carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Tesla Model ≡ Thread (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=121553)

ZBB 04-08-2019 09:10 PM

I haven’t had any problems with the phone-as-fob, so haven’t looked at getting a fob.

I also got the power increase update, and also can’t feel the difference. Maybe I need to floor it on the on ramp tomorrow morning?

But then again, I put the car in Chill Mode a couple weeks ago and kind of enjoyed it :eeps: (it didn’t really feel slower, just smoother).

rumatt 04-09-2019 08:25 AM

I was 100% sure I could feel the difference.

The I realized I hadn't gotten the performance bump yet. One week later I got it for real and now I'm 100% sure I can feel it again. :lol:

John V 04-09-2019 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBB (Post 547593)
So… The racist CA vanity plate thread got me thinking about OH special/vanity plates.

Apparently, both of these vanity/special plates are available in OH:

:lol::lol::lol:

Edit: Both are available on the Ohio "Superman" Plate. Too bad they don't have an Iron Man plate :lol::lol::lol:

Now THOSE are offensive plates.

rumatt 04-09-2019 09:44 AM

BTW ZBB, if you haven't tried it yet, nav on autopilot now changes lanes for you without user input. It's pretty crazy.

ZBB 04-09-2019 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 547614)
BTW ZBB, if you haven't tried it yet, nav on autopilot now changes lanes for you without user input. It's pretty crazy.

Yeah — I got that update the other day and turned on the auto-lane change yesterday. In general, it works great. But it is crazy since it is very close to self driving. I drove to the airport this morning and the car basically did everything except the ~2 miles to the freeway and ~1 mile into the airport... It did a decent job overall (and all changes were safe). There was one change where it put me in the left most lane to pass a truck, but then moved me back behind the truck only to move left again 30 seconds later.

The one thing I didn’t like about it is a scenario I have when I leave work:
- There is a freeway on-ramp that I use that has one lane that joins 2 other lanes for 3 total lanes (so no merge); about 1/4 mile after that the 2 right lanes are an exit to a different freeway — with a relatively sharp 90 degree curve to the right (and the middle of the 3 lanes is an optional exit — you can also continue on that freeway). And its a high traffic area (rarely stop and go, but typically a heavy moving flow).
- When the on-ramp joins the first freeway, Autopilot wants to move the car over to the left lane — even thought that’s not necessary until after the ramp to the 2nd freeway.
- So using auto lane change, it wants to move the car into the middle lane. I used to just ignore the “ask” before, and now have to take action to cancel (or just wait to turn on Autopilot.

robg 04-09-2019 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBB (Post 547627)
Yeah — I got that update the other day and turned on the auto-lane change yesterday. In general, it works great. But it is crazy since it is very close to self driving. I drove to the airport this morning and the car basically did everything except the ~2 miles to the freeway and ~1 mile into the airport... It did a decent job overall (and all changes were safe). There was one change where it put me in the left most lane to pass a truck, but then moved me back behind the truck only to move left again 30 seconds later.

The one thing I didn’t like about it is a scenario I have when I leave work:
- There is a freeway on-ramp that I use that has one lane that joins 2 other lanes for 3 total lanes (so no merge); about 1/4 mile after that the 2 right lanes are an exit to a different freeway — with a relatively sharp 90 degree curve to the right (and the middle of the 3 lanes is an optional exit — you can also continue on that freeway). And its a high traffic area (rarely stop and go, but typically a heavy moving flow).
- When the on-ramp joins the first freeway, Autopilot wants to move the car over to the left lane — even thought that’s not necessary until after the ramp to the 2nd freeway.
- So using auto lane change, it wants to move the car into the middle lane. I used to just ignore the “ask” before, and now have to take action to cancel (or just wait to turn on Autopilot.

Is there a setting to make it to act as it did before (prompting for confirmations?)

ZBB 04-09-2019 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 547628)
Is there a setting to make it to act as it did before (prompting for confirmations?)

Yes - and that is the default.

When turned on, you also have the option for the car to alert you by making a sound, vibrating the wheel, or both. I tried both for a bit and turned off vibrate — so only have a sound (which is a pleasant single bong)

Plaz 04-09-2019 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBB (Post 547629)
a pleasant single bong

https://stonerdays.com/wp-content/up...d-pics-121.jpg

What? Oh. Never mind. Carry on.

:lol:

ZBB 04-09-2019 06:42 PM

Ooh boy, at least I didn’t call it a dong sound!

rumatt 04-09-2019 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBB (Post 547631)
Ooh boy, at least I didn’t call it a dong sound!

If you had, he could have posted nearly the same picture. :lol:

The self driving is shockingly good in ideal conditions, and sometimes terrible in less than ideal conditions.

But overall, I'm really impressed. Except with off ramps. On those the car drives like a scared, drunk 95 year old.