carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   MX5 Miata Waffle Thread (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=159912)

lemming 09-04-2021 01:32 PM

MX5 Miata Waffle Thread

Does anyone here own an ND MX5 Miata?

Just wanted to get some feedback here.

I have owned a spec NA Miata and an NC — just curious about the ND2.

I think I want one.

ZBB 09-04-2021 08:35 PM

I’ve only done short test drives. Also thinking of getting one - mostly to help teach our daughter how to drive stick.

wdc330i 09-04-2021 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBB (Post 576412)
I’ve only done short test drives. Also thinking of getting one - mostly to help teach our daughter how to drive stick.

Funny. Been thinking the same thing…But, it would make sense to get a Mazda3 or something with a stick. Just less fun factor (and probably lower insurance premiums.)

ZBB 09-05-2021 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 576414)
Funny. Been thinking the same thing…But, it would make sense to get a Mazda3 or something with a stick. Just less fun factor (and probably lower insurance premiums.)

We're actually having a debate about what to do for teaching her how to drive. She can get her permit at the end of January :eek:

On one hand, it would be great for her to learn stick. The extra time it takes to learn how to time a clutch release along with getting experience with shifting and the difference between different gears and some engine breaking is a great thing for car control.

On the other hand, the likelihood she will ever drive a manual transmission car is close to zero. She'll probably won't even drive an ICE!

I've been toying with selling my Model 3 (which continues to increase in value due to the chip shortage...). I could replace it with a used Miata and a used Bolt and not put more cash into our car fleet... With GM recalling all the Bolts ever made, it would get a new battery "soon" and likely be good for years (assuming the battery design isn't the real issue...).

Jeff_DML 09-05-2021 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBB (Post 576417)
We're actually having a debate about what to do for teaching her how to drive. She can get her permit at the end of January :eek:

On one hand, it would be great for her to learn stick. The extra time it takes to learn how to time a clutch release along with getting experience with shifting and the difference between different gears and some engine breaking is a great thing for car control.

On the other hand, the likelihood she will ever drive a manual transmission car is close to zero. She'll probably won't even drive an ICE!

I've been toying with selling my Model 3 (which continues to increase in value due to the chip shortage...). I could replace it with a used Miata and a used Bolt and not put more cash into our car fleet... With GM recalling all the Bolts ever made, it would get a new battery "soon" and likely be good for years (assuming the battery design isn't the real issue...).

My oldest son is able to get his permit this December :eek: I told him if he could drive my turbo the first time without stalling he could drive it, too bad I sold it:D if he wants to drive the 6MT in my GTI he can but not going push him to do it.

wdc330i 09-05-2021 01:10 PM

Good point about not really needing the stick skill. That's probably just us old nostalgic folks reliving bygone days. It's probably enough already for him to toggle between an ICE and an EV, as he does now.

He won't be eligible for his full license until next August, due our laws here. He was late in getting his learners and he has to have it for 12 months and a day before eligible for a full license. There are a bunch of other requirements and restrictions, too--which, I think, is a good thing,

dan 09-05-2021 02:27 PM

Lol my kids (and I as well) have no interest in them learning/driving a stick.

lemming 09-05-2021 02:39 PM

The comments about a platform to teach how to drive a manual speaks to the appeal for me also —this car at this weight with typical Mazda perfectionism should be damn easy to drive even in heavy traffic.

equ 09-05-2021 07:10 PM

I'll just ask this sort of personal question as we are a small friendly group... How many cars do you want at the same time? Can you actually enjoy more than three? I feel like all of these additions exact a cost; a tax on audio systems/controls/handling, they all need to be kept up etc. There were periods where I owned three cars, I could not get down to two fast enough even with the space to keep them. Now, if it weren't for the great spec and condition of the 981S, I'd be down to one (but of course, I hardly drive or put any miles).

wdc330i 09-05-2021 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 576424)
I'll just ask this sort of personal question as we are a small friendly group... How many cars do you want at the same time? Can you actually enjoy more than three? I feel like all of these additions exact a cost; a tax on audio systems/controls/handling, they all need to be kept up etc. There were periods where I owned three cars, I could not get down to two fast enough even with the space to keep them. Now, if it weren't for the great spec and condition of the 981S, I'd be down to one (but of course, I hardly drive or put any miles).

Yes, Unless you are super wealthy, maintaining all those cars can become a burden (in time and money), just like maintaining multiple houses becomes. I do think—beyond two for one person—there’s a point of diminishing returns in enjoyment/utility.

There are times when I consider selling the 2, just to simplify life, cash in on its value, and open up garage space.

JST 09-05-2021 10:36 PM

Eh. I have two cars that are basically commuters, and one that is a fun weekend car. If I got another it would be a commuter for a third person. I’ve received some push back on the idea of owning 4 cars, but…really if I sold one it would have to be the Porsche, and that just seems ridiculous.

lemming 09-05-2021 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 576425)
Yes, Unless you are super wealthy, maintaining all those cars can become a burden (in time and money), just like maintaining multiple houses becomes. I do think—beyond two for one person—there’s a point of diminishing returns in enjoyment/utility.

There are times when I consider selling the 2, just to simplify life, cash in on its value, and open up garage space.

Yeah…….I cannot say it’s rational. And the limit for me personally is going to always be 3-4 because it’s my thing. It’s the one thing I’m passionate about. And yes, to your point, historically the cars are spread out across houses which solves the storage issue.

The ND is appealing because so much engineering has gone into it and it is reliable. I could not —for example -trust a preowned 3 series or 1 series to be used sparingly because in my experience, if they’re not driven regularly, they can be a disaster. But when we are talking about newer cars or Japanese cars, I have less anxiety about leaving them on a battery tender and firing right up and running smoothly after weeks of non-use.

clyde 09-06-2021 12:06 AM

Quote:

I'll just ask this sort of personal question as we are a small friendly group... How many cars do you want at the same time?

I think you're asking quite a few questions. This is just the central part. The answer for me is "All of them." Well, not all of them, but I don't know if I can count as high as all the ones I would like to own...given limitless space to put them.

Where to put them is a limiting factor for me and many other people, but perhaps not everyone? Use cases or needs dictate a portion of it. I own five right now...four of them have different primary drivers and one is decorative in nature (and, possibly, becoming part of nature). I would add a pick up to in a heartbeat if I could figure out a way to make it work, but I can't. If someone gave me a free Blackwing (either kind), I would figure out a way to make it work. I'd also like a fully electric car in fleet.

Quote:

Can you actually enjoy more than three?
This is a totally different question. I think a car person can enjoy more than three at a time, but I'm not sure how many more than that. Depends on how much opportunity they have to drive them, in what circumstances, etc. In most cases for most car people that are attracted to different cars, the best path is one long term keeper and a bunch of short term samples.

Quote:

I feel like all of these additions exact a cost; a tax on audio systems/controls/handling, they all need to be kept up etc.
I don't understand this. :dunno:

dan 09-06-2021 12:12 AM

1-2 per person is fine

equ 09-06-2021 05:43 AM

I guess it also had to do with the timing. Even if you want to keep 3 to 4, do you want to buy 3 of them around the same time or sequence/stagger a bit? I would not even have time to go through manuals, set up nav/audio etc. for all of them. It would be hard for me to think about (at least seriously) ND's when there is a new turbo S and a trusted 987 in the garage.

I don't know what would replace the 987. For me, if for some reason my 981 went poof, I could see myself getting a 911 coupe (likely 991). If I wanted to continue the drop top, the ND would be at the top of my shopping list, if the drive and feel made the cut, I don't see why I would bother with porsche. Not that they are a bother but when an oil change is half a G and then you have to drive 40 minutes to that special shop etc.. I certainly see the appeal of Japanese ease and cost of maintenance (not to mention new price of purchase).

I think if someone put a gun to my head and said 'buy a new sports car', again the ND would be my first go-to, though I would have to see/feel the engine and chassis and accept that in some ways it may improve on the porsche and in others it would not measure up.

JST 09-06-2021 08:15 AM

I haven’t spent any serious time driving Miatas since my mother sold hers 20 years ago, but yeah the ND would be top of my list too if I were buying a new sports car.

ZBB 09-06-2021 09:20 PM

As for number of cars…. We’ve only had one time where we had 3 cars for a few months. My wife was pregnant and decided the ‘02 Mini was too small for mommy duty, so she leased an X3. The Mini was paid off and we decided to private party it, but we didn’t get around to listing it for about 5 months. I had the E39 at the time.

The Mini mostly sat and it was more of a chore to drive. I drove it to work about once a week for a while, but it was noisy and not a good commuter for a 50 mile round trip….

But we will have a 3rd driver soon, so a 3rd car is likely in the next year or so…

FC 09-07-2021 10:30 AM

I don't mind 3 or even 4 cars as long as the mileage makes it such that you have basically one year oil change. That also means bigger services are spaced out pretty well. Frankly, my biggest annoyance is washing the and detailing them (even if it's once a year). But my kids will soon be able to do that or I can always just pay someone to do it.

back on topic, as I've mentioned many times, the ND has a lot of appeal as a weekend toy car when the alternatives are grossly overpriced used Boxsters. I could add that as a 4th car. I drove a coworkers mint 2016 ND and it felt amazing compared to my high mileage NC.

lemming 09-07-2021 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 576465)
I don't mind 3 or even 4 cars as long as the mileage makes it such that you have basically one year oil change. That also means bigger services are spaced out pretty well. Frankly, my biggest annoyance is washing the and detailing them (even if it's once a year). But my kids will soon be able to do that or I can always just pay someone to do it.

back on topic, as I've mentioned many times, the ND has a lot of appeal as a weekend toy car when the alternatives are grossly overpriced used Boxsters. I could add that as a 4th car. I drove a coworkers mint 2016 ND and it felt amazing compared to my high mileage NC.

What are the three biggest differences when you compare the ND to your NC?

Power? Gotta to be, right?

Suspension tuning is same-ish?

FC 09-07-2021 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming (Post 576467)
What are the three biggest differences when you compare the ND to your NC?

Power? Gotta to be, right?

Suspension tuning is same-ish?

Well, the biggest thing to me was the size, chassis rigidity, and just general quietness. I would say refinement, but would not be the right word because I feel like it implies softness and that wasn't the case at all. It could well be the fact that the car was much newer than my NC, but still, it just felt more upscale, cleaner, tighter, etc. Sounded good too. It was at least as fast, though I didn't push it. Steering felt better, suspension was good though being stock it did have more lean than my NC with aftermarket sways.

I guess for me the point was that, unlike many current instances with other models, the ND is equal or better than the NC in every way. In my case, the NC was not a mint, low-mileage sample. Not upgrading is simply a matter of $. All I have to decide is if I want a pristine/new ND or add a bunch more $$$ and consider Boxsters instead. I'm perfectly happy waiting until next year to decide. I also want to know what shakes out with the next gen Boxster first.

lemming 09-07-2021 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 576468)
Well, the biggest thing to me was the size, chassis rigidity, and just general quietness. I would say refinement, but would not be the right word because I feel like it implies softness and that wasn't the case at all. It could well be the fact that the car was much newer than my NC, but still, it just felt more upscale, cleaner, tighter, etc. Sounded good too. It was at least as fast, though I didn't push it. Steering felt better, suspension was good though being stock it did have more lean than my NC with aftermarket sways.

I guess for me the point was that, unlike many current instances with other models, the ND is equal or better than the NC in every way. In my case, the NC was not a mint, low-mileage sample. Not upgrading is simply a matter of $. All I have to decide is if I want a pristine/new ND or add a bunch more $$$ and consider Boxsters instead. I'm perfectly happy waiting until next year to decide. I also want to know what shakes out with the next gen Boxster first.

Ironically, the NC was the car that got me a speeding ticket. Because i was accelerating away from the tollbooths (which don’t exist anymore) at 128/Weston onto the Pike headed into Cambridge. And there was a State Trooper right on the shoulder.

I was trying to wring the neck out of that engine because I was so frustrated with it. And voila. Ticket.

Would have kept the NC if I felt like it had an engine to better match the rest of the car. By and large, even though the 3.4 litre flat six is not torquey whatsoever, it still felt like a revelation at the time.

What the NC or ND has that the 987 lacks is this sense that if something goes wrong, it will be inexpensive and mostly…not much will go wrong. I never get that sense in any Porsche of the 996/997 era. They always feel like you’re one scored cylinder wall away from something expensive.

FC 09-07-2021 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming (Post 576469)
What the NC or ND has that the 987 lacks is this sense that if something goes wrong, it will be inexpensive and mostly…not much will go wrong. I never get that sense in any Porsche of the 996/997 era. They always feel like you’re one scored cylinder wall away from something expensive.

There is definitely that, but that's a risk exposure one must be comfortable with. The obvious drawback to Miatas (though I can't speak specifically to the ND) is highway driving. The poor insulation, low gearing, and lack of power are pretty apparent. It's usually ok if stints are brief and rare, but not great for a commuter or even semi-regular hwy use. But around town, for quick errands or backroad spirited drives, Miata's are awesome.

wdc330i 09-07-2021 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 576471)
There is definitely that, but that's a risk exposure one must be comfortable with. The obvious drawback to Miatas (though I can't speak specifically to the ND) is highway driving. The poor insulation, low gearing, and lack of power are pretty apparent. It's usually ok if stints are brief and rare, but not great for a commuter or even semi-regular hwy use. But around town, for quick errands or backroad spirited drives, Miata's are awesome.

Having driven my formerly shared Boxster S on the highway, I much prefer my 2 in that scenario. It's actually possible to drive the 2 with the wind deflector in and not be pummeled by air. And the visibility with the top up is MUCH better in the 2. As with the Miata (I imagine), twisties and backcountry are fun in the 2, but nod goes to Boxster there.

FC 09-07-2021 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 576472)
Having driven my formerly shared Boxster S on the highway, I much prefer my 2 in that scenario. It's actually possible to drive the 2 with the wind deflector in and not be pummeled by air. And the visibility with the top up is MUCH better in the 2. As with the Miata (I imagine), twisties and backcountry are fun in the 2, but nod goes to Boxster there.

I was talking about the Miata with the top up!:D

wdc330i 09-07-2021 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 576474)
I was talking about the Miata with the top up!:D

:lol:

FC 09-07-2021 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 576477)
:lol:

Seriously, you could not hold a conversation without yelling in the highway. The car is doing 3500rpm and the wind is brutal. And if it's raining, forget it.

lemming 09-07-2021 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 576479)
Seriously, you could not hold a conversation without yelling in the highway. The car is doing 3500rpm and the wind is brutal. And if it's raining, forget it.

For my application, it would be a car forward deployed so when I fly in, it’s there and I don’t need to rent a car.

Which is why the reliability aspect is so key to me here.

I would never do extended highway driving in a convertible. It’s a lot of white noise that is grating quickly. Especially when you have these modern wide and low profile tires which send noise into your skull for hours.

I think the highway is also the place where any MX5 Miata doesn’t do well because there’s no top end on the car and that tiny little engine can be frustrating.

robg 09-13-2021 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming (Post 576469)

Lots to chew on in this thread. We currently just have 1 car since that's all we have garage space for and frankly all we really need (especially now w/ remote working becoming the norm). But sometimes I like to fantasize about what my "ideal fleet" would be. Inevitably there's a Porsche Boxster or 911 in there. But I'm not sure I can quite wrap my head around the relative risk of something expensive happening and/or just the generally large amount of money that i'd have to sink into pretty much anything decent. And realistically, it'd be for a car that i'd use at best maybe for a couple hours a week (probably less).

A Japanese sports car of some type probably makes more sense...but I just can't seem to get excited about any of them.

lemming 09-15-2021 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 576707)
Lots to chew on in this thread. We currently just have 1 car since that's all we have garage space for and frankly all we really need (especially now w/ remote working becoming the norm). But sometimes I like to fantasize about what my "ideal fleet" would be. Inevitably there's a Porsche Boxster or 911 in there. But I'm not sure I can quite wrap my head around the relative risk of something expensive happening and/or just the generally large amount of money that i'd have to sink into pretty much anything decent. And realistically, it'd be for a car that i'd use at best maybe for a couple hours a week (probably less).

A Japanese sports car of some type probably makes more sense...but I just can't seem to get excited about any of them.

I thought about this. And I came to the same conclusion. It’s a great car (the ND MX5) but I can’t get myself to buy one.

I’m going to get a GT3.

JST 09-15-2021 06:08 PM

Lol well that’ll do it, yes.

FC 09-15-2021 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 576890)
Lol well that’ll do it, yes.

If it's an option, yeah.

Jeff_DML 09-15-2021 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming (Post 576889)
I thought about this. And I came to the same conclusion. It’s a great car (the ND MX5) but I can’t get myself to buy one.

I’m going to get a GT3.

In addition to the new turbo? :?

lemming 09-15-2021 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML (Post 576897)
In addition to the new turbo? :?

YOLO

I’m been trying really hard to find the car which I won’t dump in a year —and even if I did, how do I do it and stay cost neutral?

Few cars answer that bell.

JST 09-15-2021 10:34 PM

Need more details on GT3, please.

lemming 09-15-2021 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 576907)

I’m in active pursuit.

But I don’t need to pay market premium for two cars. So I’m being a fair bit more patient here.

Incidentally, what evolved my thinking here is that 1 TTS and 1 GT3 = 1 new F8 Tributo or 1 new McLaren 720S.

When I do that math that way, life is simpler.

lemming 09-18-2021 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 576907)

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...-80029f7b0ca0/

3LOU5 09-18-2021 02:34 PM

Quote:

Agreed.

Honestly, a max of 3 should suffice. I just LOVE my choice of cars in my corral: each has strengths that others lack, and unless I want a high-performance car like many of you seem to have (Porsche, Camaro, 'Vette, etc.), I really don't need or want another to maintain/operate.

(I already have enough of a hard time maintaining my other vehicles, LOL).

*IF* I was in the market for another, a small, 2-door 'vert like a Miata would be nice.....which is probably why I'm not too serious about finding a used one the past couple of years.

JST 09-18-2021 04:38 PM

That’s a nice GT3, but two white cars? You need to put some martini stripes or something on the GT3 just to keep them apart

lemming 09-18-2021 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 577039)
That’s a nice GT3, but two white cars? You need to put some martini stripes or something on the GT3 just to keep them apart

I like Porsche cars in white.

Racing colors.

clyde 09-18-2021 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming (Post 577042)
I like Porsche cars in white.

Racing colors.

Mid six figures in white cars, though? I mean, you like what you like, but that's...so much not fun.