them. The color was fine for the convertible. Helped keep the seats cool. What I didn't like were the gray plastic bits, because they tended to look yellow over time. The other benefit of the gray was that it masked bolster wear more than darker colors. Black tends to show it more than any other color.

My M240 has a mix of the black wheels and chrome bits. Hard to know which way to veer were I to change any of it. Current style is to go "carbon" on all the accent trim. Had I speced this car from the factory I might have split the difference with the "Ferric Gray" wheels--which are neither chrome nor black but somewhere in between.

Nick M3 06-01-2017 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blee (Post 505290)
To my knowledge the bearings are original, which puts about 103k on them. The car is a 7/03 build, IIRC, and therefore not part of the recall. The car sounds great and the oil analysis came out fine, but a) I don't know how many miles were on the oil before I changed it, and b) I have rod bearing scars. All of this puts bearing replacement higher on my job list than VANOS or suspension.

S54s are commodity motors, though.

Also, some 2003.5s were recalled.

blee 06-01-2017 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 505350)
S54s are commodity motors, though.

Also, some 2003.5s were recalled.

"Commodity" is a relative term, although there certainly are many more of them around right now. (And I guess they're reasonably priced...again, relative to other more exotic mills.) Still, I'd rather do the bearing job than deal with a broken engine. Broken engines suck. And anyway, I didn't buy this sweet Snap-On TechAngle to torque lug nuts. :D

The dealer service records don't have any mention of the recall, so I don't think the bottom end has been touched since it left Germany.

blee 06-01-2017 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 505297)
Looks nice.

I washed my car tonight after a quickie hailstorm rolled through. Not a detail like this. Been contemplating paying someone to do a thorough detail. Been thinking about it for over a year.

The whole wash-clay-random orbital (x2?)-wax thing is time consuming for sure. And I fully admit that my amateur job falls short of what I see coming out of the professional shops. However, it also saved me about $1300, and the improvement is apparent.

At some point I might shell out the bucks for XPel or whatever, but the multitude of rock chips on the front end are kind of turning me off to that idea at the moment. Dr. Colorchip is an option, I guess, and would cost way less than a proper respray. For now, as long as there's no rust...

Nick M3 06-01-2017 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blee (Post 505415)
The whole wash-clay-random orbital (x2?)-wax thing is time consuming for sure. And I fully admit that my amateur job falls short of what I see coming out of the professional shops. However, it also saved me about $1300, and the improvement is apparent.

At some point I might shell out the bucks for XPel or whatever, but the multitude of rock chips on the front end are kind of turning me off to that idea at the moment. Dr. Colorchip is an option, I guess, and would cost way less than a proper respray. For now, as long as there's no rust...

The pro shops also take off way more paint. :)

clyde 06-02-2017 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 505417)
The pro shops also take off way more paint. :)

For a once every 5-10 years, it's probably not much of a problem.

blee 06-06-2017 11:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And so it begins...gonna let the oil drain over night. I really don't have the time to tackle this at all this week, besides an hour or so each night, and I'll be out of town all next week. I hope my baller Esco jackstands are up to the task.

Theo 06-06-2017 11:44 PM

What happened.

blee 06-07-2017 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo (Post 505782)
What happened.

Nothing. Preventive maintenance.

Nick M3 06-07-2017 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 505535)
For a once every 5-10 years, it's probably not much of a problem.

Based on the paint meter readings that I've seen, a serious paint correction is something that you can't do more than twice.

clyde 06-07-2017 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 505788)
Based on the paint meter readings that I've seen, a serious paint correction is something that you can't do more than twice.

Lazy is lazy, so I should be covered for any car I ever own.