carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Diagnose my brake / wheel noise (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=147225)

rumatt 03-28-2018 10:46 PM

Diagnose my brake / wheel noise

Today I developed a subtle scraping noise on the right front that varies with wheel speed. It's a constant low/mid-frequency rubbing/scraping - not a high pitched squeal.

If I press the brakes ever so slightly, the noise stops and it stays silent for 5 to 10 seconds after I've released the brake. Then it comes back. Every time. Making up random theories - it's as if one of the pads is falling inward and rubbing on the rotor while cruising. When I press the brake they get pushed apart and stay there, until it flops inward again.

Any ideas what to check? I poked at everything through the wheel and nothing flopped around (I'm in NYC tonight). I did change the brakes and rotors this past weekend so it's possible I fucked something up. :speechle: The braking feels perfectly fine though. Plenty of power and I bed them in well.

bren 03-29-2018 08:55 AM

How certain are you that you have the pads in correctly? : zach

rumatt 03-29-2018 09:03 AM

I'd say a solid 80% :lol:

I definitely torqued everything down properly. But I'm driving back and forth to the city for one more day so we'll hope everything stays together until then

zach 03-29-2018 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 526284)
How certain are you that you have the pads in correctly? : zach

The pads were fine! The caliper, however...

rumatt 03-29-2018 09:20 AM

You ended up completely losing one caliper pin, didn't you? :lol:

zach 03-29-2018 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 526287)
You ended up completely losing one caliper pin, didn't you? :lol:

Yeah, one of the bolts fell completely out on the cross-bronx expressway - I remember hearing the noise and thinking, "what was that?". The other one stayed in, but the caliper was banging against the inside of the wheel for the rest of the trip back to Boston. Made for an interesting drive.

Plaz 03-29-2018 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zach (Post 526294)
Yeah, one of the bolts fell completely out on the cross-bronx expressway - I remember hearing the noise and thinking, "what was that?". The other one stayed in, but the caliper was banging against the inside of the wheel for the rest of the trip back to Boston. Made for an interesting drive.

Well in fairness you can usually count on the cross-Bronx to shake some things loose. Bolts, dental fillings, bowels, et al

JST 03-29-2018 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plaz (Post 526295)
Well in fairness you can usually count on the cross-Bronx to shake some things loose. Bolts, dental fillings, bowels, et al

:eek: Remind me not to ride in your car.

equ 03-29-2018 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 526299)
:eek: Remind me not to ride in your car.

It's not his car. Don't take the cross bronx and you shall be fine. Just fine.

kognito 03-29-2018 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plaz (Post 526295)

I was thinking the same thing. And I'm sure it is no better since I moved out of the area 11 years ago, probably horrifically worse.