carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   2015 Hyundai Ioniq 5 N First drive (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=160715)

Jeff_DML 04-16-2024 06:40 PM

2015 Hyundai Ioniq 5 N First drive

Quote:

Most ingeniously, Hyundai engineers weren’t content with a same-old, single-speed EV transmission experience. Their paddle-shifted “N e-Shift” simulates the feel and engine revs of an eight-speed, dual-clutch gearbox. There’s even a tachometer on the 12.3-inch driver’s cluster, whose needle quivers at “idle” and zips toward 8,000 rpm, synced to the torque curve of a four-cylinder engine. (Pay no mind to the electric Oz behind the curtain, with dual motors that actually spin to 21,000 rpm). Drivers will feel surprisingly natural torque interruption, re-engagement and rev-matched downshifts. Moves are almost spookily matched to rising-and-falling engine sound, including selectable pops and burbles during shifts. When I bumped into the “redline” in manual mode, I paid the old-school price, as the Hyundai banged against a simulated rev limiter. Select too high a gear, and the powertrain lugs. Expect other performance automakers to adopt some version of this system, quickly.
sounds kind of interesting in a video game way

https://www.autoblog.com/2024/04/16/...n-first-drive/

robg 04-17-2024 10:48 AM

Yeah- all the reviews i've read/watched so far have been very positive about it. Sounds like they did a good job of simulating gear shifts along with the engine sounds and g-forces associated with an ICE car. I'd definitely be interested in trying one out. Plus the Ioniq 5 in general is one of the best looking cars on the road IMO. Porsche better be planning something similar for their EV Boxster...

Jason Cammissa made some good points on a recent podcast about how this car kind of removes any reason to be buying an automatic performance car given (if you're not buying an EV, buy a manual sports car)

Alan 04-17-2024 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 604015)
Plus the Ioniq 5 in general is one of the best looking cars on the road IMO.)

Huh :dunno:

Jeff_DML 04-17-2024 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 604031)
Huh :dunno:

I like it too:dunno: Reminds me a bit of a Lancia Delta Integrale

Alan 04-17-2024 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML (Post 604032)
I like it too:dunno: Reminds me a bit of a Lancia Delta Integrale

I think it looks cool too I was just surprised Rob thinks it’s one of the best looking cars on the road :eeps:

robg 04-17-2024 07:50 PM

2015 Hyundai Ioniq 5 N First drive

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 604033)
I think it looks cool too I was just surprised Rob thinks it’s one of the best looking cars on the road :eeps:

Meant to say one of the best new cars - but I don’t really like the looks of most new cars

And I love 70s/80s Guigiaro design

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan 04-18-2024 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 604034)
Meant to say one of the best new cars - but I don’t really like the looks of most new cars

And I love 70s/80s Guigiaro design

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:thumbup:

Nick M3 04-18-2024 11:40 AM

I do not understand the appeal of fake transmissions at all.

robg 04-18-2024 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 604037)
I do not understand the appeal of fake transmissions at all.

Based on the reviews (from journalists whose opinions I respect such as Jason Cammissa), it makes it more engaging and also more intuitive to drive (atleast on a track). Seems like the best of both worlds to me-- if you dont like it you can switch to normal EV mode.

Nick M3 04-18-2024 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 604039)
Based on the reviews (from journalists whose opinions I respect such as Jason Cammissa), it makes it more engaging and also more intuitive to drive (atleast on a track). Seems like the best of both worlds to me-- if you dont like it you can switch to normal EV mode.

To be honest, I don't even enjoy shifting DCT transmissions manually. Auto is auto.

I also really don't see how it's more intuitive to drive on track than "the power is always available when you put your foot down?"

I guess I'm glad someone is enjoying it, but it just doesn't make any sense to me.