carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   The BaT thread for the cars we won't buy, but kinda wish we would (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=120511)

JST 05-08-2020 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 558973)
Me too, it was one of those cars that was aspirational when I was young. I thought it was the coolest Porsche of its time.

My parents shopped for one multiple times and broke my heart when they bought Subaru XTs instead. I distinctly remember getting dropped off at school in 8th grade in the XT the week after I told all my friends we were getting a 944. Talk about giving all your 14yr old frenemies something to tease you over.

I was a 928 partisan back in the day (even more so than the 911, at the time), but now as I look at them I think the 944 has aged way better. I still appreciate the 1st gen 928, but the 944 is just classic.

The 968 (and 964, for that matter) really didn't work. Both of them were too much about trying to dress up classic designs in fresh fashions.

There's no good reason to buy an S2, either. But that looks like it would be fun.

Jeff_DML 05-08-2020 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 558975)
I was a 928 partisan back in the day (even more so than the 911, at the time), but now as I look at them I think the 944 has aged way better. I still appreciate the 1st gen 928, but the 944 is just classic.

The 968 (and 964, for that matter) really didn't work. Both of them were too much about trying to dress up classic designs in fresh fashions.

There's no good reason to buy an S2, either. But that looks like it would be fun.

I love the squared off fenders of the 944:cool: just like the e30 M3(and my old wrx:eeps:)

JST 05-08-2020 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML (Post 558984)
I love the squared off fenders of the 944:cool: just like the e30 M3(and my old wrx:eeps:)

I didn't even post the UrQ.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-audi-quattro-3/

Jeff_DML 05-08-2020 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 558987)

doh, yeah of course:thumbup:

Jeff_DML 05-08-2020 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 558958)

I also really appreciate the build quality on this one:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/s5...i-zhp-6-speed/

yeah cool build, no sunroof,stick,cloth and imola cool.

But it looks a bit odd as a 4 door to me. I think the fender flares do not look right on the sedan.. Might of worked better if they left stock:dunno:

Theo 05-08-2020 05:03 PM

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-944-turbo-61/

And speaking of here’s a really nice one!!

The direct on front and rear shots are the best.

Josh (PA) 05-09-2020 03:58 PM

Thanks guys (equ, Kog, JST, SCA) for the positive comments in the auction discussion so far. I appreciate you getting it some attention.

kognito 05-09-2020 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 559014)
Thanks guys (equ, Kog, JST, SCA) for the positive comments in the auction discussion so far. I appreciate you getting it some attention.

Josh, 30+ years ago I swore I would never own a black car again. Then I bought that 2006 S4 ragtop in black a few years ago.

Seriously, if your Z3 had been a different color, it never would have made it to auction. Someone is going to get a sweet ride.

Right now I need to be talked out of this No clutch is a huge bummer. but I really like this exterior/ interior combo. I might make the mistake of finding out how much Jon S can save me and buy through him doing a Performance delivery

SARAFIL 05-10-2020 10:57 AM

The BaT thread for the cars we won't buy, but kinda wish we would

Quote:

Originally Posted by kognito (Post 559018)
Josh, 30+ years ago I swore I would never own a black car again. Then I bought that 2006 S4 ragtop in black a few years ago.

Seriously, if your Z3 had been a different color, it never would have made it to auction. Someone is going to get a sweet ride.

Right now I need to be talked out of this No clutch is a huge bummer. but I really like this exterior/ interior combo. I might make the mistake of finding out how much Jon S can save me and buy through him doing a Performance delivery

I hear they aren’t selling very well (no surprise- it’s not an SUV) so odds are you’d score a much better deal finding one off the lot at a bigger dealer vs. doing fresh order through Jon. The incentive to get rid of some “lot rot” and stop the bleeding w/ floor plan interest would work to your benefit on an in-stock car. No clue what Jon would do for you but let’s say invoice (-7% range) whereas you can probably buy off the lot for 12-15% off if you find the right dealer.

kognito 05-10-2020 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SARAFIL (Post 559030)
I hear they aren’t selling very well (no surprise- it’s not an SUV) so odds are you’d score a much better deal finding one off the lot at a bigger dealer vs. doing fresh order through Jon. The incentive to get rid of some “lot rot” and stop the bleeding w/ floor plan interest would work to your benefit on an in-stock car. No clue what Jon would do for you but let’s say invoice (-7% range) whereas you can probably buy off the lot for 12-15% off if you find the right dealer.

I haven't been to this dealer in almost 2 years, so things must have changed. But 2 years ago. every single new car on their lot was marked UP, and each car was sold with a 600 dollar document fee on the window.

There are a shitload of BMW's on the road around here, so I assume there is some sort of special purchase via Spartanburg employee discount. I also assume those purchases are direct, and not through this dealer. (although, of course, Century does have a very large service department)

Josh (PA) 05-11-2020 07:24 AM

The new Z4 does look like a fun roadster. It does suck they didn't offer a manual with the B58 and have no plans for an M version. I like the styling and from the reviews, they got a lot right with the car and platform for Toyota.

I'm happily surprised how well my auction is going to this point. We just hit the bare minimum where I am no longer at risk of wife retribution for going no reserve.

kognito 05-11-2020 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 559037)
The new Z4 does look like a fun roadster. It does suck they didn't offer a manual with the B58 and have no plans for an M version. I like the styling and from the reviews, they got a lot right with the car and platform for Toyota.

I'm happily surprised how well my auction is going to this point. We just hit the bare minimum where I am no longer at risk of wife retribution for going no reserve.

This is also in stock at Century and I think is as close to an M as you can get (but wrong transmission) https://www.century-bmw.com/new/BMW/...40f622aae4.htm

wdc330i 05-11-2020 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kognito (Post 559038)
This is also in stock at Century and I think is as close to an M as you can get (but wrong transmission) https://www.century-bmw.com/new/BMW/...40f622aae4.htm

Nice color. Boy, these sure got expensive. I think our 2001 Z3 (admittedly 2.5 engine) was just under $30k. But nice to see the Zs with a cloth top again.

Josh (PA) 05-11-2020 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 559039)
Nice color. Boy, these sure got expensive. I think our 2001 Z3 (admittedly 2.5 engine) was just under $30k. But nice to see the Zs with a cloth top again.

My z3 listed at $38k back in 1998 and sold to my parents for just over $33k. In todays numbers thats right around $60k (based on google) so on the one hand its a lot of money, on the other its not that much different than its always been.

Plaz 05-11-2020 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 559037)
The new Z4 does look like a fun roadster. It does suck they didn't offer a manual with the B58 and have no plans for an M version.

Holy shit I either never knew or forgot you can't even get a Z4 with three pedals. :cry:

JST 05-11-2020 12:35 PM

Re: the auction—I think it’s going well because you’re doing everything right as a seller, staying engaged, answering questions, and adding detail when ppl request it.

Plus it’s a really honestly presented car, in nice shape. It’s a good combo for BaT.

I think the auction has a ways to go, and I suspect you’ll be quite pleased with the end result.

Josh (PA) 05-11-2020 05:18 PM

So what happens to auctions when BAT crashes (like it's been doing for the last 40 mins)?

Josh (PA) 05-11-2020 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 559042)
Re: the auction—I think it’s going well because you’re doing everything right as a seller, staying engaged, answering questions, and adding detail when ppl request it.

Plus it’s a really honestly presented car, in nice shape. It’s a good combo for BaT.

I think the auction has a ways to go, and I suspect you’ll be quite pleased with the end result.

Thanks. I'm trying to dole out information each day so there is ongoing discussion. Tomorrow wi be pics of the spare tire and it's under car storage...

lip277 05-11-2020 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 559051)
So what happens to auctions when BAT crashes (like it's been doing for the last 40 mins)?

Good question - It is down for me currently as well.

kognito 05-11-2020 06:45 PM

Working for me, sometimes they have a very desirable car that bogs down the system, they usually extend auction time when that happens.

Josh I think (so far) it has been a great sign that this 2000 M has always been within a few hundred of your car. It ends before your finish tomorrow. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...m-roadster-60/

Good luck sleeping tonight! ;) and best of luck tomorrow!

JST 05-11-2020 07:38 PM

They had server issues this afternoon and extended at least one of the auctions that should have ended today (the UrQ, and I assume others, but that is the only one I was watching) by 24 hours.

Josh (PA) 05-11-2020 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 559063)
They had server issues this afternoon and extended at least one of the auctions that should have ended today (the UrQ, and I assume others, but that is the only one I was watching) by 24 hours.

Thanks, good to hear they extend them. BAT crashed a week or so ago as well. I guess there was an NSX Zanardi addition that was the bees knees and had lots of traffic / comments that overwhelmed the server.

wdc330i 05-12-2020 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 559064)
Thanks, good to hear they extend them. BAT crashed a week or so ago as well. I guess there was an NSX Zanardi addition that was the bees knees and had lots of traffic / comments that overwhelmed the server.

Good luck on the final push today!

FC 05-12-2020 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 559067)
Good on the final push today!

:+1

Theo 05-12-2020 05:34 PM

Nice work JST!

It only takes two that want it.

wdc330i 05-12-2020 06:01 PM

Wow. Great outcome!

Josh (PA) 05-12-2020 06:41 PM

This is the niche of the market where the COVID situation is propping values, and why I really wanted it listed last week / this week. The gentleman who is purchasing it if from the NY area, somewhat older and sick of being stuck inside worrying about life. He has always wanted a fun car and said F it, the time is now if I'm going to be locked down at home I might as well be able to take a roadster out for drives.

I think the run of the mill cars and the exceedingly expensive / people need to get out of them because they can't afford them cars are suffering, but the sub $30k collectables are doing very well.

lemming 05-12-2020 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 559103)
This is the niche of the market where the COVID situation is propping values, and why I really wanted it listed last week / this week. The gentleman who is purchasing it if from the NY area, somewhat older and sick of being stuck inside worrying about life. He has always wanted a fun car and said F it, the time is now if I'm going to be locked down at home I might as well be able to take a roadster out for drives.

I think the run of the mill cars and the exceedingly expensive / people need to get out of them because they can't afford them cars are suffering, but the sub $30k collectables are doing very well.

That’s a great outcome!

I’ve been tracking cars every day and the values are really steady right now in this bubble of car fanatics.

equ 05-12-2020 11:05 PM

I'm once again thinking of listing the boxster. It's too recent a car to get good money on BaT, though - or so I think.

What are the main reasons? I don't drive it enough; have had it for four years and am increasingly photo-phobic (a doctor applied that term to me - so I'm not just saying it). Strong sunlight has never been good to me; more and more I find it triggering migraines. Sunday, I did about one hour top down but I had dark sunglasses, baseball cap and a hoodie over the cap just so I could bear it.

JST 05-12-2020 11:18 PM

That’s too bad about migraines. Those fucking suck.

Your car is really, really nice; it might do well on BaT, who knows, but I think Josh just gave a master class in how to sell on that platform—will let him comment on whether he thinks it’s worth it.

What are the specs of your car again? I don’t think I can justify swapping unless it’s for a GTS 4.0 that I would keep forever, but your car was really nice to drive.

clyde 05-13-2020 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 559114)
I'm once again thinking of listing the boxster. It's too recent a car to get good money on BaT, though - or so I think.

What are the main reasons? I don't drive it enough; have had it for four years and am increasingly photo-phobic (a doctor applied that term to me - so I'm not just saying it). Strong sunlight has never been good to me; more and more I find it triggering migraines. Sunday, I did about one hour top down but I had dark sunglasses, baseball cap and a hoodie over the cap just so I could bear it.

That sucks. Can still drive it top down at night, though, right?

wdc330i 05-13-2020 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 559115)
That’s too bad about migraines. Those fucking suck.

Your car is really, really nice; it might do well on BaT, who knows, but I think Josh just gave a master class in how to sell on that platform—will let him comment on whether he thinks it’s worth it.

What are the specs of your car again? I don’t think I can justify swapping unless it’s for a GTS 4.0 that I would keep forever, but your car was really nice to drive.

As I dimly recall his spec is near perfect. Except that it’s not Lava Orange :)

ZBB 05-13-2020 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 559122)
As I dimly recall his spec is near perfect. Except that it’s not Lava Orange :)

Its a beautiful spec... I didn't drive it like JST did, but I was admiring it in person that evening...

Josh (PA) 05-13-2020 08:24 AM

Quote:

That really does suck. I'm sorry to hear. You could get a STIG helmet with a blacked out visor and drive around in a full race suit.

FC 05-13-2020 08:29 AM

Quote:

That sucks. :(

I do like your car though.:eeps: It's not my dream spec, but pretty high up there.

Theo 05-13-2020 09:31 AM

Hmmmmmmmmm

Josh (PA) 05-13-2020 10:25 AM

Well this took a big turn for the worse:

Email to BaT i was copied on.
Good morning,
I won this auction yesterday but am uncomfortable completing the purchase.

I am the VP of a distribution company in NY and was told this morning of a restructuring in an to attempt to survive the downturn due to the pandemic.

Can this car be offered to the person I outbid? I don't want to hurt the seller, and would pay a reasonable difference to the seller if the other bidder buys the car for a bit less than I did.

Please advise.

Edit: I sent the guy a picture of the title and an unsigned draft bill of sale for review. What risks of fraud do I have?

dan 05-13-2020 10:27 AM

WTF?! That's awful. Hope it can be worked out

JST 05-13-2020 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan (Post 559143)
WTF?! That's awful. Hope it can be worked out

Yes, that sucks pretty hard. Hopefully they can arrange something with the next highest bidder. I wonder how often that happens?

clyde 05-13-2020 10:56 AM

Smoothest way out is if a sale to the other bidder can be arranged for something close. Hopefully, you're made whole between the original buyer and BAT making up for any difference.

But that's a pretty bad turn. :(