carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Another white car ... (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=158863)

Alan 12-04-2019 06:18 PM

Another white car ...

1 Attachment(s)
Just ordered a 2020 Audi Q5 in white ... I was thinking of this board when my daughter said she wants this SUV in white ...

It will be interesting, while I have had a lot of new Audi's I never ordered one from the factory. They are so far behind bmw ... there is no tracking it, no owner involvement ... at least I have a great salesperson who I have known for many years, she is really on the ball and will give me updates.

While BMW gets you the car usually within 2 months it seems Audi is more like 3 to 4 months ...

This picture is obviously not the car but it does look like this ... same color and wheels ...

rumatt 12-04-2019 06:23 PM

Is it me or does that thing look stubby and chubby? Is the picture compressed horizontally?

Alan 12-04-2019 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 554368)
Is it me or does that thing look stubby and chubby? Is the picture compressed horizontally?

Yeah probably ... just grabbed a quick pic ...

Edit. I should say it is possible ... I don’t know the design of the car I just know it drives beautifully, has a beautiful interior, is safe and is a nice car for my daughter.

Josh (PA) 12-04-2019 09:25 PM

It looks like you grabbed a pic of a q3. A guy that works for me has a q5 3.0t. It drives really nicely. Enjoy it!

Alan 12-05-2019 10:11 AM

Just checked some others on the internet and am pretty sure that is a Q5 though in person it doesn’t appear quite so stubby if I recall correctly.

Jeff_DML 12-05-2019 10:41 AM

congrats

why did you custom order? thought SUVs are pretty generic and can get off the lot.

robg 12-05-2019 01:56 PM

Nice. She will love it. Audis do drive really nicely. I think the q5 is the best of the 4 cylinder crossovers. What's the spec? Also curious why you had to custom order given that dealers tend to have quite a selection of Q5s.

Alan 12-05-2019 03:48 PM

I thought it was strange too but the only 2020 white ext with black int they found that was close to the exact spec had dark wood trim instead of high glass gray trim and she thinks dark wood is for old men like me.

The 2020's just came out plus Rob of all people will appreciate this ... the current lease price for a $52k msrp is in the $700 range :eek:.

We are better off ordering it so when it comes in the lease should come in at hopefully a normal number, also it works out well anyway because her A4 lease is up in February which I can extend if needed.

BTW this is a strange one too ... I ordered the car with absolutely no deal in place, no lease price or purchase price. I do trust this dealer (Clyde is going to comment on this one:D) and I know they will do the right thing.

The deposit is refundable if I don't like the deal.

wdc330i 12-05-2019 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 554425)
I thought it was strange too but the only 2020 white ext with black int they found that was close to the exact spec had dark wood trim instead of high glass gray trim and she thinks dark wood is for old men like me.

The 2020's just came out plus Rob of all people will appreciate this ... the current lease price for a $52k msrp is in the $700 range :eek:.

We are better off ordering it so when it comes in the lease should come in at hopefully a normal number, also it works out well anyway because her A4 lease is up in February which I can extend if needed.

BTW this is a strange one too ... I ordered the car with absolutely no deal in place, no lease price or purchase price. I do trust this dealer (Clyde is going to comment on this one:D) and I know they will do the right thing.

Congrats! BTW, every Audi Q-whatever is white down here.

robg 12-05-2019 06:08 PM

Quote:

Wow- that's crazy! I think that might even be S5 territory. Agree that you have some leverage in that you can always walk if they try and screw you when the car comes in. Doubtful, given by then there will be even more inventory of 2020 Q5s (and white on black is a favorite combo for dealer orders). Having done several BMW custom orders in the past, I got used to how common/easy it is with them. Sounds like it's still not a common practice with Audi (back in 97 I almost custom ordered an A4 but it was going to be some crazy long wait). Oh, and good to know that gray wood is considered less "old manish"-- that's how my RR is specced. :)

wdc330i 12-05-2019 08:11 PM

I also remember some crazy long wait, when I was looking at S5 convertibles...

clyde 12-05-2019 11:30 PM

Quote:

:lol:

This is a dealer you've bought a lot of cars from over a long period of time, right? I'm sure you'll be fine. And would probably be the beneficiary of anything that didn't go right.

Alan 03-21-2020 04:22 PM

Ok strange life we are all living ... it is weird to talk about cars or even talk about spending money but here is the deal to what lead to an odd day.

All car dealers are shutting down their sales teams as of today (or possibly tomorrow)as NY is only allowed to keep businesses open that are ‘essential’ ... I got a phone call at 9am ... i’m half asleep but I pick up and it’s my sales person from Audi, she told me the Q5 arrived and we can pick it up today but it has to be by 1pm because they are doing staggered shifts and she has to leave by 1 and after today she is off for who knows how long as apparently car sales people are non essential... I told her I was sleeping, give me 15 minutes to wake up, discuss with my wife and daughter and i’ll call her back after a cup of coffee. Truthfully i’ve got a full driveway and really don’t need another car by 1pm being I cannot return the A4 as it needs to be inspected and after talking to the girls I called back and said we will pick it up when she is back working ... meanwhile the A4 has only 14k miles so what is the rush to replace it.
Now comes the other issue, we have a 2017 340 which is leased and comes up in May, I called my bmw salesperson and he is only in for today and then he has no choice but to not go to work after today so I need to order the car NOW ... ended up I got his personal email and he gave me the rates so I worked it out with him that I can order the car Monday which I will do, I just wanted to run it by my son first to confirm the car has the options he wants.

So weird ... with this virus my last thoughts are buying cars it is really the last thing from my mind yet here I am ...

Edit: OMG the funny thing I just remembered I still have no idea how much I am paying for the Q5 .. lol

wdc330i 03-21-2020 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 557453)
Ok strange life we are all living ... it is weird to talk about cars or even talk about spending money but here is the deal to what lead to an odd day.

All car dealers are shutting down their sales teams as of today (or possibly tomorrow)as NY is only allowed to keep businesses open that are ‘essential’ ... I got a phone call at 9am ... i’m half asleep but I pick up and it’s my sales person from Audi, she told me the Q5 arrived and we can pick it up today but it has to be by 1pm because they are doing staggered shifts and she has to leave by 1 and after today she is off for who knows how long as apparently car sales people are non essential... I told her I was sleeping, give me 15 minutes to wake up, discuss with my wife and daughter and i’ll call her back after a cup of coffee. Truthfully i’ve got a full driveway and really don’t need another car by 1pm being I cannot return the A4 as it needs to be inspected and after talking to the girls I called back and said we will pick it up when she is back working ... meanwhile the A4 has only 14k miles so what is the rush to replace it.
Now comes the other issue, we have a 2017 340 which is leased and comes up in May, I called my bmw salesperson and he is only in for today and then he has no choice but to not go to work after today so I need to order the car NOW ... ended up I got his personal email and he gave me the rates so I worked it out with him that I can order the car Monday which I will do, I just wanted to run it by my son first to confirm the car has the options he wants.

So weird ... with this virus my last thoughts are buying cars it is really the last thing from my mind yet here I am ...

Edit: OMG the funny thing I just remembered I still have no idea how much I am paying for the Q5 .. lol

Yikes!

robg 03-23-2020 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 557453)

Wow. Well, i'm sure those dealerships are grateful for your business.

Alan 03-26-2020 07:13 PM

Quick update ... Ordering a new 340 is not an option as production has closed down which my dealer confirmed today so we can’t order another one ...

Who would ever think we would be in this position and i’m not talking about ordering a new car, I’m talking about just how weird life is general ... i’ll just extend the lease on the 340 until we can order one but if you told me a month or two ago this could happen I would think you’re crazy.

clyde 03-26-2020 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 557659)
Who would ever think we would be in this position and i’m not talking about ordering a new car, I’m talking about just how weird life is general ...

if you told me a month or two ago this could happen I would think you’re crazy.

Yeah. Similar thoughts in my new car purchase odyssey, too, for sure

Alan 04-09-2020 01:40 PM

So a weird update to this thread ... I extended my daughters lease on the A4 for 2 months (originally it was a 24 month lease) and just realized the extension is up this weekend ... the car just sits in the driveway being no one is driving anywhere except for me but I cannot return it to the dealer because the end of lease inspection isn't done and the dealer's sales department is closed.

I would think here has to be a way to return the car, I'm currently on hold with Audi Financial (going on 20 minutes listening to the worst hold music ever)

SARAFIL 04-09-2020 02:54 PM

Another white car ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 558072)
So a weird update to this thread ... I extended my daughters lease on the A4 for 2 months (originally it was a 24 month lease) and just realized the extension is up this weekend ... the car just sits in the driveway being no one is driving anywhere except for me but I cannot return it to the dealer because the end of lease inspection isn't done and the dealer's sales department is closed.

I would think here has to be a way to return the car, I'm currently on hold with Audi Financial (going on 20 minutes listening to the worst hold music ever)

Will they do a 3rd party inspection and if so could that company get out to you?

Also if you’ve had other Audi’s and plan to get another, maybe you can guilt them into a free extension for another month since you’re not using the car.

Alan 04-09-2020 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SARAFIL (Post 558075)
Will they do a 3rd party inspection and if so could that company get out to you?

Also if you’ve had other Audi’s and plan to get another, maybe you can guilt them into a free extension for another month since you’re not using the car.

Finally got through to Audi Financial after almost an hour on hold, it seems I can bring the car to the dealership but I then found out the dealer is closed until next Tuesday which is a couple of days after the lease is done ... I am pretty sure I’ll just drop it off at the dealer and do a video of the car showing no damage and then let them get it inspected.

It is such a shame to return this car, it has 14k miles and is only a little over 2 years old but my daughter wants an SUV being her school is in upstate NY and I keep trying to talk my 22 yr old son into buying it and I’ll pay for 2/3’s of the buy out price but I can’t get him to budge from a new 340 ...

equ 04-09-2020 11:00 PM

As someone who's had Audis for twenty years, I have trouble imagining a better car for upstate NY, but I guess your kids have specific tastes. I wouldn't go from my 340 to an a4 either...

Alan 04-09-2020 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 558107)
As someone who's had Audis for twenty years, I have trouble imagining a better car for upstate NY, but I guess your kids have specific tastes. I wouldn't go from my 340 to an a4 either...

I agree Audi’s are awesome, I think my rant got things confusing, my daughter who goes to school upstate has her A4 which is being replaced with a Q5 so she is still keeping in the Audi family.

My son who has the 2017 340 has his heart set on the new 340, my deal with him is he is turning 22 so he needs to now pay for his own car, I will help him out a bit on it but I told him if he buys out the A4 I’ll give him 20k towards it and let him pay off the balance.

kognito 04-10-2020 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 558111)
My son who has the 2017 340 has his heart set on the new 340, my deal with him is he is turning 22 so he needs to now pay for his own car, I will help him out a bit on it but I told him if he buys out the A4 I’ll give him 20k towards it and let him pay off the balance.

He may refuse this, and later in life will want to put himself on an asskicking machine for not doing it.

My mother bought one of the first Honda Accords sold in NJ. A few months later Dow gave her a company car with expense account for fuel. She offered the Accord to me and I turned her down. I ended up selling it for her for 2K more than she paid for it. (these first Accords were only made in Japan, and many more people here in the USA wanted the few that were available) Defiantly one of the most stupid moves I made in the 80's

Alan 04-10-2020 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kognito (Post 558119)
He may refuse this, and later in life will want to put himself on an asskicking machine for not doing it.

My mother bought one of the first Honda Accords sold in NJ. A few months later Dow gave her a company car with expense account for fuel. She offered the Accord to me and I turned her down. I ended up selling it for her for 2K more than she paid for it. (these first Accords were only made in Japan, and many more people here in the USA wanted the few that were available) Defiantly one of the most stupid moves I made in the 80's

I did something similar when I was 19, my father offered to by me a New Honda Prelude and he would continue to cover my insurance, I insisted on a Trans am, he said if you want a Trans am you’re completely on your own ... while it was an expensive decision, I worked my ass off and paid off the car in less then 2 years.

I remember paying over $6k just for the insurance.

robg 04-10-2020 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 558121)
I did something similar when I was 19, my father offered to by me a New Honda Prelude and he would continue to cover my insurance, I insisted on a Trans am, he said if you want a Trans am you’re completely on your own ... while it was an expensive decision, I worked my ass off and paid off the car in less then 2 years.

I remember paying over $6k just for the insurance.

Loved those 2nd gen preludes. Remembering being so jealous of a friend who had a black Si version. Its funny- I see other 80s cars driving around, but rarely preludes.

Alan 05-27-2020 05:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We took delivery of Stubby today ;) ... I have to say it is a really beautiful truck and my Daughter is really happy !!

wdc330i 05-27-2020 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 559642)
We took delivery of Stubby today ;) ... I have to say it is a really beautiful truck and my Daughter is really happy !!

Congrats! Looks like a really safe vehicle to wrap her in. I hope she enjoys it.

Plaz 05-28-2020 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 559642)

Congrats!

equ 05-28-2020 08:15 AM

Congrats, lucky girl!

kognito 05-28-2020 10:17 AM

Looks nice! Congrats!

zach 05-28-2020 10:22 AM

Nice!

dan 05-28-2020 10:24 AM

thicc

Plaz 05-28-2020 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan (Post 559657)