carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Cars you'd buy if you could get them with a MT (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=159529)

FC 08-06-2020 12:44 PM

Cars you'd buy if you could get them with a MT

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...-need-manuals/

I agree with a lot of these. And it's tragic that the 3er is on that list.

Jeff_DML 08-06-2020 12:56 PM

I probably only agree about half of them. Sadly I dont have any interest in the 3 series anymore

Josh (PA) 08-06-2020 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML (Post 562444)
I probably only agree about half of them. Sadly I dont have any interest in the 3 series anymore

I do wish more cars had a cost option to add a manual. In reality, my wife prefers an auto on her daily, so we wouldn't buy a manual wagon or 3er at this point, even if one was offered. If more sports cars had a manual I would have definitely widened my net when I got the Porsche, but i don't know I'd have bought something else at the end of shopping. The 4c is too small and minimalistic, the F-type would have scared me with jag reliability, a new z4 wouldn't have been able to measure up to a used 911, I would have ultimately turned my nose at the American offerings except maybe a c8, which I wouldn't have been able to get until who know when. I would have strongly considered a manual M2 vert.

lemming 08-06-2020 01:50 PM

Corvette.

Supra.

AMG GT.

These are cars I’d suddenly be hot after if they came with manuals.

Hence my tilting at the ZL1 windmill for now.

wdc330i 08-06-2020 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 562450)
I do wish more cars had a cost option to add a manual. In reality, my wife prefers an auto on her daily, so we wouldn't buy a manual wagon or 3er at this point, even if one was offered. If more sports cars had a manual I would have definitely widened my net when I got the Porsche, but i don't know I'd have bought something else at the end of shopping. The 4c is too small and minimalistic, the F-type would have scared me with jag reliability, a new z4 wouldn't have been able to measure up to a used 911, I would have ultimately turned my nose at the American offerings except maybe a c8, which I wouldn't have been able to get until who know when. I would have strongly considered a manual M2 vert.

Yes. To all of this. I do have a troublesome left knee. Is it bad enough to make me miserable with my only car as a manual? I do worry about that. I would risk the weekend/fun car being a manual, but don't think I can go there with my only car. The knee is not likely to get any better, and will probably get worse.

Nick M3 08-06-2020 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 562453)
Yes. To all of this. I do have a troublesome left knee. Is it bad enough to make me miserable with my only car as a manual? I do worry about that. I would risk the weekend/fun car being a manual, but don't think I can go there with my only car. The knee is not likely to get any better, and will probably get worse.

Luckily, you can get the M3 in DCT.

Jeff_DML 08-06-2020 02:03 PM

Supra needs a MT option badly. Always thought that alfa 4c should too but it is EOF.

wdc330i 08-06-2020 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 562455)
Luckily, you can get the M3 in DCT.

Yep. Although, admittedly, less exciting.

JST 08-06-2020 02:06 PM

There are so few cars with manuals anymore that the real answer is that I'd consider anything with a manual. Doesn't mean I'd buy it, but I'd certainly give it some thought.

At this point, the more interesting question for me is what happens when I need to replace the M3. Maybe a new M3, but that sounds like $$$$. Maybe something used. But I have zero interest in a high performance ICE car with a DCT or automatic. I just won't buy one.

robg 08-06-2020 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 562458)
There are so few cars with manuals anymore that the real answer is that I'd consider anything with a manual. Doesn't mean I'd buy it, but I'd certainly give it some thought.

At this point, the more interesting question for me is what happens when I need to replace the M3. Maybe a new M3, but that sounds like $$$$. Maybe something used. But I have zero interest in a high performance ICE car with a DCT or automatic. I just won't buy one.

Accord sport with 6mt?