carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   M3 or RS3? (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=138118)

FC 08-03-2017 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML (Post 509442)
why is the M2 not a option, number of doors?

If you test drive one see if it auto upshifts near redline. That bugs me since I want full control if driving an auto:?

Recent review of the RS3 I read made the handling sound pretty fun. Quattro or audi sport or whatever they are called seems to have tuned the haldex pretty good.

Yup. I need a sedan. Otherwise I'd never have sold the Turbo.

Yeah it's that kind of thing that bothers me about non-manuals; eventually they seem to want to take over.

Same with skipping gears up or down, or just disengaging the drivetrain with the clutch. Or one I heard about the F8X: You cannot put the car in neutral without starting it (??!!!). What if it's dead and needs to be towed?!

Nick M3 08-03-2017 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 509448)
Yup. I need a sedan. Otherwise I'd never have sold the Turbo.

Yeah it's that kind of thing that bothers me about non-manuals; eventually they seem to want to take over.

Same with skipping gears up or down, or just disengaging the drivetrain with the clutch. Or one I heard about the F8X: You cannot put the car in neutral without starting it (??!!!). What if it's dead and needs to be towed?!

Meh. If you have a car that can shift faster than you can think about it, why wouldn't you want auto-upshift? It's not like SMGII, where you don't want it to shift without your consent because it'll get confused.

I mean, put me firmly in the manual is more fun bracket, but a good DCT transmission shouldn't try to be manual for the sake of wanting too much control.

Jeff_DML 08-03-2017 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 509449)
Meh. If you have a car that can shift faster than you can think about it, why wouldn't you want auto-upshift? It's not like SMGII, where you don't want it to shift without your consent because it'll get confused.

I mean, put me firmly in the manual is more fun bracket, but a good DCT transmission shouldn't try to be manual for the sake of wanting too much control.

There has been turns in auto-x/tracks in which I want to hold the gear and potentially bounce of rev limiter. So I want to make the decision whether to upshift or not. Auto is for auto upshifting IMHO

Nick M3 08-03-2017 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML (Post 509451)
There has been turns in auto-x/tracks in which I want to hold the gear and potentially bounce of rev limiter. So I want to make the decision whether to upshift or not. Auto is for auto upshifting IMHO

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t want to upshift in a DCT car. Bouncing off the rev limiter is destabilizing and slow. The logic of “upshifting will destabilize the car and it takes too long to downshift shortly after” no longer applies.

Jeff_DML 08-03-2017 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 509453)
I don’t understand why you wouldn’t want to upshift in a DCT car. Bouncing off the rev limiter is destabilizing and slow. The logic of “upshifting will destabilize the car and it takes too long to downshift shortly after” no longer applies.

good points , also upshifting got it the lagging/low torque of the powerband. But guess I need to own one but still do not see the harm of allowing full control in manual mode, Porsche and BMW do as far as I know.

Alan 08-03-2017 07:11 PM

I'm a big fan of the RS3 and from driving my son's A3 I really think it is an amazing car so the RS3 has to be worlds better !! We have 2 cars with the S-tronic transmission and the shifts are instantaneous ... it is a REALLY great transmission but OTOH there is no manual available which I know is a downside for you.

I think you might want to drive one first to see how the S tronic is programmed which I'm sure is more aggressive than our A3 & A ... my brother has the DCT in his E93 M3 and it engages like a manual. It has some hesitation and bumping around which IMO makes it fun.

Is the Alfa 4 door available in a manual ... it might be something to consider.

FC 08-03-2017 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 509467)
Is the Alfa 4 door available in a manual ... it might be something to consider.

Sadly, no. But quality seems highly suspect and it's even more money than the M3.

wdc330i 08-03-2017 10:06 PM

So, four door requirement is really a damper on fun car choices. Is it a straw dog?

Because, I'll bet you can't beat the M2 or M240 for fun, and they do seat 4, with manual transmissons available.

You could probably even replace the Miata, if you got an M240 convertible.

FC 08-03-2017 10:08 PM

A sedan is a must and non-negotiable.

wdc330i 08-03-2017 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 509478)
A sedan is a must and non-negotiable.

This is how we end up buying cars we don't love. And then selling them 2 years later...