carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The Audi Q7 Is Everything Wrong With America (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=149731)

lemming 05-31-2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML (Post 530887)
all top selling Audi's:eeps:

No!!!!! Really?

zach 05-31-2018 01:03 PM

I would absolutely consider an RS Q7 that leverages the TTV8 from the other large RS cars.

John V 05-31-2018 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 530874)
Yeah, which just begs the question of why the hell you'd buy a GL/Q7 instead of a Suburban?

Well, they have vastly nicer interiors, I have to imagine. The newest Suburbans are very nice compared to what they were ten years ago, but you're always aware you're driving something pretty low-rent, despite the >$50k MSRP. I have to imagine a Q7 has a pretty baller interior.

As to Josh's question about why not rent... Renting is a hassle. It's the part of our yearly trip planning that I dread the most. Renting a full-size SUV is also insanely expensive.

Like Josh I really don't get the appeal of big SUVs. A pickup truck is better at hauling stinky / messy stuff (er, minus children, which are both stinky and messy), and a minivan is better at hauling people with their stuff. But people like SUVs. I like small sports cars for regular driving and I like my pickup for towing. :dunno:

zach 05-31-2018 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 530891)
Well, they have vastly nicer interiors, I have to imagine. The newest Suburbans are very nice compared to what they were ten years ago, but you're always aware you're driving something pretty low-rent, despite the >$50k MSRP. I have to imagine a Q7 has a pretty baller interior.

As to Josh's question about why not rent... Renting is a hassle. It's the part of our yearly trip planning that I dread the most. Renting a full-size SUV is also insanely expensive.

Like Josh I really don't get the appeal of big SUVs. A pickup truck is better at hauling stinky / messy stuff (er, minus children, which are both stinky and messy), and a minivan is better at hauling people with their stuff. But people like SUVs. I like small sports cars for regular driving and I like my pickup for towing. :dunno:

If we're going fancy, I actually think the Escalade interior is pretty nice (leather dash, etc.), plus they handle well with the magnetic suspension. One reason for choosing a GL or Q7 (Q7 is actually quite a bit smaller than the MB - more like the Volvo), is parking in the city. I could fit the Audi into our parking spots and parallel park on the street almost as easily as I can with the X5. A tahoe-sized GM is problematic for that. I understand my use case is fairly unique.

Edit: one point in favor of the GL is that you can get it with real engines, not this 300+hp nonsense from Audi.

Alan 05-31-2018 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 530874)
Yeah, which just begs the question of why the hell you'd buy a GL/Q7 instead of a Suburban?

The Suburban is huge, it is definitely the next size up compared to the GL (almost 2 feet bigger). I like the Suburban and have taken a few road trips with them and they are really comfortable driving vehicles but it is really IMO in a different category than the other two vehicles.

I know you don't like the GL's but I've got to tell you, having 3 of them in the past they are really great vehicles for the family and the snob factor doesn't hurt :eeps:

Quote:

Originally Posted by nate (Post 530884)
I have not driven a Q7 but I've driven Q3s and Q5s. Garbage.

Have you driven the redesigned 2018 Q5 ? It is really great, much better then the previous generation ... great power, really nice handling, beautiful interior, etc. I've had a few of them as loaners and always walk away impressed.

I've also driven my brother 2018 SQ5 ... now that thing is fun ... for an SUV:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by zach (Post 530894)

Edit: one point in favor of the GL is that you can get it with real engines, not this 300+hp nonsense from Audi.

Mercedes did make one mistake and they got rid of the 8 Cylinder in the GLS450. Even though they say the 6 Cylinder is just as good if not better I always liked the feel and sound of the 8.

Nick M3 05-31-2018 04:05 PM

I don't disagree that the Suburban is physically (much) larger. I'm just saying that it *drives* a lot smaller than a GL.

lemming 05-31-2018 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 530911)
I don't disagree that the Suburban is physically (much) larger. I'm just saying that it *drives* a lot smaller than a GL.

Agree with AF on killing off the V8.

But I still love the Escalade.

GM does the GMT900s well.