carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Technical Superiority (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Thinking about drilled and slotted rotors (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=160410)

3LOU5 09-06-2023 01:43 PM

Thinking about drilled and slotted rotors

So I performed a complete brake fluid flush on our Sienna, and replaced the rotors and pads on all four corners last weekend.

It just so happens that my E46 is due for the same exact thing. Instead of buying solid rotors like I did for our van, I'm thinking of making my car look a little "cooler" with drilled and slotted rotors. This will be the first time I've ever installed these type of rotors on my car. I'm not gonna go to a track, but I drive in some twisty mountain roads so prevalent here in the Reno/Tahoe region.

Three questions:

(1) How long will the pads last when compared to an OEM-style set-up ?? If, for example, my pads usually last 5 years, how long will pads last when the "cheese grater effect" comes into play ??

(2) How quickly do these things produce brake dust ?? If, for example, I clean my rims every 4 weeks, will I have to clean them more often ?? Like every 2 weeks ????

(3) For my application, do you think this set-up is overkill and is it worth the added $100-150 ??

Thanks in advance ....

3LOU5 09-06-2023 01:49 PM

BTW, the aftermarket rims I have really showcase the rotors. If they didn't, the decision to buy drilled and slotted rotors would have never have even, um, "surfaced".

:lol: :lol:

Nick M3 09-06-2023 03:04 PM

1) Eh, marginal.
2) Still marginal.
3) If you like to look at them, sure.

Note: Drilled rotors are WORSE for track use because they’re more likely to crack. they do have advantages in clearing water in very wet conditions.

JST 09-06-2023 03:37 PM

I personally think drilled and slotted rotors are a bit odd looking; one or the other, but not both.

Otherwise, agree with Nick. There won’t be a performance upside but there’s not likely to be a downside other than cost, so if you like the way they look go for it.

dan 09-06-2023 03:44 PM

I wanna know what wheels you have

FC 09-06-2023 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 599408)
I personally think drilled and slotted rotors are a bit odd looking; one or the other, but not both.

This.

3LOU5 09-06-2023 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 599406)
1) Eh, marginal.
2) Still marginal.
3) If you like to look at them, sure.

Note: Drilled rotors are WORSE for track use because they’re more likely to crack. they do have advantages in clearing water in very wet conditions.

Good to know, thanks !!

3LOU5 09-06-2023 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 599408)

Otherwise, agree with Nick. There won’t be a performance upside but there’s not likely to be a downside other than cost, so if you like the way they look go for it.

Drilled AND slotted does seem over the top, huh ??

I suppose I’m the overcompensating type, lol.

3LOU5 09-06-2023 06:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan (Post 599409)
I wanna know what wheels you have

They’re what you call “poseur” wheels.

Those silver bolts are fake and it is a 1-piece (heavy) wheel.

Oh well. At least I didn’t slap an ///M3 badge on the back, lol.