carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   4-way stop question (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=149864)

FC 06-02-2018 11:08 AM

4-way stop question

Scenario:

You arrive at an intersection at the same time as a second car which is to your right. Quite clearly you cede the right of way to that car. But as that car starts to make a left turn (going to where you came from) two more cars (one in front of you and the other to your left) have now arrived at the stop sign and are stopped by the time the car turning has cleared your path.

Who goes next?

1) You, because you where cleared fully stopped several seconds before any other car arrived at the intersection.
2) The car in front of you because it was to the right of the car making the turn and fully stopped by the time the car cleared the intersection. Of course at that point, it goes without saying that the car on the left will go next and then finally you.

Josh (PA) 06-02-2018 12:38 PM

You. It goes first person at the stop line, not in queue behind other cars. If two cars arrive identically yield to your right. Cars behind the first car at the line wait their turn

lip277 06-02-2018 03:21 PM

correct - you go next as you were waiting already at the line when the other cars arrived.

Granted - that is the way it is 'supposed' to happen. lol

FC 06-02-2018 04:03 PM

I agree with both of you.

So why the F do I keep getting honked at by a-holes across from me?!

People suck. They are clearly going by the "I'm to the right, so I go next" logic.

Alan 06-03-2018 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 531025)
I agree with both of you.

People suck. They are clearly going by the "I'm to the right, so I go next" logic.

The reason this is happening is because most people can’t drive ... no joking they really don’t know the rules of the road, they don’t understand cars, etc.

Do you know how many times i’m in my car and watching other people and I’m like ‘what the heck is that person doing’ ... I start cracking up :lol:

Btw I have to admit as I’m getting older I notice sometimes I fall in that catagory too :eeps:

kognito 06-03-2018 09:20 AM

It seems to be "survival of the fittest" here in South Carolina, and I am sick and tired of it. If you are driving a crappy car (and I am constantly amazed at the shit that is road legal here) you go when you want.

No one knows what to do when traffic lights are not operating, and stop signs are mere suggestions

kognito 06-03-2018 09:20 AM

Oh, and go ahead and honk at the assholes . . . .if you dare . . . they are usually armed

rumatt 06-03-2018 10:26 AM

EDIT: I misread your entire question before writing the reply below. You have the right away because you should based on the current positional situation.

I disagree. Once you're both stopped you use the laws of right of way based on position.

Any other logic requires everyone at the intersection to have in their head and agree on a time-based series of events of how the current situation came to be. Which is clearly impossible to happen.

Plus, if you go based on "I was here first" and he crashes into you, you'll be in the wrong.

clyde 06-03-2018 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 531025)

You still live in Assachusetts, right?

FC 06-03-2018 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 531040)
You still live in Assachusetts, right?

Yes.:sad:

It's really not that hard. As I come to a 4-way stop with many cars lined up in every direction, I just let one car from all other directions go and then I go.