carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Getting the itch… (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=160272)

ZBB 01-15-2023 02:58 PM

Getting the itch…

Ok… so I’ve had the Model 3 for just shy of 4.5 years now. I’ve never kept a car much past 5 years (The Model S went just over 5.25 years)….

Been thinking about what’s next for a few months now. But the 3 only has 26k miles on it (combination of the accident taking 5 months to complete repairs and shifting to work from home (planned before COVID actually)…. The 3 has also been rock solid — maintenance has so far been minimal (the only unscheduled service was a tire replacement due to a nail too close to the sidewall and I just had the 12V battery replaced a couple weeks ago). So a part of me wants to just keep the 3 for a few more years. But the itch is hard to ignore…

Problem is, I’m all over the place. I’ve priced out all of the below:
  • Taycan Cross Turismo - there’s one in stock in Dallas that has a great config (Carmine red, with Limestone beige interior, and a decent set of options).
  • Kia EV6 (GT or regular) - I’ve been avoiding a test drive since I think I’ll like it a lot (love the design…)
  • Genesis GV60 - not yet avail in TX, but one of the reasons I’ve been holding off on testing the Kia is so I can test the GV60 and the Kia on the same day…
  • Rivian R1S - Haven’t seen one in person yet, but I love what I hear (and I’ve talked with a couple R1T owners. I’ve configured one, but a deposit now would be delivered in “late ‘23”…
  • Volvo EX90 or Polestar 3 - can pre-order now, but delivery won’t be for 12-15 months for either. Like the Polestar design slightly better, but it’s also priced about $15k higher.
  • ND Miata - yes, I’ve even configured an ICE…. Part of me is thinking why spend a bunch of money on something that doesn’t get a lot of miles and will often sit at the airport (I drive a couple hundred miles a month these days — and I’m traveling 1-3x most months now). One idea is getting a used Miata (why doesn’t Mazda offer the tan interior anymore?), and keeping the 3 (we’ll need a 3rd car once my daughter gets her license)…

Nothing imminent, but I may need to do some test drives…

JST 01-15-2023 03:10 PM

Keeping the 3 and getting an ICE sports car seems like a no brainer; this is a terrible time to sell a Tesla, and EV vehicles are only going to get better (while ICE sports cars are only going to get rarer).

A Miata is a good idea but if it’s going to be a third car and split driving duties with the Tesla, you could also get something more interesting. Supra? Boxster?

wdc330i 01-15-2023 03:50 PM

I suspect there will be a nice Boxster available when FC gets his GTS…

Edit: Confirmed? For the US market? A manual Z4 later this year… https://www.bmwblog.com/2023/01/14/b...-transmission/

FC 01-15-2023 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 593781)
I suspect there will be a nice Boxster available when FC gets his GTS…

Yes. But definitely agree with an ICE sportscar.

I'll probably back myself into that setup when I upgrade from the GTI into what would likely be a nice-ish 4-door EV.

wdc330i 01-15-2023 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 593782)
Yes. But definitely agree with an ICE sportscar.

I'll probably back myself into that setup when I upgrade from the GTI into what would likely be a nice-ish 4-door EV.

Makes a ton of sense, I think.

ZBB 01-15-2023 09:23 PM

If I keep the 3, I have a mental block spending much more than a Miata costs…

As for other options, I have no interest in a Supra or Z4. I was also spoiled by my prior Boxster (987.1 S with full leather in a rare color combo), so if I went that route, I’d prefer a 981, but a 987.2 S might be OK. I’d skip the 4 cylinder 982s though….

Porsche’s search did turn up this: https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/...reowned-W72Z5M

John V 01-16-2023 07:41 AM

I'm told the R1S drives much differently than the R1T...sounds like it has very different suspension tuning. Something to keep in mind if you're expecting an SUV version of the R1T

SCA 01-16-2023 09:13 AM

As you know the novelty of my RIT wore off rather quickly. My experience with Rivian was and is still rather embarrassing at least on their part. Even though I notified my former Rivian Guide the day that I sold the truck, which included emailing her various information on the new owner at her request. Rivian service is still contacting me five months later in an attempt to schedule service for the three service tickets that I created in July. I have been contacted 2-3 times regarding a recall. Rivian has recently sent me a huge box of the all weather mats that had been delayed because of supply constraints. When orderers were notified of this I canceled and received a refund, yet they still shipped out the mats anyways. I have received three emails since the sale that I have a new guide (total of 3 since June ‘22). No clue what the story is behind that nor do I care. Every now and then I will receive a random text about my truck as well. Strange…

Generally when you notify an automotive manufacturer that you no longer own a vehicle or they have been contacted by the new owner, that’s it! To me it appears that certain individuals are not doing their job and/or communication within is nearly nonexistent. From the get-go when I was contacted that my truck was ready I noticed nothing but, disorganization. I thought it wasn isolated because of my original guide, but apparently not. Clearly I expected more… I will be highly surprised if they make it without a buyout.

Edit: Note, I want Rivian to succeed as I have the max of the initial IPO that was offered to R1T/R1S preholder’s. Their stock is in the toilet these days. I will be highly surprised if they make it without a buyout.

Several Top Rivian Executives Depart After Electric-Truck Maker’s Production Miss: https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/other...ss/ar-AA16fSY0

ZBB 01-16-2023 09:57 AM

@JohnV - Considering I haven’t driven a Rivian, I’m not too concerned yet. At some point I’ll see how to test drive a R1S

@SCA - I’m also not convinced Rivian will make it. We’ll see — they need to scale and likely need help. The only question is who could save them? I’d say Honda if they didn’t seem to be stretching with Sony…

Also, I wouldn’t be too surprised about the disconnect between ownership and service. Tesla still has issues with that — I received an email from their Cinci service center about parts being in for a recall. I went into the app to schedule service, and it said mobile service was avail — and out in my old address in OH. Went back and confirmed Tesla has the TX address on file, but a behind the scenes DB still had the Ohio address…

Alan 01-16-2023 12:59 PM

Wow that is some selection, have you driven a Polestar ? I did and I really liked how the interior was 'normal' instead of just a big ipad like the Tesla has. Don't get me wrong I think the tesla is really cool too but at least the Polestar is something different then what you are used to.

Also I would not rule out a 4 Cylinder 718, I have it in the Cayman and the Torque kicks in down low and the car is pretty fast. It kept right up with my sons M340. I know some here don't like the sound but I think it is a great engine. I never would have considered it but when I got a Cayman loaner many years ago I was surprised by what a great car it was.

John V 01-16-2023 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBB (Post 593809)
@JohnV - Considering I haven’t driven a Rivian, I’m not too concerned yet. At some point I’ll see how to test drive a R1S

Sure, just saying if you're talking to people about the R1T and taking that into account for the S, it sounds like they are quite different.

My buddy has the R1T and it's impressive, though there are some really dumb design elements to it that I'm not sure I could deal with on a daily basis.

equ 01-16-2023 03:32 PM

Not a good time to sell a tesla, you love them anyway, stick it out...

SARAFIL 01-16-2023 03:42 PM

Throttle House had a good review on the R1S recently on YouTube and definitely had concerns with ride vs. the R1T.

Jeff_DML 01-16-2023 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 593839)
Not a good time to sell a tesla, you love them anyway, stick it out...

ZBB 04-07-2023 07:35 PM

So... I did most of my perseverating in the 911 thread, but I haven't posted an update here...

Over the last week, I've done a few test drives and put a deposit down today...

- 2018 911 C2S Cab. This was a fairly lightly optioned car, although it was in fantastic condition. I mostly liked the color combo (blue top was odd and I surprisingly liked the interior color). But it felt pretty basic (manual seats for example). Was nice to drive, but I just can't wrap my head around spending over $100k on a car that didn't match a more "ideal" spec for me. I mentioned having full leather in the Boxster, and I now realize how special that find was. The one thought I had when driving the 911 was that even though the 991 interior looks different than the 987 I sold a decade ago, much of the feel was the same -- similar view over the hood, similar steering feel, similar shifting feel, etc.

- Miata RF (the hard top). Actually drove 2 (stick and automatic; the automatic was just to see the color combo, and it felt rude to not take it for a drive). The stick was black on black and they had none with the terracotta interior at that dealership, but I did get a good feel for top up and top down driving. I drove the automatic this afternoon, and its a rainy day, so got a good feel for the hard top and wipers. I also was reminded at how much I really dislike torque converters (even with paddle shifters avail). The color combo on the auto was fantastic though -- Platinum Quartz Metallic over Terracotta Nappa leather. I was worried the paint color would be too much like the champaign metallic color that used to be fairly common on Lexi and BMWs, but its not. Its actually a silvery-gray with a bit of tan in it, which looks really good with the terracotta interior, which is between a baseball glove and basketball (less orange that a basketball though). As for driving top down... Even though the RF has a fixed portion of the roof, the top section and back window glass fold down and you really can't see them, so it feels like a full convertible. But with it up, there is not a lot of road noise and it did great in the rain. Driving feel is great; it feels plenty fast, and shifting was just about perfect from a feel standpoint. There's also a nice view over the long hood, especially with the wheel arches being higher than the center of the hood (not exactly the same as the Porsche view, but more similar than you'd think).

- Kia EV6 -- I figured I'd better drive it before making a decision. Honestly, this is a fantastic car, with decent room. The rear storage space is a bit smaller than the Model Y (feels a good 30-40% smaller -- not as tall nor as deep). It drives well -- and like most EVs has really good acceleration. I drove an AWD model, and it was interesting seeing the graph on the driver screen showing that most of the drive that only the rear wheels had power / regen. I saw a short blip of regen on the front wheels once. It also has regen paddles -- the left one gives max regen and the right one a light regen (neither paddle was set to mid-regent, although you can change the default to any of the 3 settings...). Good decent car, but it really didn't excite me as much as I thought it would (I had a similar feeling after driving the Mustang Mach E a year or so ago...)

I also stopped by the Hyundai/Genesis dealer and looked at both the Ionic 6 (the droopy butt sedan...) and the GV60 (which is the Genesis version of the EV6/Ionic 5 triplets), but didn't drive either. After driving the EV6, I figured they would drive similar, and ended up not being that interested in driving them. The GV60 looks smaller than the EV6, even though its likely very similar in dimensions. The Ionic 6 has a presence to it -- its longer overall and has some really interesting design elements. But I don't want a sedan.

So, it turns out that the Miata is the answer to this itch! I put a deposit on a manual version of the one I drove today -- same color combo. Its somewhere in the Pacific right now and slated to arrive in 3-6 weeks (currently scheduled for late April, but I wouldn't be surprised if it slips to mid May...).

I feel good. Something new. Something fun. Different than before (which was partly what nagged me about the 911 -- I already had a Porsche, and felt like having something different this time)...

wdc330i 04-07-2023 07:51 PM

Excellent. We need a Mazda in the Mudgeons family again.

Plus, it won’t be so precious your family can’t drive it.

Congrats!

Jeff_DML 04-07-2023 08:02 PM

congrats on the Miata:cool:

Josh (PA) 04-07-2023 08:31 PM

That's awesome, looking forward to hearing more about it when it arrives. I could see getting a used ND. To keep at the lake sometime in the next year or two when the market settles. Let us know how it is to live with.

ZBB 04-07-2023 09:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks all!

Here’s a couple pics that show the color combo (this is the automatic car)…

This will likely be the last ICE I will buy. The desire for top-down driving took precedence. Maybe I’ll get the Boxster EV next!

robg 04-07-2023 09:32 PM

Nice - love that you can get nice leather seats in that color. To get something similar with Porsche I’m pretty sure it would be an extra 7k!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCA 04-07-2023 10:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Fixed your pics.

wdc330i 04-07-2023 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBB (Post 596221)
Thanks all!

Here’s a couple pics that show the color combo (this is the automatic car)…

This will likely be the last ICE I will buy. The desire for top-down driving took precedence. Maybe I’ll get the Boxster EV next!

Boxster EV is on my list! I possibly just my new last car. Period. TBD.

lip277 04-07-2023 11:01 PM

Cool

Looking forward to seeing this play out (delivery and all the goodies)

Alan 04-08-2023 07:47 AM

That is a really nice color combo, we have the same combo on our Q7 … is this car in addition to the Tesla 3 or a replacement ?

wdc330i 04-08-2023 08:17 AM

Now that I think about it, I have built a Miata in that combo myself. I think it’s the best option they have.

FC 04-08-2023 08:47 AM

Miatas are great. The new ones are very nice. Congrats! They are not perfect, but the ratio of fun:dollars is huge and practically unbeatable.

ZBB 04-08-2023 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 596228)
That is a really nice color combo, we have the same combo on our Q7 … is this car in addition to the Tesla 3 or a replacement ?

Thanks!

It’s an additional car. The 3 will be avail for our daughter once she gets her license…

JST 04-08-2023 09:08 AM

Really would like to try one with the updated engine. But I still wish they would do a turbo.

wdc330i 04-08-2023 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 596234)
Really would like to try one with the updated engine. But I still wish they would do a turbo.

The turbo engines were the problematic ones, but perhaps they have ironed that out by now. There was also the rumor of the six cylinder, but apparently that is DOA.

ZBB 04-08-2023 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 596222)
Nice - love that you can get nice leather seats in that color. To get something similar with Porsche I’m pretty sure it would be an extra 7k!

The seats are a $300 option :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 596234)

I drove an early ND at an auto show test drive thing when they first came out... Too long ago for me to compare to the ND2 spec.

The ND2 has 181HP vs 155 in the ND1 -- so a 16% bump. When I drove the manual last weekend, it felt good. Not super fast, but not slow either. I also drove it the morning after driving the 911, and honestly, it didn't feel like it accelerated much different (and I wasn't being particularly aggressive with either car)... Part of that might just be that you feel like you are going faster in the Miata -- I found I was just below the limit when I felt I was a few over (both in a 45 zone and a 65-posted freeway)...

This will mostly be a car used to run errands, go to the airport, etc. As long as its not rainy or too muggy, I can put the top down and enjoy those drives...

wdc330i 04-08-2023 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBB (Post 596236)
The seats are a $300 option :lol:

I drove an early ND at an auto show test drive thing when they first came out... Too long ago for me to compare to the ND2 spec.

The ND2 has 181HP vs 155 in the ND1 -- so a 16% bump. When I drove the manual last weekend, it felt good. Not super fast, but not slow either. I also drove it the morning after driving the 911, and honestly, it didn't feel like it accelerated much different (and I wasn't being particularly aggressive with either car)... Part of that might just be that you feel like you are going faster in the Miata -- I found I was just below the limit when I felt I was a few over (both in a 45 zone and a 65-posted freeway)...

This will mostly be a car used to run errands, go to the airport, etc. As long as its not rainy or too muggy, I can put the top down and enjoy those drives...

That’s about the same power our Z3 2.5 had. In a 6 cylinder…

ZBB 04-08-2023 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 596237)
That’s about the same power our Z3 2.5 had. In a 6 cylinder…

My mom had a 4 cylinder Z3 for a few years -- I think it was a '97. It has less power and was still fun :-)

wdc330i 04-08-2023 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBB (Post 596238)
My mom had a 4 cylinder Z3 for a few years -- I think it was a '97. It has less power and was still fun :-)

I remember those. And frankly, would not mind a turbo 4 in the Z4.

Alan 04-08-2023 10:34 PM

I just watched a video by the dreaded Doug about your new car … wow that car is just so cool, it is such a special car from the driver manual being kept in the trunk being there is no glovebox, to the movable cup holders, the actual drive and feel of the car to the cool retractable hard top …

Great choice !!!

My family had a 1990 red Miata and then a 1991 special green edition … just a really fun car !!

Btw I see the Z 3 mentioned, we had one of those when it first came out, also a fun car.

robg 04-10-2023 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBB (Post 596236)

Nice- the Miata is a perfect car for that use case.

equ 04-12-2023 05:16 PM

Congratulations! If I didn't already have the boxster, I would buy a miata for sure. I love the latest generation.

ZBB 04-14-2023 10:00 AM

Since the Miata won't arrive for 2-3 more weeks, I've been looking at some accessories to get. Using this post to save some links for reference -- not buying most these before it arrives, but I could see getting some of the below once I have the car for a bit:

Trunk lid springs, so the trunk opens all the way when pushing the key or bumper button:
https://mx5things.com/collections/ma...unk-lid-popper

Trunk organizer that fits in the lower well:
https://mx5things.com/collections/ma...006-2016-nc-nd

The guy selling the springs and trunk organizer also has a Thingiverse page for 3D printing parts for both of those as DIY (we have a 3D printer, so I might DIY the trunk thing -- just would need to buy a MDF panel and spend some time cutting the dividers out). He has a few other things too:
https://www.thingiverse.com/ssh16/designs

SmartTop module that allows 1-touch top up/down and also allows it to work while in gear and to set the top speed (the stock config requires holding the switch for the 13 seconds it takes to drop/raise the top, and the car must be in neutral and moving <6mph). It also allows the switch operation to be reversed -- the stock switch feels backward -- pull up to lower and push down to close, so reversing would be nice. I could see this being handy if you need to put the top up while at a light and the light turns green -- apparently with the stock option, as soon as you put the clutch in, the roof stops moving...
http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/in...de=view&id=162

Alternative top controller that also has an optional window controller to add 1-touch windows up. This one also allows use of the key fob if the accessory part below is installed. https://flyinmiata.com/products/mx5t...oof-controller

Accessory power override (keeps accessory when engine off for up to 10 min or until driver door opened). Also allows the roof up/down with engine off and the use of the key fob to open or close roof/windows with the above controller.
https://mx5things.com/collections/ma...wer-controller

This isn't Miata-specific, but I've really gotten used to having telematics recorded on my Teslas. After reviewing a few options, this one looks to be the best mix of features and value ($8/month subscription is pretty reasonable -- and I've looked at telematics packages for large fleets, so pretty familiar). There's an OBDII dongle that costs $77, plus the monthly fee (with no lock-in/cancel fee) -- part of the fee covers the cell service.
https://www.bouncie.com

Trunk rack with vacuum cups (unlikely to get this soon, but if we keep the car past our daughter going to college, I could see doing weekend road trips, so a bit more luggage capacity might be nice):
http://revo-rack.com/language/en/con...-luggage-rack/

A storage panel that goes on the under side of the trunk lid with straps to hold various things. Kind of hard to describe -- so look at the pics in the link.
https://ankhasport.com/products/trunk-lid-platform

Stubby antenna (the Miata still has an aerial). I'll probably buy this before the car arrives -- not too worried about lower reception since I really won't listen to the radio much (I tend to listen to podcasts in the car)...
https://www.cravenspeed.com/the-orig...%20%7C%20%2425

Phone mount that fits in the cup-holder clip. They also have a version that has an aluminum ring that fits around one of the AC vents, but I like the cup-holder clip option since I might not need the phone to always be visible. There's also an adapter for it that takes Apple's MagSafe charging puck.
https://www.cravenspeed.com/the-gemi...a+RF4th+gen+ND

Seat belt holster -- keeps the passenger seat belt from flapping when not buckled in.
https://www.cravenspeed.com/seat-bel...a+RF4th+gen+ND

"Miata" script badge that replaces the "SkyActiv" badge in the back. Similar to the NA badge...
https://www.carbonmiata.com/shop/maz...ogo-version-1/

wdc330i 04-14-2023 10:23 AM

Two observations:

I had a stubby antenna for my M3 convertible and my 2 series convertible. No perceivable loss of signal and a big visual improvement.

I need that seatbelt holster for my 4 passenger side belt. I think the tensioner was a cost/parts cut in the car, because it knocks against the interior and drives me crazy.

robg 04-14-2023 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 596373)
Two observations:

I had a stubby antenna for my M3 convertible and my 2 series convertible. No perceivable loss of signal and a big visual improvement.

I need that seatbelt holster for my 4 passenger side belt. I think the tensioner was a cost/parts cut in the car, because it knocks against the interior and drives me crazy.

I remember my e46 had really weak seatbelt tensioners as well - so the passenger belt was always flopping around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FC 04-14-2023 10:57 AM

My NC Miata had horrible seat belt tensioners as well. The driver's side was very slack.