carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Technical Superiority (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Tire advice urgently needed (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=2598)

TD 08-11-2004 08:55 PM

Tire advice urgently needed

This is odd.

Some of you may recall me bitching about the flat spots on the Bridgestone S-03s I inherited from a generous board member. I had them installed on the front wheels of my M3 along with brand new rear S-03s last year and immediately felt a strong vibration. Upon further review, I determined that the donated (not new) tires weren't round.

Well, I never did anything about it and the symptoms seemed to go away. So I quit worrying about it.

ThenI got my car aligned yesterday and the vibration is back. Bad. And when I jacked up the car tonight to investigate, one spin of the wheel and I could see exactly what I could last year.

Now the fronts are almost to the wear bars (the rears still look like they have about 5K to go until they get to their wear bars) and I've decided that I will go insane driving on these tires much longer. I tired of the tramlining characteristics of the S-03s some time ago so I'm ready to make a switch.

I need advice.

Here's what I'm looking for:
- VERY sticky
- STIFF sidewall (I want crisp turn-in and a firm ride)
- As little tramlining as possible
- Decent water evacuation

What I don't care about:
- Stylish tread pattern
- Price (to a point)
- Wear characteristics
- Noise

Since a few of you guys practically live at Radial Tire, I figure this is a good place to start.

zach 08-11-2004 09:00 PM

I am very, VERY pleased with my PS2s. I can't say enough good things about thems. I've even auto-xed on them (once) and they were sticky as hell.

They also have superb wet traction/

They are cheaper than the S-03s too.

Rob 08-11-2004 09:04 PM

I am also very pleased with the PS2s. They have more cornering ability than I do. I wouldn't know about water evacuation, but I hear they are good at that too.

JST 08-11-2004 09:10 PM

Re: Tire advice urgently needed

Quote:

Originally Posted by TD
This is odd.

Some of you may recall me bitching about the flat spots on the Bridgestone S-03s I inherited from a generous board member. I had them installed on the front wheels of my M3 along with brand new rear S-03s last year and immediately felt a strong vibration. Upon further review, I determined that the donated (not new) tires weren't round.

Well, I never did anything about it and the symptoms seemed to go away. So I quit worrying about it.

ThenI got my car aligned yesterday and the vibration is back. Bad. And when I jacked up the car tonight to investigate, one spin of the wheel and I could see exactly what I could last year.

Now the fronts are almost to the wear bars (the rears still look like they have about 5K to go until they get to their wear bars) and I've decided that I will go insane driving on these tires much longer. I tired of the tramlining characteristics of the S-03s some time ago so I'm ready to make a switch.

I need advice.

Here's what I'm looking for:
- VERY sticky
- STIFF sidewall (I want crisp turn-in and a firm ride)
- As little tramlining as possible
- Decent water evacuation

What I don't care about:
- Stylish tread pattern
- Price (to a point)
- Wear characteristics
- Noise

Since a few of you guys practically live at Radial Tire, I figure this is a good place to start.

I think PS2s are going to be a good bet, though I've never driven on them.

Honestly, I love the T1-S Proxes. It does not have the massively strong sidewall that you describe, but turn-in is still decently crisp, and it has great grip. Even though you are not price-sensitive, it's nice that they are cheap, as well. It's great in the rain (far better than either the Contis, Sumitomos, or Pilot Sports), and it does not tramline at all.

EDIT: If you come out to Rosecroft early on Sunday, you can try them.

blee 08-11-2004 09:17 PM

I've heard good things about Proxes, especially compared against the OEM Pilot Sports. I don't know that they're the best that money can buy, but they are consistently lauded for being an excellent tire at a good price.

bren 08-11-2004 09:18 PM

Toyo RA-1 :p

clyde 08-11-2004 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren

I was going to say the same thing. :D

dan 08-11-2004 09:28 PM

the one negative i have of the T1-S is the soft sidewall.

but this is on 205/50/16s on the MINI.

clyde 08-11-2004 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde
Quote:

Originally Posted by bren

I was going to say the same thing. :D

Actually, if you can live with the sizing, Azenis may be a good choice and you can't argue with the pricing.

Nick M3 08-11-2004 09:35 PM

Toyo RA-1s are also my recommendation. And they have unbelievable straightline traction, which is just weird in an R-tire.