carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Test drove an e90 today (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=12670)

Rob 12-21-2007 11:11 PM

Test drove an e90 today

I am not exactly sure what happened, but I went to the local BMW dealer on the off chance they had a 330 I might be interested in with a CPO warranty (for cost comparison) and somehow got talked into test driving the 328. Followed by the 335.

I liked them. A lot. :erstaunt: I didn't even mind the interior once I heard the sound of the 335 opening up. THe chasis is tight, the body roll is non-existent, the steering feel is much better then I expected - the only thing I really disliked was the horribly light clutch.

I take back almost all the negative things I said about them.

Rob 12-21-2007 11:15 PM

I suppose I should have mentioned that it's not the first time I have driven them and I didn't have this same impression in teh past. Perhaps its the comparison. Last time it was compared to the CTSV (and before the 335 was out). This time its compared to a 328 with 200k miles on it. They were nice.

Jeff_DML 12-23-2007 12:58 PM

why do you hate light clutches? lose feel:dunno:

Sharp11 12-23-2007 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML (Post 168300)
why do you hate light clutches? lose feel:dunno:

My ZHP clutch compared to a Ferrari Marinello (which I had the privilege of driving a few years ago) feels light, very light, but compared to a Honda Accord or the like, feels heavy.

I remember the clutches in my dad's pickups being heavy and a '63 Jeep Truckster's I was given for a summer job being massively heavy compared to the 74 Datsun I was driving to the job everyday. I always got used to them in pretty short order.

That same Datsun, a 710, gave way to my first new car, a 1980 VW Rabbit - its light clutch made the Datsun's feel like a truck.

I think most people get used to whatever they drive and a quick switch to another car may seem more "alarming" than it really is...

Ed

Jeff_DML 12-23-2007 06:02 PM

my question is why is a heavier clutch better? you like the leg workout? Only thing I can see is you lose clutch feel:dunno:

I dont notice any less feel with my lighter wrx clutch versus our 325iT. Honda civics clutches do feel weird being so light and seem to have no feel, just press in a release, very vague engagement point.

lemming 12-23-2007 09:36 PM

i thought the pedal travel on the e90 clutch is pretty short and very devoid of feel with respect to the engagement point. easy to stall the car because you have absolutely no idea where the clutch grabs.

i don't mind the light clutch feel, though.

i find the 328 to be a superb car, but you really have to cane it to get it to giddyup.

equ 12-23-2007 11:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just got back from Vermont yesterday. Including that trip, I put 1350 miles on the e90 330xi in two weeks.

It's simply an excellent daily driver.

Sure the clutch could be better or the car could be a cayman or it could be a gt2. Whatever, once you get used to it, it just doesn't matter... It is very well isolated and cruises almost/just as well as an e39 while remaining as tight and even flatter than an e46. While I didn't think this whilst I owned an e46, I now think it's quite a leap past them (the zhp and some modified sports are still more fun, but the e90 is the better daily). Much more solid.

The normally aspirated 3.0 is a gem for daily driving, I got 29mpg on one all-highway tank and 27mpg on another (colder, more hills). Such a blessing after the s4. The xi gives up some steering feel, but I found the x-drive to be quite good (and I've had two audis and a subaru), much better than their last half-assed effort. It has a slight "delay" to it, hard to describe, but it still feels like a bmw. No worries on snow/ice and kicks the back if you gun it enough. Great for my ski trips, after 3 winters of rwd + snows, I'm enjoying not worrying about getting stuck.

The logic7 is the best car audio I've heard. Also it's quite simply controlled (non i-drive) and it took only an inexpensive monster cable/charger to hook up my ipod nicely.

The biggest con are the RFT tires - and even they are acceptable so long as you're not in the urban northeast (I didn't really notice them in Vermont). Some other minor cons are window button placement and of course, for the xi's, a certain lack of steering feel (but I'm willing to pay that price for awd).
The xi is a bit strange on turns, the car doesn't balance unless you're on the gas very early, so you have to turn in slow -but then so are most awd cars (and some famous rear-engined sports cars as well :eeps:)

I "familiarized" myself further with x-drive soon after I took this pic:

equ 12-23-2007 11:43 PM

Also, DTC seems better than on the e46. Perhaps it's the xi or my (over time) tamer driving but I never feel anything kick in. Driving the zhp seemed like a constant struggle against the overly intrusive DSC.

Lemming, did you get a 328i?

Nick M3 12-23-2007 11:56 PM

DSC is vastly less intrusive on the E90. (Although it won't feel that way in a 335.)

Sharp11 12-24-2007 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 168327)
Also, DTC seems better than on the e46. Perhaps it's the xi or my (over time) tamer driving but I never feel anything kick in. Driving the zhp seemed like a constant struggle against the overly intrusive DSC.

Lemming, did you get a 328i?

I did a brief run around a snow-covered cemetary the other day and the DSC was quite intrusive, I didn't bother turning it off or anything as there was a guy watching me suspiciously - as of he was going to call the police or something :rolleyes: - so I stopped and took a few pics then hit the local touchless wash.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2351/...2e242747_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2029/...f89a6fcb_b.jpg

Ed

Sharp11 12-24-2007 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming (Post 168322)
i thought the pedal travel on the e90 clutch is pretty short and very devoid of feel with respect to the engagement point. easy to stall the car because you have absolutely no idea where the clutch grabs.

Well, I'd put in a good word for the clutch in my car, but I'm afraid I'd get told my clutch sucks and I'm lacking proper smooth-clutch-detection ability. :rolleyes:

Ed

Rob 12-24-2007 01:25 AM

It's not necessarily that I hated the light clutch so much, it's just really light compared to the e36 clutch and it's not what I am used to. I prefer to be able to feel what's going on with the clutch more then I could with my test drive, but I can't really feel what's going on with any BMW clutch. The e36 is generally better (imo) then it's progeny, but my clutch has 208k on it and it's tough to feel anything with it other than the car did actually start to move.

When I had the 2001 330 and was test driving e36 M3s, the first thing I did after every test drive was try and put the 330 clutch through the floor. It was ridiculously light in comparison.

We went back to the dealer today so my wife could try a test drive. As a passenger, it's just another car. The ride was nice and everything and there are vents in the back to play with, but I didn't get the same feeling of suprise and mild excitement that I did when I drove.

Oh yeah - considering how much crap I have shoved the e90s way in the past, I sort of posted this as an invitation to slam me for inconsistency. Like I said . . . I take most of the bad things back. The nav system and i-drive still suck though.

TD 12-24-2007 02:38 AM

Well, I am amazed at how little I feel compelled to complain about my E90. While it fails to inspire passion, it also very good at being what it is. It is a highly satisfying and comfortable daily driver/commuter car. I have a list of complaints, but they're all relatively minor.

Optimus Prime 12-24-2007 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 168325)
Just got back from Vermont yesterday. Including that trip, I put 1350 miles on the e90 330xi in two weeks.

It's simply an excellent daily driver.

Sure the clutch could be better or the car could be a cayman or it could be a gt2. Whatever, once you get used to it, it just doesn't matter... It is very well isolated and cruises almost/just as well as an e39 while remaining as tight and even flatter than an e46. While I didn't think this whilst I owned an e46, I now think it's quite a leap past them (the zhp and some modified sports are still more fun, but the e90 is the better daily). Much more solid.

The normally aspirated 3.0 is a gem for daily driving, I got 29mpg on one all-highway tank and 27mpg on another (colder, more hills). Such a blessing after the s4. The xi gives up some steering feel, but I found the x-drive to be quite good (and I've had two audis and a subaru), much better than their last half-assed effort. It has a slight "delay" to it, hard to describe, but it still feels like a bmw. No worries on snow/ice and kicks the back if you gun it enough. Great for my ski trips, after 3 winters of rwd + snows, I'm enjoying not worrying about getting stuck.

The logic7 is the best car audio I've heard. Also it's quite simply controlled (non i-drive) and it took only an inexpensive monster cable/charger to hook up my ipod nicely.

The biggest con are the RFT tires - and even they are acceptable so long as you're not in the urban northeast (I didn't really notice them in Vermont). Some other minor cons are window button placement and of course, for the xi's, a certain lack of steering feel (but I'm willing to pay that price for awd).
The xi is a bit strange on turns, the car doesn't balance unless you're on the gas very early, so you have to turn in slow -but then so are most awd cars (and some famous rear-engined sports cars as well :eeps:)

I "familiarized" myself further with x-drive soon after I took this pic:

I've been very pleased with the 3.0 NA motor. We have a 6speed RWD, and we get over 30 mpg highway very easily. I like the DCS in general. In snow I turn it "half off" and it works well. Replacing the wheels and tires was a huge benifit, and it is a very good daily driver IMHO.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TD (Post 168342)
Well, I am amazed at how little I feel compelled to complain about my E90. While it fails to inspire passion, it also very good at being what it is. It is a highly satisfying and comfortable daily driver/commuter car. I have a list of complaints, but they're all relatively minor.

:+1

Jeff_DML 12-24-2007 05:40 PM

interior quality:dunno: :D

rwg, if you think a e46 clutch you need to drive something like a civic

SCA 12-24-2007 08:05 PM

No E90 complaints from me. Knock on wood.

DamnYank! 12-25-2007 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCA (Post 168380)

you don't drive the car enough to really establish any complaints...

SCA 12-26-2007 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamnYank! (Post 168393)
you don't drive the car enough to really establish any complaints...

Hmm...:rolleyes: I have some sort of a comment, but since I am going on 3 hours of sleep :ack: I will have to get back to you on that one.

zach 12-27-2007 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwg (Post 168247)
I am not exactly sure what happened, but I went to the local BMW dealer on the off chance they had a 330 I might be interested in with a CPO warranty (for cost comparison) and somehow got talked into test driving the 328. Followed by the 335.

I liked them. A lot. :erstaunt: I didn't even mind the interior once I heard the sound of the 335 opening up. THe chasis is tight, the body roll is non-existent, the steering feel is much better then I expected - the only thing I really disliked was the horribly light clutch.

I take back almost all the negative things I said about them.

How would you compare the 335 to your old cts-v and e36 M3?

JST 12-27-2007 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCA (Post 168380)

Same here. Just got back from an 800 mile round trip in ours. It slammed along through the mountains with aplomb, returned respectable gas mileage, and fit much more crap than I thought it would.

Also, it's really fast.

lemming 12-27-2007 10:29 PM

is respectable in the 20s?

just out of curiosity.

JST 12-27-2007 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming (Post 168501)
is respectable in the 20s?

just out of curiosity.

For the whole trip? Yes, mid to low 20s. On the highway it will get 27-29, though obviously less in the mountains. On our first leg back, from Cleveland to Breezewood, PA, we got 26.7. That's pretty fully laden.

lemming 12-27-2007 10:43 PM

that's astonishingly good.

SCA 12-27-2007 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 168502)
For the whole trip? Yes, mid to low 20s. On the highway it will get 27-29, though obviously less in the mountains. On our first leg back, from Cleveland to Breezewood, PA, we got 26.7. That's pretty fully laden.

The last road trip I took the E90 averaged 30 MPG and that was with my foot in it.

Rob 12-27-2007 11:47 PM

:unknw:
Quote:

Originally Posted by zcasavant (Post 168483)
How would you compare the 335 to your old cts-v and e36 M3?

Compared to the V, it's a really different car. It doesn't have as much power as the V did. It doesn't sound as angry from the engine compartment (although it does sound better from the exhaust imo). The stereo in teh BMW is hands down much better. The V handled as well, I am sure, but it didn't feel like it if I remember correctly. And the car always felt big. The belt line was way high with extra sheet metal over the wheels on the front fenders, for example. The V was an amazing car, but the e90 chasis is more rigid, tighter feeling and more BMW like. Honestly, after driving the V for a couple years, getting back behind the wheel of a silky smooth in line 6 was like coming home. And the motor that gave me that feeling is two generations old with over 200k miles on it.

If my memory serves me correctly, you can feel much more through the controls of the BMW then you could of the caddy by a lot. Especially the steering. But I haven't driven a V in nearly a year, so take these impressions with a grain of salt.

The V cockpit was probably better designed, but it wasn't attractive. The current BMW cockpit is kind of boring, but once you get it over calling it buick like (:eeps: ), it's relatively simple and elegant in comparison. It's probably not as functional or driver centric.

Compared to the M3, it's flatter around corners, faster, drives more effortlessly, sounds better, has a less functional, but more comfortable cockpit, has a million times better stereo, is faster, feels like it handles better, is lots faster and its faster. Cosmetically, they are very different, but the new model shares the low sight lines the 3 series has always had (as compared to, say . . . a CTS V). The chasis shows its superiority again without even trying. Compared to the current generation, the e36 chasis pretty much feels like it is held together with band aids. On the other hand, the e90 chasis is so composed that there is much less excitement in making it perform. I flogged one pretty well today and the salesman didn't even pause in his conversation. The M is more of a beast, less luxurious, has WAY less gadgets and might be more fun to drive in a completely aggresive seat of your pants kind of way. It's hard for me to say b/c I haven't driven an M3 hard in close to four years - and that car was significantly modded. On the other hand, if you choose the 335, $1400 and a software download from Dinan gets you another 80 hp or something like that and comes with warranty coverage.

The clutch feel of the e90 is better then my current e36 - but that clutch has 200k miles on it. The clutch in the V was very light and while positive, didn't communicate as much as it could have.

I . . . uh . . . ordered a car today.

Sharp11 12-28-2007 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwg (Post 168506)
I . . . uh . . . ordered a car today.

Hmmmmm.....what'd ya get?

(I was wondering why you'd been spending so much time over at the "fest;))

:lol:

Seriously, congrats - can't wait to see another new car on the boards!! That's fun.

Ed

Rob 12-28-2007 01:36 AM

yeah, well we don't have a critical mass of e90/92 owners to explore their faults here even if I would take most opinions here over any 10 over there. And I always seem to lurk in the poli sci forums in election years. It's fun to watch.

I ordered a 335i with a bunch of stuff. No nav on account of I simply cannot warm up to idrive and I can't stomach the cost of $2100 for a unit that will not work as well as my $300 Garmin. But all the packages, hd radio, ipod adapter, comfort access (yes, I am getting old, but I think it's cool) and . . . I think that's it. Monaco blue with black interior.

I have a car buying problem, no doubt. I just really, really liked driving this car and my wife discovered some safety concerns about child seats in the e36 328 that made her not want to let our kids in it. Never one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I jumped at the chance to start considering replacements. I thought I was going to get an e46 until I ended up on test driving the e90.

IndyMike 12-28-2007 06:57 AM

Good deal, rwg!

I agree 100% with your assessment of the E90. It is an amazingly competent and well balanced blend of sport and luxury, and remains the litmus test for all entry level sport sedans to emulate.

Unfortunately for me, in spite of these traits it just doesn't instill me with that 'gotta have it' feeling that its 3 generation of predecessors invigorated me with. Even with a handicap of 30% less ponies I think the ZHP is more raw and fun, and when you put the subjective stamps of cosmetic appeal both exterior and interior wise, well, it's too many for me to pry me away from the E46.

However, having recently purchased a new vehicle I understand how circumstances often dictate the chariot decisions we make and in your shoes I'm sure I'd have made the exact same choice.

And I'm looking forward to your opinion on your audio choices such as HD, etc. as that is the one area I'm still undecided about if I opt for an E82.

ff 12-28-2007 08:20 AM

Cool, rwg. :cool: When's the expected delivery date?

zach 12-28-2007 08:40 AM

Quote:

Compared to the V....

Wow, thanks for the review. I am also considering ordering a 335i (seriously this time) and this helps a lot. Are you buying or leasing? I ran the numbers on a lease yesterday and was not encouraged by the resulting payments. :ack:

JST 12-28-2007 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwg (Post 168511)
yeah, well we don't have a critical mass of e90/92 owners to explore their faults here even if I would take most opinions here over any 10 over there. And I always seem to lurk in the poli sci forums in election years. It's fun to watch.

I ordered a 335i with a bunch of stuff. No nav on account of I simply cannot warm up to idrive and I can't stomach the cost of $2100 for a unit that will not work as well as my $300 Garmin. But all the packages, hd radio, ipod adapter, comfort access (yes, I am getting old, but I think it's cool) and . . . I think that's it. Monaco blue with black interior.

I have a car buying problem, no doubt. I just really, really liked driving this car and my wife discovered some safety concerns about child seats in the e36 328 that made her not want to let our kids in it. Never one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I jumped at the chance to start considering replacements. I thought I was going to get an e46 until I ended up on test driving the e90.

Excellent--good choice, and a nice spec on the car. The nav sucks. Monaco blue is a nice color--not as nice as Montego, perhaps, :), but still pretty good.

I am sure you will enjoy that car.

BTW, IndyMike, we followed a new R32 home part of the way, and played follow the leader for a bit. That really is a nice car, and I've said it before and I'll say it again--but for the DSG, I'd own one.

clyde 12-28-2007 08:47 AM

Quote:

I haven't driven a V in nearly a year

I must have missed that decision. I recall that you were considering it when you were in the midst of trying to move, but not that you did anything about it. Oh well.

IndyMike 12-28-2007 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 168519)
BTW, IndyMike, we followed a new R32 home part of the way, and played follow the leader for a bit. That really is a nice car, and I've said it before and I'll say it again--but for the DSG, I'd own one.

Sounds like you both had a kick. :)

He's probably still within the break-in window, but hopefully he gave you an earful of the exhaust note that is like sweet music to an enthusiasts ears.

It's adventures like you describe that always causes me to remember that when traveling to a faraway destination as the chauffeur the journey to and back should be at least half the fun of the entire experience. Unless you are driving an SUV (as I have until recently on many occasion) or other similar type appliance in which case you can't wait to get there, and then back again.

And if VOA does not sell out the intended run of 5k it will most likely be for the reason you cited.

Besides the obvious issue of weight, the lack of a stick and availability of deep black pearl paint seem to be the biggest stumbling blocks. I can understand the former two, but the latter still evades me. :scratch:

SARAFIL 12-28-2007 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcasavant (Post 168518)
Wow, thanks for the review. I am also considering ordering a 335i (seriously this time) and this helps a lot. Are you buying or leasing? I ran the numbers on a lease yesterday and was not encouraged by the resulting payments. :ack:

i think they have 3.9% financing right now on '08 328's and 4.9% on '08 335's.

SCA 12-28-2007 09:49 AM

Congrats! E90 or E92?

zach 12-28-2007 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SARAFIL (Post 168524)
i think they have 3.9% financing right now on '08 328's and 4.9% on '08 335's.

Yep. .00200 MF on 335s :(

SARAFIL 12-28-2007 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcasavant (Post 168526)

better than the coupes! .00235 and 3% less on the residual :eek:

ff 12-28-2007 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcasavant (Post 168526)

Is that good or bad?

zach 12-28-2007 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ff (Post 168529)
Is that good or bad?

it equates to 4.8% financing. A 24 month lease on a relatively loaded 335i sedan results in a mid to high 600s monthly payment.

ff 12-28-2007 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcasavant (Post 168530)
it equates to 4.8% financing. A 24 month lease on a relatively loaded 335i sedan results in a mid to high 600s monthly payment.

Good rate. Still more than I'd be interested in spending on a car these days, though.