carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Technical Superiority (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Michelin CrossClimates (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=160643)

wdc330i 04-07-2024 12:58 PM

Michelin CrossClimates

Are these a decent choice for my son's Mazda CX5? It's FWD and the garbage Toyos are shot.

The All Season 4s are actually cheaper, but he may want to head to the NC mountains for skiing, and could probably benefit from the CrossClimate's snowflake rating...

FC 04-07-2024 01:04 PM

I've heard great things about those tires. From what I understand they are about the best all-seasons for winter while still being pretty good the rest of the time.

wdc330i 04-07-2024 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 603852)
I've heard great things about those tires. From what I understand they are about the best all-seasons for winter while still being pretty good the rest of the time.

Thanks, FC. It's odd that the Conti DWS are not available for his car, so this does seem the best choice.

FC 04-07-2024 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 603855)
Thanks, FC. It's odd that the Conti DWS are not available for his car, so this does seem the best choice.

This is a very good video.

Josh (PA) 04-07-2024 10:19 PM

I have them on my daughter's rogue. They seem solid.

equ 04-07-2024 11:26 PM

I've driven them on an old peugeot, very good in the wet. Not tried snow, but the tread seems aggressive.

wdc330i 04-08-2024 10:19 AM

Thanks all! Michelin now as CrossClimate2, but I imagine they are similar/better.

FC 04-08-2024 01:00 PM

Watching that video, and echoing comments by Nick and others, the All-season PS is so damn goo din the dry, it makes little sense to get the full PS.

That said, winter performance is marginal, but I have winter tires, so I'm good with that. I would happily trade off that final 5% of performance in the dry for significantly better performance in the shoulder season.

At the same time, the AS PS4 seems to be a bit of an extreme AS tire. The Crossclimate seems like a very solid year round tire.

I'll probably buy the full PS tires for the 718 when it needs new ones, but I am seriously considering the AS PS4 for the M5. Maybe t will make the ride better too. The ride on the P-Zero's seems stiff.

wdc330i 04-10-2024 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 603870)
Watching that video, and echoing comments by Nick and others, the All-season PS is so damn goo din the dry, it makes little sense to get the full PS.

That said, winter performance is marginal, but I have winter tires, so I'm good with that. I would happily trade off that final 5% of performance in the dry for significantly better performance in the shoulder season.

At the same time, the AS PS4 seems to be a bit of an extreme AS tire. The Crossclimate seems like a very solid year round tire.

I'll probably buy the full PS tires for the 718 when it needs new ones, but I am seriously considering the AS PS4 for the M5. Maybe t will make the ride better too. The ride on the P-Zero's seems stiff.

I swapped my PS4 tires for AS PS4. Does not feel like a sacrifice at all in the summer, and inspires more confidence in our other three seasons here. Plus, we get a ton of rain here in all four seasons.

Nick M3 04-10-2024 11:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 603870)

I would describe that AS3+ as "usable" in light snow based on my testing. It'll cover you if you really need it, but it's definitely not the first choice. As a second/third choice for winter driving, it's great in DC. I'd definitely want more winter traction available further north in a daily.