carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   M5 pads and rotor's (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=72340)

Theo 08-16-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 388761)
If you decide to hold onto it, I'd do the water pump, expansion tank and fan clutch as well. I know a lot of people do the radiator too, I've never had a problem with the radiator itself, just the expansion tank and hose. Mine has also been completely issue free (knock on wood)

Also good to know. Thanks.

I would not say it's been totally trouble free. It's never left me stranded but I have had things like both throttle body banks replaced under warranty for running harsh at slow speeds.

And a lot of little things. Power folding mirror motor, power seat motor and cable, back door weather seal, replaced Nav unit, broken strut bar links...... All covered.

I am more worried about what might be about to happen which is why I asked what to check.

Theo 08-16-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cenotaph (Post 388777)
Unless you need the adjustability for some reason (or just prefer really firm shocks on the street), I'd go with Koni FSDs.

Well I don't track the pig or anything but something slightly more aggressive then stock would be nice.

cenotaph 08-16-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 388778)
Reliability has been a huge issue with FSDs from what I can tell.

I only had them on my 330 for a few months, but they were great. I haven't heard anything about reliability problems, but I haven't really been keeping track.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo (Post 388783)
Well I don't track the pig or anything but something slightly more aggressive then stock would be nice.

The FSDs have trick valving that is stiffer for low speed inputs (cornering), and less stiff for high speed inputs (bumps/potholes/etc.). In general, they act like stiffer than stock shocks, except when the road is rough. I haven't heard anything about reliability problems, but you should check around.

Nick M3 08-16-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cenotaph (Post 388790)
I only had them on my 330 for a few months, but they were great. I haven't heard anything about reliability problems, but I haven't really been keeping track.

The FSDs have trick valving that is stiffer for low speed inputs (cornering), and less stiff for high speed inputs (bumps/potholes/etc.). In general, they act like stiffer than stock shocks, except when the road is rough. I haven't heard anything about reliability problems, but you should check around.

Google "koni fsd reliability" and you'll get a bit of a horror show, especially for the E39. We are talking about 10-15k typical lifespan and Koni swapping with yellows under warranty.

I really wanted to put a set on the E46 M3 (possible with camber plates), but decided against them based on the hugely negative feedback.

John V 08-16-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 388778)
Reliability has been a huge issue with FSDs from what I can tell.

Lee@ koni says the opposite.

They've been great on both our cars. 60k on the Mazda and 30k on the 330 I.

Nick M3 08-17-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 388806)
Lee@ koni says the opposite.

They've been great on both our cars. 60k on the Mazda and 30k on the 330 I.

Maybe it's an E39 specific issue? :dunno: seems like E39 guys have trouble getting past 15k with them.

Theo 09-16-2013 02:06 PM

Hey all Opinons on this pkg?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-25...ge-e39-m5.aspx

I was going order this today. Not looking for anything better then stock and this looks to be a good deal.

Thanks in advance for the advice

John V 09-16-2013 02:27 PM

Can't comment on the price, but looks like good components all around.

bren 09-16-2013 02:30 PM

IIRC I ended up finding the best deal on the brakes for my m3 from Turner when I was shopping. (I went with OE rotors and Stoptech pads.)

Theo 09-16-2013 03:32 PM

Thanks guys. I went with it since its all contained in one pkg and I needed everything listed. Good to know that are reputable components.

As far as I know these are the original brakes.

The shop is also doing some warrenty work at the same time. All new front bushings and a new guibo.

Next big ticket non covered ware item early next year, shocks and struts. I really should keep is at that point.