carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Question for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ users (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=156277)

3LOU5 11-10-2018 10:18 AM

Question for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ users

I installed a new set of these, and I noticed that the gas gauge is quite a bit more active; i.e. it speeds towards the "E" at a more rapid pace.

My suspicion was confirmed when I toggled through the OBC and found that I was getting only 25 mpg, a good 2 mpg less when I had my Yokohamas.

Is this normal ?? I remember I had the older version of these tires, but didn't notice such a mileage drop.

BTW, mine are the 5-rib, 94Y, max pressure 51, which I *believe* are heavy tires. Perhaps that is the reason for the drop in mileage....

wdc330i 11-10-2018 11:14 AM

I have those tires and have had them on several cars. They have all sucked down gas, so not sure whether it's the tires or 6 cylinders and city driving.

3LOU5 11-10-2018 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 541296)
I have those tires and have had them on several cars. They have all sucked down gas, so not sure whether it's the tires or 6 cylinders and city driving.

Good to know.

I was just worried something went wrong with my car.

I also noticed that my car doesn’t accelerate quite as quick anymore as well.

:( :(

Nick M3 11-10-2018 11:07 PM

TireRack says that the A/S3+ has relatively good rolling resistance vs. comparable tires. A couple MPG and slower acceleration is either your ass dyno, a change in diameter (if they are meaningfully bigger, you’ll record less distance traveled, and have the car geared up higher), or something coincidentally went wrong on the car.

equ 11-11-2018 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 541309)
A couple MPG and slower acceleration is either your ass dyno, a change in diameter (if they are meaningfully bigger, you’ll record less distance traveled, and have the car geared up higher), or something coincidentally went wrong on the car.

This. Either some slight thing, perhaps you had really old tires which made more noise & vibration adding to perception of speed. More likely, if you are observing a definite effect, then something is going wrong. Assuming you got the same size of course.

Josh (PA) 11-11-2018 07:15 AM

do they change from summer to winter gas formulas down your way? Might just be coincidental timing.
The difference between summer- and winter-blend gasoline involves the Reid Vapor Pressure (RVP) of the fuel. ... The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) says conventional summer-blend gasoline contains 1.7 percent more energy than winter-blend gas, which is one reason why gas mileage is slightly better in the summer.

rumatt 11-11-2018 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 541313)
do they change from summer to winter gas formulas down your way? Might just be coincidental timing.

That's what I was wondering too

clyde 11-11-2018 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3LOU5 (Post 541292)
My suspicion was confirmed when I toggled through the OBC and found that I was getting only 25 mpg, a good 2 mpg less when I had my Yokohamas

I'd trust hand done math before an OBC reading. Those things aren't exactly consistently consistent.

3LOU5 11-11-2018 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 541309)
TireRack says that the A/S3+ has relatively good rolling resistance vs. comparable tires. A couple MPG and slower acceleration is either your ass dyno, a change in diameter (if they are meaningfully bigger, you’ll record less distance traveled, and have the car geared up higher), or something coincidentally went wrong on the car.

The change in diameter is an interesting observation, because I ran those old Yokos until it only had 2/32" of tread left.

My new A/S 3+ came with 10/32" of tread, so you may have a point.

I brought the wheels to Discount Tire to have the tires mounted, so they didn't have a chance to touch my car and do anything wrong.

And if something DID go wrong mechanically, I really wonder what it could be because all I did was jack up the car at all four corners.

:dunno: :dunno:

3LOU5 11-11-2018 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 541311)
This. Either some slight thing, perhaps you had really old tires which made more noise & vibration adding to perception of speed. More likely, if you are observing a definite effect, then something is going wrong. Assuming you got the same size of course.

The vibration was caused by the old tires being out-of-balance, because after my new tires were mounted, the vibrations disappeared.

I usually glance at my tach needle when I shift, and it seems that it doesn't climb towards redline as quickly.

Again, I can't figure out what went wrong mechanically because I didn't even mess with the engine.

:dunno: :dunno: