carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   The Marketplace (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   986/996/987/997 items (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=123232)

rumatt 05-06-2016 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy (Post 477613)
a rotund NYC cop showed up and tried to give me a hard time, but I weirded him out by going "No, thank you" every time he said "License, insurance, and registration". He finally told me to take off

No f*cking way. :lol:

John V 05-06-2016 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 477607)
I still can't believe I never had an issue in three years of no front tag on the RX-8, even spending two years all stickered up, little borla muffler and most of it with a yellow front bumper that basically screamed, "Hey, Johnny Law, lookie here! No front tag! Whatchagonnado?"

I'm pretty sure the instant I drive into Virginia I'm going to get pulled over for it. :lol:

clyde 05-06-2016 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy (Post 477613)
Once was outside LA, because it had an Oregon temp tag on it (it was on my first trip), and apparently there (is/was) no interstate lookup for temp tags.

If that was the claim, the cop was lying to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 477617)
I'm pretty sure the instant I drive into Virginia I'm going to get pulled over for it. :lol:

It would be funny it it wasn't true.

Sharp11 05-06-2016 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 477620)

Cops can lie legally, I never knew that until recently.

equ 05-06-2016 12:48 PM

I must have been lucky. I crossed Virginia twice when I swapped my 997.2 for the 987.2S. While I was not flying flying, definitely some porsche speeds and 25 over were attained. I had no idea about the reckless/prison scare stories at the time. What do I know about Virginia?

Terri Kennedy 05-06-2016 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 477620)

This was nearly 10 years ago, and the Oregon DMV office pulled out what looked like a very worn phone book, flipped to a page, and hand-wrote numbers on a blank temp tag with a marker. And then threw it out because they copied the number wrong. They then made a second one and then crossed something out in their phone book. Before they started, they asked me if I was an Oregon resident or would be taking it out-of-state. They asked for (and got) a brief look at my driver's license and the temp insurance card matching the Atom's VIN to make sure they were valid.

These days, with laser-printed temp tags, I can believe things are more organized.

clyde 05-06-2016 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy (Post 477691)
This was nearly 10 years ago, and the Oregon DMV office pulled out what looked like a very worn phone book, flipped to a page, and hand-wrote numbers on a blank temp tag with a marker. And then threw it out because they copied the number wrong. They then made a second one and then crossed something out in their phone book. Before they started, they asked me if I was an Oregon resident or would be taking it out-of-state. They asked for (and got) a brief look at my driver's license and the temp insurance card matching the Atom's VIN to make sure they were valid.

These days, with laser-printed temp tags, I can believe things are more organized.

I had a vehicle based discussion with California law enforcement in 1989 while driving a car with temporary MD tags.

As you said, the cop may have just wanted to check out the car. :dunno:

equ 10-14-2016 10:32 AM

I can move the silver wheel crests. My car's wheels are gray/dark gray, price dropped to $80.

I'm keeping the spare for now.

ZBB 10-14-2016 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBB (Post 477508)
FWIW, I have a set of black floor mats and clear side marker lights available if anyone wants them -- both are OEM should fit any 987 or 997.

The black mats were what I used (my car had a special order interior with matching tan mats that I was scared of ruining -- but I put the originals back in when I sold…)

Just quoting my earlier post -- if anyone wants these, let me know...

John V 10-14-2016 01:27 PM

I'll take them. Let me know what you want for them.