carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   For anyone looking for a sweet 987S (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=30599)

Alan 01-09-2010 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 253273)
My buddy has an '08 911 Carrera S convertible.

Tiptronic.

It is zero fun to drive. And yeah, it looks weird.

I drove a friends 09 911 Carrera c4s cab with that new Automatic/manual transmission ... sounds similiar to your friends car though this new transmission is supposed to be 1000 times better.

Anyway the damn thing was incredible ... the shifts were instant, I never drove a non clutch car that shifted this amazing. It also has this crazy ass mode where it stays in the lowest gear and does not upshift until you hit redline.

It is my understanding that even automatic haters love this transmission.

BTW Don't even say it, I already agree, I would prefer a manual 911 as well

SARAFIL 01-09-2010 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 253274)
I drove a friends 09 911 Carrera c4s cab with that new Automatic/manual transmission ... sounds similiar to your friends car though this new transmission is supposed to be 1000 times better.

Anyway the damn thing was incredible ... the shifts were instant, I never drove a non clutch car that shifted this amazing. It also has this crazy ass mode where it stays in the lowest gear and does not upshift until you hit redline.

It is my understanding that even automatic haters love this transmission.

BTW Don't even say it, I already agree, I would prefer a manual 911 as well

Yeah, sounds like PDK which is light years ahead of Tiptronic.

I think JV was referring more to the fact that his friend's car was boring because it was an automatic convertible, not that the 911 in general is boring. With the right transmission it is a whole different car. And, as he was probably trying to argue, it is more "fun" in hardtop form. I'm on the fence on this one. In terms of pure handling ability, yes, but when it is a nice summer day and you can go for a fun ride on some back roads the convertible can deliver a very enjoyable experience too.

TD 01-09-2010 06:13 PM

Another- http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...r_id=261965292

I really need to stop looking.

John V 01-09-2010 07:19 PM

Vanilla 911s are boring compared to Boxsters.

Now a GT3, GT2, turbo... I can only imagine.

As far as PDK goes, I would strongly consider it for my next Porsche. Porsche's manual shifters have never given me warm fuzzies.

SARAFIL 01-09-2010 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TD (Post 253296)
Another- http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...r_id=261965292

I really need to stop looking.

I like that shade of blue better! ;)

JST 01-09-2010 10:23 PM

In person, the color of the car that TD originally posted is ver striking--if it's not exactly the same shade as BMW's Montego Blue, it's damn close. Unfortunately, that car also has a blue leather interior, which is not obvious from the pics. Also, I think it's sold.

As bad as the blue on blue combo is, the '01 they have that's '92 Taurus green over emerald green leather and mint green carpets is way, way worse.

The saleswoman gamely suggested that the green one wouldn't be so bad with black floormats, because then from the inside you could barely see the green. Yeah, no.

SARAFIL 01-09-2010 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 253313)
In person, the color of the car that TD originally posted is ver striking--if it's not exactly the same shade as BMW's Montego Blue, it's damn close. Unfortunately, that car also has a blue leather interior, which is not obvious from the pics. Also, I think it's sold.

As bad as the blue on blue combo is, the '01 they have that's '92 Taurus green over emerald green leather and mint green carpets is way, way worse.

The saleswoman gamely suggested that the green one wouldn't be so bad with black floormats, because then from the inside you could barely see the green. Yeah, no.

I never liked the shade of Montego for some reason. I liked the lighter Estoril and the darker Lemans, Mystic, etc. that BMW has offered.

clyde 01-09-2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Ever say something along the lines of "can't stand the fucking color" and get the "oh, you could always repaint it" response?

Terri Kennedy 01-09-2010 11:35 PM

Quote:

Worst BMW Individual color combo ever: Purple Haze (A24) exterior, Birch Red (630) trim, Atlantis leather in ostrich (individual, no code).

I'm amazed that BMW processed the order. I expect that several people on the production line vomited.

JST 01-12-2010 10:52 PM

Found a leftover '08 base 987. Never been titled; has something like 200 miles on it. Important options are a decent color, 18" Cayman wheels, and the sport steering wheel. They're asking 39 for it; original sticker was something like 55.

Only has 3 years of warranty on it since it has been sitting for so long, but 3 years is better than nothing.

Seems like a solid deal, especially if there's room to negotiate, but I'm not sure a non-S is really what I want...and this was more than I had in mind to pay. Reactions appreciated.