carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   M3 or RS3? (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=138118)

FC 08-03-2017 11:31 AM

M3 or RS3?

I've been quick to dismiss the RS3 for it's lack of manual, transverse engine layout, and general non-BMW-ness, but it is $10K cheaper, and it's AWD. And given its projected year-round around town use, that's a huge plus. In real life, it may well be much faster than an M3. Reviews claim it is more fun and faster than an M2.

It also sounds good and it's smaller. It's newer. And I can still do ED next year. In fact, I could wait until the following year - something I cannot do with the BMW because it ends production next year.

The big issue is the lack of manual.

Thoughts?

bren 08-03-2017 11:36 AM

If it's the same DSG whatevertheycallit (and programming) that is in the GTI, no thanks (and I'm the guy who likes SMG.)

That's a definite needs a test drive kind of thing to figure out tho....

FC 08-03-2017 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 509422)
If it's the same DSG whatevertheycallit (and programming) that is in the GTI, no thanks (and I'm the guy who likes SMG.)

That's a definite needs a test drive kind of thing to figure out tho....

Yeah, no doubt.

Theo 08-03-2017 11:54 AM

I really like everything about that car. Size, engine, looks. But yeah the lack of a manual kills it. What's the MSRP with the options you want?

FC 08-03-2017 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo (Post 509424)
I really like everything about that car. Size, engine, looks. But yeah the lack of a manual kills it. What's the MSRP with the options you want?

58-61k if I choose the fancy-pants dash. MSRP.

An M3 would be 71-76K MSRP depending if I go stripper or full fancy-pants.

But the Audi would see ~5% off whereas the M3 would be more like 9%.

Nick M3 08-03-2017 12:00 PM

The problem with the Audi DSG is that it's so good that you just leave it in D 99% of the time. The good thing is that if you don't mind giving up the *pleasure* of driving manual, it's pretty fucking great.

JST 08-03-2017 12:17 PM

I mean, for me the auto/DSG makes it a non-starter. And as much as I like my Golf, I have a hard time believing that you can make that platform as rewarding as a true RWD car.

But, yeah, I'd say you have to drive one to see how much the DSG bums you out.

FC 08-03-2017 12:40 PM

Well, it's likely to lose out because of the lack of MT.

I drove a DSG GTI and I liked it as an automatic. But I just like to shift my own damn gears and I've said before, I feel it's matter of time before I'll even have the option.

I need to drive them (ideally back-to-back but that will be hard).

rumatt 08-03-2017 01:34 PM

I'm pretty damn intrigued by the RS3 as well.

Jeff_DML 08-03-2017 01:53 PM

why is the M2 not a option, number of doors?

If you test drive one see if it auto upshifts near redline. That bugs me since I want full control if driving an auto:?

Recent review of the RS3 I read made the handling sound pretty fun. Quattro or audi sport or whatever they are called seems to have tuned the haldex pretty good.