carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Technical Superiority (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Anyone know what causes this ?? (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=138860)

3LOU5 08-25-2017 10:06 PM

Anyone know what causes this ??
 
It seems that every time (well, not EVERY time, but about 50% of the time) my E46 sits in the garage for more than two weeks and I start it, it runs rough. When I apply power, there isn't any, and the CEL comes on.

I'll pull off to the side of the road, shut it off and wait a minute or so. Then, I'll start it and everything is back to normal: no CEL and runs smooth as silk.

I'm thinking it could be a idle control valve issue. I haven't cleaned the ICV in quite a while.

Anybody else have any other ideas/suggestions ??

rumatt 08-25-2017 10:08 PM

Whoa. Bizarre. Not among any of the things I've seen.

I'm sure JV will have some thoughts

3LOU5 08-25-2017 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 510863)
Whoa. Bizarre. Not among any of the things I've seen.

I'm sure JV will have some thoughts

Right ?? It IS bizarre.

Guess that is why I try to drive it as much as I can. Kind of a no-brainer, since my other driving option is a gas-guzzling behemoth that is my Silverado that handles like a pig in a mud bath....

rumatt 08-25-2017 10:18 PM

Pig in a mud bath. Lol

bren 08-25-2017 11:51 PM

Have you taken it anywhere to see if there are stored codes? If the CEL is coming on, I have to think there will be something useful.

3LOU5 08-26-2017 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 510868)
Have you taken it anywhere to see if there are stored codes? If the CEL is coming on, I have to think there will be something useful.

No, I haven't. If the CEL was back on after the restart, I would've hooked up my code reader and see what codes were stored.

Guess I'll hook it up tomorrow and see what happens....

:dunno::dunno:

John V 08-26-2017 07:26 AM

Anytime the CEL comes on, there will be a stored code.

My guess is that the battery voltage is getting low during the long downtime and it's causing the DME to wig out. These cars are very sensitive to battery voltage. How old is the battery?

3LOU5 08-26-2017 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 510871)
Anytime the CEL comes on, there will be a stored code.

My guess is that the battery voltage is getting low during the long downtime and it's causing the DME to wig out. These cars are very sensitive to battery voltage. How old is the battery?

Not sure. I'm guessing 3-4 years.

Just woke up, gonna connect my reader in a few and report results.

3LOU5 08-26-2017 06:29 PM

Connected my INNOVA 3100 code reader and didn't pull up any codes.

I'm wondering if I need a BMW-specific code reader....


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC