carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   SUV tire recommendations (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=82666)

Josh (PA) 02-26-2014 02:11 PM

SUV tire recommendations

The MDX needs new tires. I'm currently running Michelin Latitudes, they were very meh (the whole truck is very meh, though so I can't really discern any tire performance).

Has anyone put a set of tires on their SUV recently that they really like or would recommend? I'm going to do some poking around tirerack and call my local tire place as well, but I value the feedback I get here.

Biggins 02-26-2014 02:36 PM

I'm curious too. My CRV needs new tires soon. I'm on some type of mediocre Goodyear all season touring tire, but one has a slight bubble/bulge and a bit of dry rot on all four.

Tire Rack (and reviewers) seems to recommend the General Altimax RT43 for the uses that mine sees. I'm leaning toward them, but I really don't want to spend more money on my beater.

bren 02-26-2014 03:06 PM

I wouldn't expect an MDX (or a CRV for that matter) to be much more than meh on any tire. :dunno:

I've only run A/T tires on the Jeep & Truck - not sure that's what you want(?) Always seemed to me that max traction trumps road manners in this type of vehicle, but that's probably just me.

It looks like you can upsize the MDX to a 265/60-18 to get a decent selection of a/t tires, but I certainly wouldn't expect them to improve road handling and such over an all-season type tire.

It looks like you can get the Mich LTX M/S2 to fit, and that's probably what I'd pick.

FC 02-26-2014 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 407717)
I wouldn't expect an MDX (or a CRV for that matter) to be much more than meh on any tire. :dunno:

I agree.

I had Michelin LTX A/T on my Jeep and liked them a lot, but they may be too aggressive for an MDX.

I drive the LR4 in a way where I suspect the tire would have to be awful for me to notice during normal driving. The OEM contis that people seem to hate seem to have plenty of grip for stopping, allow the car to have decent steering feedback, don't squeal on moderate turns, and are not terribly on the highway. That's about all I care about besides cost and wear ratings. I accidentally got close to 90mph once on our last drive to Canada, but for wind noise and fuel reasons, I usually keep it in the 70's.

Jeff_DML 02-26-2014 03:41 PM

SUV are meh, I just put some long lasting decent brand tires on my wife highlander. Got whatever was on sale at costco, not sure if I will go back there again.

Josh (PA) 02-26-2014 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 407720)
I agree.

I had Michelin LTX A/T on my Jeep and liked them a lot, but they may be too aggressive for an MDX.

I drive the LR4 in a way where I suspect the tire would have to be awful for me to notice during normal driving. The OEM contis that people seem to hate seem to have plenty of grip for stopping, allow the car to have decent steering feedback, don't squeal on moderate turns, and are not terribly on the highway. That's about all I care about besides cost and wear ratings. I accidentally got close to 90mph once on our last drive to Canada, but for wind noise and fuel reasons, I usually keep it in the 70's.

Which Contis are they? I got a quote on CrossContact LX20 that were $400+ less than the Michelin. I think i'll give them a try onless some had a bad experiences

FC 02-26-2014 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 407724)
Which Contis are they? I got a quote on CrossContact LX20 that were $400+ less than the Michelin. I think i'll give them a try onless some had a bad experiences

Looks like Continental 4X4 Contact.

http://www.continentaltire.ca/www/ti...ontact_en.html

kognito 02-26-2014 03:58 PM

I have ContiProContact Continentals on the Tiguan, but I deal with more rain then snow

Jeff_DML 02-26-2014 04:01 PM

My meh tires are Bridgestone dueler h/t 689. They seem fine to me for a suv tire.

wdc330i 02-26-2014 04:38 PM

Just bought another set of Michelin Latitudes for the X5. They were OEM and are quite good.