carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   No more SUV shopping (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=143682)

equ 01-06-2018 08:45 PM

No more SUV shopping

Signed the papers today.

ZBB 01-06-2018 09:12 PM

What did you get?

equ 01-06-2018 09:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel Overland. Picking up Monday or Tuesday.

Over twenty cars in my life. This definitely breaks the pattern:
- second SUV ever (after short lived x5 diesel)
- second diesel ever (after said x5d)
- second domestic ever (after my first car, an absolute POS mercury marquis)
- third automatic ever (after mercury and x5d)

Color is mostly gray but has enough brown to be interesting in person, similar to sparkling graphite perhaps, but lighter. So I like that a lot. I love the interior and stitched leather. Wanted the diesel after driving the usual pentastar six and the hemi. And condition was great. It was very clean for a used suv, more so than can be achieved by detailing. It has the tow package as well. It has air suspension, rides "sportier" as well as the capacity to raise. So it has almost everything I looked for except for one thing, the rear e-LSD (so it's quadra-trac ii instead of quadra-drive ii). Well, I had to compromise somewhere and in an awd vehicle with raising and locking center ability, I think I can give up on the rear differential. Sure would have been nice, but impossible to find.

The other SUV I liked to drive was the cayenne, but frankly I preferred the simpler and seemingly more spacious interior, less luxury image.

clyde 01-06-2018 10:20 PM

Enjoy!

3LOU5 01-07-2018 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 520192)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel Overland. Picking up Monday or Tuesday.

Over twenty cars in my life. This definitely breaks the pattern:
- second SUV ever (after short lived x5 diesel)
- second diesel ever (after said x5d)
- second domestic ever (after my first car, an absolute POS mercury marquis)
- third automatic ever (after mercury and x5d)

Color is mostly gray but has enough brown to be interesting in person, similar to sparkling graphite perhaps, but lighter. So I like that a lot. I love the interior and stitched leather. Wanted the diesel after driving the usual pentastar six and the hemi. And condition was great. It was very clean for a used suv, more so than can be achieved by detailing. It has the tow package as well. It has air suspension, rides "sportier" as well as the capacity to raise. So it has almost everything I looked for except for one thing, the rear e-LSD (so it's quadra-trac ii instead of quadra-drive ii). Well, I had to compromise somewhere and in an awd vehicle with raising and locking center ability, I think I can give up on the rear differential. Sure would have been nice, but impossible to find.

The other SUV I liked to drive was the cayenne, but frankly I preferred the simpler and seemingly more spacious interior, less luxury image.

Nice rig.

May you enjoy many trouble-free miles with her !!

equ 01-07-2018 05:49 AM

Thank you folks. The 2011 update to the JGC was significant. I was originally looking at 2011-2013 to keep the price down. Drove a hemi, liked it, thought about it, could not come to terms with expected realistic MPG (12-14). Then realized that the 2014 facelift is also pretty significant, especially transmission (8-speed ZF & paddles), displays/entertainment and perhaps some handling improvements (elk test, a long story). So that's how the budget crept up.

rumatt 01-07-2018 09:40 AM

Really cool. I'm curious to hear your thoughts over time.

Now.... What snow tires are you putting on it?

wdc330i 01-07-2018 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 520198)
Thank you folks. The 2011 update to the JGC was significant. I was originally looking at 2011-2013 to keep the price down. Drove a hemi, liked it, thought about it, could not come to terms with expected realistic MPG (12-14). Then realized that the 2014 facelift is also pretty significant, especially transmission (8-speed ZF & paddles), displays/entertainment and perhaps some handling improvements (elk test, a long story). So that's how the budget crept up.

Congrats! Should be a great fit for your needs. Just make sure it’s had all the recalls done—if affected. My in-laws have one and love it, not sure what specs but likely leaner than yours.

JST 01-07-2018 11:32 AM

Hm.

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showpo...82&postcount=6

rumatt 01-07-2018 01:45 PM

What made you go diesel?

Edit: I just read about the AWD modes. So Quadra trac 2 is pretty hardcore, just more off road focused.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/j...ed-106633.html

"Out of the two systems available for the Grand Cherokee, the Quadra-Trac II is the most capable version in off-road driving"