carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Technical Superiority (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Engine/Transmission Question (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=133000)

3LOU5 03-01-2017 10:54 PM

Engine/Transmission Question

In your opinion/experience, which engine do you think will have more trouble-free miles ??

A) Normally-aspirated 3.7L V-6 (I believe it's a Ford powerplant)
B) Turbocharged 2.5L in-line four

Transmission:

A) 6-speed automatic
B) CVT (the latest CVT in the Nissan Murano....guess what I'm trying to figure out is if those Nissan CVTs are beefy/reliable enough to handle their V-6)

3LOU5 03-01-2017 11:14 PM

I have NO experience with turbos.

In fact, the only turbo I've ever driven was a Saab 900 back in the early '90s. While fun-to-drive, especially up in the mountains of Colorado where I was passing normally-aspirated cars left and right, the replacement of its turbo was ridonkulous.....like $1200 iirc....JUST FOR THE PART !!

I'm wondering if the today's turbos are better than the ones back then. With proper care, how long do I expect one to last ??

I'm thinking also that today's synthetic oils are WAY better equipped to handle the stress and extreme heat of such devices.

:dunno::dunno:

Nick M3 03-02-2017 07:15 AM

CVTs are awful. Stay away.

And a turbo will pretty much always be less reliable than an N/A motor. More parts to fail. But they are pretty durable these days.

FC 03-02-2017 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 497608)

And a turbo will pretty much always be less reliable than an N/A motor. More parts to fail. But they are pretty durable these days.

:+1 to both.

bren 03-02-2017 09:25 AM

Need to know more about engine architecture. Compression ratio. Hydraulic or solid lifter? Timing chain or belt? Manufacturer service requirements, etc..

Nick M3 03-02-2017 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 497620)
Need to know more about engine architecture. Compression ratio. Hydraulic or solid lifter? Timing chain or belt? Manufacturer service requirements, etc..

We are talking minivan/SUV engines. :p I'm pretty confident that there won't be any solid lifters.

bren 03-02-2017 09:32 AM

Yeah, I threw that in for (my own) fun. :lol:

ff 03-02-2017 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 497608)

For someone that insists on rowing their own gears, it's not going to be a fun experience. But these transmissions have gotten better in recent years, such that I wouldn't any longer accept a blanket, unqualified "they're awful" statement.

I haven't driven a Nissan with a CVT, but the Honda units aren't bad at all. I have extensive experience with the Accord CVT (owned previous to the Pilot), and it was surprisingly good. I'd take that over a regular geared slushie any day. Seriously. It's a different experience, but it's not worse.

I do have concerns about longevity and durability of CVTs, but only because I'm not informed enough about the inner-workings to know if it's a weak point in the drivetrain.

Nick M3 03-02-2017 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ff (Post 497635)
For someone that insists on rowing their own gears, it's not going to be a fun experience. But these transmissions have gotten better in recent years, such that I wouldn't any longer accept a blanket, unqualified "they're awful" statement.

I haven't driven a Nissan with a CVT, but the Honda units aren't bad at all. I have extensive experience with the Accord CVT (owned previous to the Pilot), and it was surprisingly good. I'd take that over a regular geared slushie any day. Seriously. It's a different experience, but it's not worse.

I do have concerns about longevity and durability of CVTs, but only because I'm not informed enough about the inner-workings to know if it's a weak point in the drivetrain.

I've driven a recent Nissan CVT. It managed to combine all of the annoyances of a CVT with all of the annoyances of an automatic - including FAKE GEARS. Yes, that right. Fake gears. Because people complained about the monotonous buzzing of a CVT, they decided to try to give it pretend gears so that it felt more like a traditional automatic.

rumatt 03-02-2017 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 497637)
I've driven a recent Nissan CVT. It managed to combine all of the annoyances of a CVT with all of the annoyances of an automatic - including FAKE GEARS. Yes, that right. Fake gears. Because people complained about the monotonous buzzing of a CVT, they decided to try to give it pretend gears so that it felt more like a traditional automatic.

Noooooooooooo!!! :banghead: