carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Going Faster (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What the Mazda RX-8 should have been (new autocross car build) (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=143692)

John V 03-28-2019 07:14 AM

I mean, the wing is huge. It's as wide as the car and is a dual element.

Regarding the splitter. It doesn't really provide any downforce. The goal of the splitter is to limit the amount of fast-moving air that flows under the car. Because most cars are essentially wing-shaped, they experience lift as they move through the air. If you minimize the amount of air under the car you minimize that lift effect.

The way the rules are written, the amount of rear downforce available due to the wing far exceeds the lift reduction due to the splitter. And the wing is obviously less effective at lower speeds. The idea is the car can be set up on the loose (oversteer) side at low speeds where you want and need a lot of rotation, and at higher speeds the car will tighten up (neutral to understeer) making it easier to drive through fast transitions.

John V 03-29-2019 01:39 PM

Tomorrow morning I head down to Virginia Beach so Peter and I can tune the RX-8. I'm unreasonably anxious and nervous about this trip. New engine management for Peter - he's never tuned a Haltech car before. So much stuff new on the car and engineered by me, so I'm worried something will break or cause us to not be able to get the car to work correctly, making it a wasted trip.

I am trying to channel my inner Clyde and say I've done what I can to prepare for the trip, whatever happens will happen and we'll move on to the next step. Car breaks, I bring it back home, fix it, and make another trip in a week or whatever. Car doesn't run right, we spend all day debugging stuff, don't make much progress, wasted day, ugh, but we move on.

I have no real reason to post this other than I'm super neurotic about stuff that is unfamiliar, and I know I won't sleep at all tonight, so towing down at 5AM is going to be pretty fun.

Okay, I feel better. Plus, Marisa is coming with me, and if nothing else we will stop at Pelon's for fish tacos (worth the trip by itself) and we'll get to hang out with Peter.

clyde 03-29-2019 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 547294)
Tomorrow morning I head down to Virginia Beach so Peter and I can tune the RX-8. I'm unreasonably anxious and nervous about this trip. New engine management for Peter - he's never tuned a Haltech car before. So much stuff new on the car and engineered by me, so I'm worried something will break or cause us to not be able to get the car to work correctly, making it a wasted trip.

I am trying to channel my inner Clyde and say I've done what I can to prepare for the trip, whatever happens will happen and we'll move on to the next step. Car breaks, I bring it back home, fix it, and make another trip in a week or whatever. Car doesn't run right, we spend all day debugging stuff, don't make much progress, wasted day, ugh, but we move on.

I have no real reason to post this other than I'm super neurotic about stuff that is unfamiliar, and I know I won't sleep at all tonight, so towing down at 5AM is going to be pretty fun.

Okay, I feel better. Plus, Marisa is coming with me, and if nothing else we will stop at Pelon's for fish tacos (worth the trip by itself) and we'll get to hang out with Peter.

Yeah, if it breaks while tuning, it's a necessary, if unfortunate, step that needs to be taken. You're here. You need to be there. Only way to get there is to go through.

Dude, it will all be fine. It's not like you were planning to tow down there with the Outback. Bet that would be exciting! I'd be happy to trade you for texting maybe-kinda-sorta-trying-to-sell-a-car-but-maybe-not-type Craigslist people.

John V 03-30-2019 09:52 PM

Holy shit.

402hp at the wheels. 370lb ft peak torque... Detuned.

What have I done

clyde 03-30-2019 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 547324)
Holy shit.

402hp at the wheels. 370lb ft peak torque... Detuned.

What have I done

Isn't that about what you were targeting?

John V 03-30-2019 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 547325)
Isn't that about what you were targeting?

Yeah but I didn't think it would be so easy to get there on the dyno

JST 03-31-2019 12:06 AM

That’s a lot of power. What’s the torque curve look like?

rumatt 03-31-2019 12:07 AM

Awesome.

+1 on the torque curve. Let's see it?

Nick M3 03-31-2019 07:01 AM

Detuned from what?

equ 03-31-2019 07:41 AM

Nice, I kept wondering what the numbers were.. That's awesome.