carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Technical Superiority (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   More aggressive pads for E90 (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=141951)

rumatt 11-23-2017 08:10 PM

More aggressive pads for E90

Does anyone have a suggestion on what pads to try next on the E90 325xi? The initial bite on the stock pads is OK, but the amount of pedal force needed to stop quickly is annoyingly high.

Ideally I'd like something with more stopping power than stock, but still not screechy when cold. Does such a thing exist?

rumatt 11-23-2017 08:40 PM

And as long as we have a brake thread going....

I'm putting new pads and rotors on the E46 soon too. I am completely happy with the E46 330 braking, but the brake dust is annoying. Should I try Axxis Ultimates, which supposedly dust less and offer similar performance? I'm thinking I should just stick with what's been working the last 14 years, despite the fact that the brake dust is slowly destroying my front rims..

I'm thinking zimmerman rotors.

equ 11-23-2017 09:08 PM

I'm happy with zimmerman rotors (better than OEM) for the f10 and textar pads (OEM supplier but not branded). Dustless would be good but you'd be giving up bite, methinks.

You don't find e90 stopping power enough? The brakes cannot overwhelm your tires?

rumatt 11-23-2017 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 517252)
I'm happy with zimmerman rotors (better than OEM) for the f10 and textar pads (OEM supplier but not branded). Dustless would be good but you'd be giving up bite, methinks.

Cool thanks. That's exactly what is in my ECS cart. But I was just recently cursing while cleaning my wheels so I started thinking: hmmm dustless? I'll probably pass. I really like the current braking.

Quote:

You don't find e90 stopping power enough? The brakes cannot overwhelm your tires?
It can, but with decent tires on the car you really have to stand on the brakes.

JV just out new rotors and rear pads on the car. (zimmerman and textar). But I forgot to order the front pads so they're whatever was already on the car. I could always try new textar to see if it makes a difference.

But the 325 has little rotors. Did you ever have one? The 330 brakes are larger so it's no comparison.

bren 11-23-2017 10:49 PM

I tried some ceramic akebono(?) to get away from dusty pads. Took them off after like a week, they were awful. After that I bought stoptech pads. They are less awful, but still bad. At that point I didn't feel like burning more money so I'm living with them. So, I wouldn't do either of those.

Nick M3 11-24-2017 06:07 AM

If you hate the effort, you should either get stock BMW, or go to conepacking compounds. Less dust pretty much always means more pedal effort.

rumatt 11-24-2017 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 517259)
If you hate the effort, you should either get stock BMW, or go to conepacking compounds. Less dust pretty much always means more pedal effort.

Yeah I don't care about dust on the e90, just pedal force. Any specific pad suggestions?

Nick M3 11-24-2017 01:36 PM

Hawk HP+, and live with the noise.

bren 11-24-2017 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 517272)
Hawk HP+, and live with the noise.

That's a lot of noise, and dust.

rumatt 11-24-2017 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 517284)
That's a lot of noise, and dust.

Yeah, not worth it for that.

So better stopping power without noise is a no-go?