carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Fuck Tesla (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=158831)

clyde 11-26-2019 11:58 PM

Fuck Tesla

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/da...jQAgtTUIU=w800

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/wK...QOV2lPiAw=w800

The car owner sent me a photo of the estimate, added some details, and gave me the shop info. I called the shop and spoke to it's owner. Conversation was pretty entertaining. He says he hasn't had done a Tesla that's bricked yet, but he hasn't had one this new either (his first 2020 model...did I mention in the other thread the owner took delivery the day before my daughter scraped it last week?)[edited to add], but if it does, he'll have to get a Tesla tech to come out to unbrick it at an extra cost of about $200[end edit]. I texted the car owner back asking if she wanted me to send a check. That was at noon, about 15 minutes after she texted me. It's now just after midnight and she hasn't responded. Wonder if she will call me at 6:00am tomorrow? :rolleyes:

Alan 11-27-2019 05:06 AM

Yes it sucks but you are still getting away cheap, my sons first incident cost me over $9k and unfortunately there were a few more after that ...

rumatt 11-27-2019 07:50 AM

Sorry she got in an accident. :(

Is $800 a lot to fix a bumper though? I was expecting worse.

JST 11-27-2019 08:18 AM

Yeah, $800 seems pretty reasonable for paintwork like that.

John V 11-27-2019 08:23 AM

I'm trying to understand the connection between the thread title and the thread content.

clyde 11-27-2019 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 554068)
Yeah, $800 seems pretty reasonable for paintwork like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 554069)
I'm trying to understand the connection between the thread title and the thread content.

Maybe I'm missing something (and as I look at it again, think I may be). The woman texted me a photo of the printed estimate (same numbers as what the shop emailed me and posted above) and also told me that the shop told her there may an additional $200 charge if they need a Tesla tech to scan and reset the sensors. The shop owner said the same thing.

As I look at the estimate now, though, it looks like the Tesla support is already included. If that is already included in the estimate and the cost drops to $630ish without the Tesla support, I concede this was posted in error due to my misreading.

It's weird, though. The shop owner walked me through the process (of the repair and where they could need Tesla support if their equipment doesn't work) and it all fit...until looking at those last two lines again.

robg 11-27-2019 11:21 AM

I'm still confused as well. What does a bumper scrape have to do with a Tesla being "bricked"? It seems like a pretty normal estimate to repair bumper damage like this.

John V 11-27-2019 11:28 AM

Clyde I read your post several times and I don't see mention of the extra charges. I also don't understand the "bricked" statement. It seems like there is a lot of information missing from your post, or I'm just easily confused.

dan 11-27-2019 11:33 AM

"pre and post scan"
"reset front parking sensors"

$210

John V 11-27-2019 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan (Post 554086)
"pre and post scan"
"reset front parking sensors"

$210

Um, thanks?

Doesn't answer my questions.

dan 11-27-2019 11:43 AM

those are the extra charges, I'm assuming

clyde 11-27-2019 11:53 AM

In the original post, it looks like I deleted a line (corrected now).

The bumper cover needs to come off along with everything associated with that like disconnecting the sensors (you know for the self-driving because, you know Tesla, therefore, "fuck Tesla," and if you don't get the humor, well, your loss). When you disconnect any of the sensors and reconnect them, there's a possibility the car can get bricked without Tesla specific tools. The guy said it hasn't happened to them yet on any Teslas they've worked on, but this is the first MY2020 car they've had in, so he's not sure.

If it was normal paint on a normal car, the paint would cost less, there would be less labor, less risk of subcontracting additional work (bringing in an outside tech), and thus cost less.

I also didn't mention that the car will be in the shop for five days. Much of it for the curing time for the special paint.

FWIW, it's been 24 hours since I asked her if she wanted me to send a check and no response.

John V 11-27-2019 11:55 AM

Makes sense.

She may just be planning to let her insurance deal with it and subrogate as needed. That's probably what I would do.

clyde 11-27-2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 554091)
Makes sense.

She may just be planning to let her insurance deal with it and subrogate as needed. That's probably what I would do.

She could be, but she hasn't told me that. And...the insurance company sections of the estimate are blank. The shop owner was under the impression it was be a cash payment. When I spoke to car owner last week and said I'd cover it, I thought we understood that meant I'd take care of the billing. Maybe not. I guess I'll find out at some point.

robg 11-27-2019 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 554090)
In the original post, it looks like I deleted a line (corrected now).

The bumper cover needs to come off along with everything associated with that like disconnecting the sensors (you know for the self-driving because, you know Tesla, therefore, "fuck Tesla," and if you don't get the humor, well, your loss). When you disconnect any of the sensors and reconnect them, there's a possibility the car can get bricked without Tesla specific tools. The guy said it hasn't happened to them yet on any Teslas they've worked on, but this is the first MY2020 car they've had in, so he's not sure.

If it was normal paint on a normal car, the paint would cost less, there would be less labor, less risk of subcontracting additional work (bringing in an outside tech), and thus cost less.

I also didn't mention that the car will be in the shop for five days. Much of it for the curing time for the special paint.

FWIW, it's been 24 hours since I asked her if she wanted me to send a check and no response.

I see. What's special about the paint? Something specific to the red they use?

JST 11-27-2019 01:30 PM

It’s called “multi coat red;” I don’t know exactly what’s special about it, but Musk describes it as having pigment in the clear coat itself for depth and complexity. No idea if that’s BS or not.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/...336629249?s=20

robg 11-27-2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 554099)
It’s called “multi coat red;” I don’t know exactly what’s special about it, but Musk describes it as having pigment in the clear coat itself for depth and complexity. No idea if that’s BS or not.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/...336629249?s=20

Right- so maybe it does require a special process to repair? That being said, any high-end vehicle is going to have quirks that make it more expesnive to repair.

ZBB 11-30-2019 01:17 PM

Honestly, that seems pretty reasonable for the repair cost... And its not just Tesla that will require sensors to be reset -- pretty much anything with parking sensors would have to have that type of cost...

I love my Model 3, but don't think I'll get MC Red again. Great color, but any issues with it are tough to repair.

I've had it in now several times for paint...
- There was a visible dried drip on the front trunk lid -- this was in the shop for a week to re-paint shortly after pickup. I literally picked up the car the evening before the accident.
- Accident -- damage to drivers side rear 3/4 panel, rear door and more. Was in shop for 5 months...
- Trunk leak. They ended up replacing the rear trunk lid - so it had to be painted. was in the shop for a week when the trunk was re-painted...
- And now I'm getting some paint flaking off on the rocker panel under the driver's door. This was part of the accident repair re-paint. Its going back in on Dec 9 to be corrected (covered by the body shop warranty)... Again, this is expected to be int he shop for several days to a week...

clyde 11-30-2019 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBB (Post 554171)
I love my Model 3, but don't think I'll get MC Red again. Great color, but any issues with it are tough to repair.

I've had it in now several times for paint...
- There was a visible dried drip on the front trunk lid -- this was in the shop for a week to re-paint shortly after pickup. I literally picked up the car the evening before the accident.
- Accident -- damage to drivers side rear 3/4 panel, rear door and more. Was in shop for 5 months...
- Trunk leak. They ended up replacing the rear trunk lid - so it had to be painted. was in the shop for a week when the trunk was re-painted...
- And now I'm getting some paint flaking off on the rocker panel under the driver's door. This was part of the accident repair re-paint. Its going back in on Dec 9 to be corrected (covered by the body shop warranty)... Again, this is expected to be int he shop for several days to a week...

That's no fun.

All paint repairs can be tough and anything beyond a plain basic no-metal flake color makes them all that much harder. My take is that it's not worth the headache to try to properly fix small stuff (like this Tesla scratch). Some careful touch up, with no expectations of it looking perfect, at most. Anything more and there's a substantial risk of it not matching, future flaking, future fade rate/behavior differences, Carfax ding, etc. Even a sub-medicore touch up won't ever look worse than a sub-medicore touch up of something insignificant. Those other things tend to look much worse and cause more resale issues. My opinion, anyway.

If I were in your place, I'm not sure what I would have done about the paint drip. The quality control issues with the early 3 deliveries would have given me pause about waiting, but I don't think I would have wanted to try to fix it...but depends on how noticeable it was, maybe? I'd probably have wanted a credit, but dunno.

Alan 11-30-2019 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 554174)
If I were in your place, I'm not sure what I would have done about the paint drip. The quality control issues with the early 3 deliveries would have given me pause about waiting, but I don't think I would have wanted to try to fix it...

I’m with you on this one, I’ve had cars that the bumpers did not match perfectly with the rest of the car ie MR2 turbo, RX8 ... I preferred to keep it factory then have them touch it ...

I remember when I bought my RX8 and looking at the dealers lot and thinking .... ok I love the red ones but the bumpers are all so far off on color from the rest of the car I’ll just go with with the black one because it wasn’t as noticeable.

ZBB 12-01-2019 02:08 PM

If the drip wasn’t visible when the lid was closed, I would have left it. It was visible in the gap between the hood and bumper...

clyde 02-09-2020 01:03 AM

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-remotely-...mer-1841472617

Customer friendly company doing customer friendly things in the name of building better unicorn poop.

Alan 02-09-2020 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 556055)

Customer friendly company doing customer friendly things in the name of building better unicorn poop.

Jeez that is crazy, who would ever think that options would be removed from the car being it was used :dunno:

This seems really shady to me and it sounds like there isn’t much the buyer can do about it.

FC 02-09-2020 09:51 AM

That’s ridiculous.

clyde 02-09-2020 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 556057)
Jeez that is crazy, who would ever think that options would be removed from the car being it was used :dunno:

Only from the minds of Elon Muskolta.

Quote:

This seems really shady to me and it sounds like there isn’t much the buyer can do about it.
https://static.boredpanda.com/blog/w...4__700-png.jpg

ZBB 02-09-2020 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 556055)

This one is ridiculous since the option was on the Munroney sticker. Sounds like his best option is to contact Tesla service and ask why features were removed from the car when it was sold originally with those features.

I know there are a few people with the know-how to turn features on through a hack -- and I could see in those cases that Tesla should disable features not paid for.

But this is ridiculous...

ff 02-09-2020 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 556059)

And...?

dan 02-09-2020 04:22 PM

and it’s more evidence that Elon Musk is a POS human being

ff 02-09-2020 05:24 PM

I don't have any doubt that he's a POS, but I'd call that weak evidence. Well-liked people with mysteriously deep pockets throw their money at frivolous purchases all the time, while kids go to bed hungry every night. That isn't evidence that they're pieces of shit.

dan 02-09-2020 07:15 PM

Are you saying the Obamas’ pockets are “mysteriously” deep? Or do you mean other people

equ 02-09-2020 11:18 PM

Let's leave Obamas, Elon's $90M frivolity and all other associated jacks out.

The real update is Tesla decontenting their car after selling it to a 3rd party dealer. If true (and with Torchinsky reporting, I'd have to assume it is), it really hits a nerve. Wouldn't this hurt their resale? Which ultimately means you're shooting yourself in the foot. Or is it intentional and a business model, they want to monopolize the secondary market cutting out independents. What if individual A sold to individual B? Perhaps they really view cars as mostly software.

clyde 02-09-2020 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 556068)
Let's leave Obamas, Elon's $90M frivolity and all other associated jacks out.

I have no idea where the Obama reference came from and agree it has no spot here, but you can't separate Elon Musk from Tesla. Tesla's corporate actions and fumblings move at the whim and direction of and as follow up to Musk's erratic behaviors, random Twitter postings, and other public statements. That is a huge part of the problem with Tesla (if not also one of its strengths).

Quote:

The real update is Tesla decontenting their car after selling it to a 3rd party dealer. If true (and with Torchinsky reporting, I'd have to assume it is), it really hits a nerve. Wouldn't this hurt their resale? Which ultimately means you're shooting yourself in the foot. Or is it intentional and a business model, they want to monopolize the secondary market cutting out independents. What if individual A sold to individual B? Perhaps they really view cars as mostly software.
In the words of Elon "Henry Hill" Musk, "Fuck you, pay me."

ff 02-10-2020 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 556069)
I have no idea where the Obama reference came from

I was responding directly to Dan, but in regards to the meme you posted. I randomly chose another person, who's well-liked, that's also throwing huge piles of cash at frivolous things while there are 43 million people living in poverty. I thought it was pretty obvious?

Anyhow, back to the original thread. Not that I'm in the market to buy one, but the thing about decontenting Tesla cars is annoying enough that it'd turn me away from buying one. Just like anything else, if you don't like it then vote with your pocketbook.

FC 02-10-2020 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 556069)
In the words of Elon "Henry Hill" Musk, "Fuck you, pay me."

Love that movie.

kognito 02-10-2020 08:29 AM

A little unrelated to these delete issues, but not as unrelated as Obama . . .WTF is Tesla's gameplan for old cars? Down here there are ICE cars running around on the highway that could never pass MV inspections in northern states.

Any yahoo shadetree mechanic can get a ICE car/truck back on the road that should be in a junk yard. . . . what is going to be the value of a 10-15+ year old Tesla? Who the fuck will/can fix them?

There are Tesla's on the road here in SC, but there is no where to service them in SC

Nick M3 02-10-2020 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kognito (Post 556072)
A little unrelated to these delete issues, but not as unrelated as Obama . . .WTF is Tesla's gameplan for old cars? Down here there are ICE cars running around on the highway that could never pass MV inspections in northern states.

Any yahoo shadetree mechanic can get a ICE car/truck back on the road that should be in a junk yard. . . . what is going to be the value of a 10-15+ year old Tesla? Who the fuck will/can fix them?

There are Tesla's on the road here in SC, but there is no where to service them in SC

Based on the Roadster, the answer is that they will be deprecated and unserviceable.

(I suspect that they will have to figure out an alternative option.)

clyde 02-10-2020 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kognito (Post 556072)

This is part of what "right to repair" is about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 556079)
Based on the Roadster, the answer is that they will be deprecated and unserviceable.

(I suspect that they will have to figure out an alternative option.)

Who is "they"? It's kind of hard to believe Tesla will cooperative, but all it would take is an insulting tweet directed at Elon when he's at just that right point of being stoned to change things, so who knows?

All those old cars represent the bulk of the cars on the road today. Many of them were once expensive fancy new fangled ICE things. If that trickle down process supported by independent repairs and non-OE parts doesn't replicate to the electric world, it's going to take an insanely longer time for electrics to replace ICE cars and there could be a distinctly Cuban vibe. I'm sure someone will figure it out...there's way too much money in it to leave it alone, but I just don't see Tesla being cooperative and that's everyone's loss.

FC 02-10-2020 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 556083)
...all it would take is an insulting tweet directed at Elon when he's at just that right point of being stoned to change things, so who knows?

:spit:

robg 02-10-2020 04:50 PM

I get the impression that Tesla/musk are very mixed when it comes to supporting older cars. On one hand they’d like cars older than a year to just vanish into the ether. On the other hand they talk about million mile cars, sustainability and right to repair.

Regardless what they do people always find a way. Witness all the grassroots efforts dedicated to figuring out how to repair older model s. The rich rebuilds channel on YouTube is a great example of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZBB 02-15-2020 06:34 AM

Features restored for this car... https://apple.news/AMLuGg5a-TOSlJPbUyns1dg