carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Jeep Unlimited (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=153545)

Alan 09-04-2018 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 536631)
I really doubt that an 18-year old driving him/herself is safer than taking a Lyft/uber.

And your daughter is 18. She's going to make some really, really bad decisions. I know I did, and I'm pretty sure that you did too. Between teenage judgement, peer pressure, Florida (so I pretty much assume it's a party school - and my Dad graduated from FSU and my grandfather was a professor there, so don't think that I have something against Florida schools), I can pretty much guarantee that she's going to get in to stupid shit.

Before I respond to this I'm just curious ... do you have kids ?

robg 09-06-2018 12:57 PM

For 325 a month you could probably even lease a lower spec BMW (320) or Audi sedan (A4 ultra maybe) with 0 down. Try and find an ex dealer demo for the best deal. Unless she has her heart set on the Jeep, I think there are much better options from a safety/fuel economy/drivability perspective.

Alan 09-06-2018 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 536776)
For 325 a month you could probably even lease a lower spec BMW (320) or Audi sedan (A4 ultra maybe) with 0 down. Try and find an ex dealer demo for the best deal. Unless she has her heart set on the Jeep, I think there are much better options from a safety/fuel economy/drivability perspective.

Thanks for the suggestions, greatly appreciated :thumbup: ... the Jeep is out, I checked the safety ratings and am not comfortable having one of my kids driving it on Florida's highways where the speed limits can be up to 70 mph.

I am now checking the Hyundai Tucson & Kia Sportage which both had good safety ratings and am just waiting to hear back from both dealers.

robg 09-06-2018 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 536802)
Thanks for the suggestions, greatly appreciated :thumbup: ... the Jeep is out, I checked the safety ratings and am not comfortable having one of my kids driving it on Florida's highways where the speed limits can be up to 70 mph.

I am now checking the Hyundai Tucson & Kia Sportage which both had good safety ratings and am just waiting to hear back from both dealers.

Cool- also check out Volvo S90 leases. Heres a thread from leasehackr back in June to get an idea for what's possible:
https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/june-...8/48251?page=4

Alan 09-07-2018 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 536810)
Cool- also check out Volvo S90 leases. Heres a thread from leasehackr back in June to get an idea for what's possible:
https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/june-...8/48251?page=4

Thanks for the link I’m going to check it out !!

Alan 09-10-2018 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 536557)
Does the Amtrak car train from NYC to Florida still exist?

Edit: Runs from Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL, wherever that is. https://www.amtrak.com/auto-train

Thanks for this idea, I really appreciate it, I booked it today since we’re going down for family weekend in a couple of weeks. My wife and daughter will fly down and if I can convince my son we will make the drive together and cancel our flights.

My thoughts are I got this car for my daughter and having it sit in our driveway is ridiculous. I drove it today and it just hit 3,000 Miles ... this car needs to be driven. I decided to have the windows tinted and what happens on campus happens ...

Thanks again ... I would have never thought of this option.

Josh (PA) 09-10-2018 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 537048)
Thanks for this idea, I really appreciate it, I booked it today since we’re going down for family weekend in a couple of weeks. My wife and daughter will fly down and if I can convince my son we will make the drive together and cancel our flights.

My thoughts are I got this car for my daughter and having it sit in our driveway is ridiculous. I drove it today and it just hit 3,000 Miles ... this car needs to be driven. I decided to have the windows tinted and what happens on campus happens ...

This sounds like the right outcome if you want her to have a car down there. Glad it worked out. Should be an experience for you and your son too.

wdc330i 09-10-2018 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 537048)

Cool. Definitely share your experience with us!

rumatt 09-10-2018 04:47 PM

Do you have to be on the train? How long is that train ride?

I might prefer to drive than sit on a train. :dunno:

equ 09-10-2018 09:07 PM

Great choice. I honestly think it'll end up being cheaper to have an a4 on campus rather than an a4 on LI and the Jeep on campus. Like stuff doesn't happen to Jeeps? :eeps:

One of my JGC headlights is more than $1000.

Alan 09-11-2018 04:39 AM

Matt, we need to be at the train by 2 pm and it arrives the next day at 9am and then it’s a 1 1/2 hr drive to the school. Not too bad plus they serve a nice dinner on the train and we will have our own room so it should be ok ... I haven’t done this in over 20 years so we will see how it is.

Equ .... something tells me something happened to your Jeep ::toetap:

Wdc ... thanks again and yes i’ll take some pics, it’s been a LONG time since I took a road trip longer then 2 hours

Josh ... yes definitely want her to have a car, we talk pretty much every day and this school is kind of a mellow small school with very little going on (only 1000 more kids then our high school ) she likes her trips to Starbucks and target and she is excited to have her car down there. I know you have your daughters too, this will give a little more freedom plus she doesn’t have to rely on other people for rides.

clyde 09-11-2018 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 537083)
Matt, we need to be at the train by 2 pm and it arrives the next day at 9am and then it’s a 1 1/2 hr drive to the school. Not too bad plus they serve a nice dinner on the train and we will have our own room so it should be ok ... I haven’t done this in over 20 years so we will see how it is.

We took it the first time we went to Disney World in 2007. We also got a room. My wife loved it and would do it again in a heartbeat even if it was just to ride down there and back. I was...glad we did it...and don't have to do it again. Our kids loved it, but were five and three at the time

A sit down dinner and breakfast on a train is always nice. A little weird, but nice. Makes you feel like you're in a movie.

I'll be interested in hearing what you think of it after.

equ 09-11-2018 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 537083)
Equ .... something tells me something happened to your Jeep ::toetap:

Yeah, I got clipped in the front. My second accident ever (got rear ended ten years ago). Ugh, I had it up for sale too...

wdc330i 09-11-2018 08:11 PM

I’d definitely suggest packing some good booze and snacks.

Alan 09-26-2018 04:08 PM

ttt so I can post some pics from Tapatalk

Alan 09-26-2018 04:16 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...fa3b2f59cc.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4527a2bfe6.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...223fdae34b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan 09-26-2018 04:18 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3bac69fb02.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e1e809911b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a4a826526e.jpg

Alan 09-26-2018 04:25 PM

It ended up much nicer than I thought, my sleeper room is really private and the train is really clean. I read reviews and they weren’t too great but they were wrong IMO, my room is clean, my AC is working amazing and I have pillows.

Btw this is all thing people complained about.

Plus the drive wasn’t bad, I left yesterday and got 4 hours in, stayed in a nice clean holiday inn and drove 1 hour to the train this morning plus got about 33 -35mpg. That A4 is a great car plus was loving the Waze on the factory screen though I did have an issue when I went to a rest stop and then when taking the rest of the trip last night the apple play would not come back on ... yeah frustrating I had to use the factory Nav for the last 1 hour of the trip.

I never used it in the A4 before though I learned it pretty quickly.

equ 09-26-2018 11:03 PM

It's hard to believe that's a US train, I forgot what this thread started with and I thought the pics are from Europe somewhere. Good to know...

Best thing about a long train trip is to curl up with a couple of good books that you never had the time for.

clyde 09-26-2018 11:15 PM

Looks just like I remember from 2007.

Went looking for pics and it appears I didn't take any that really showed what the room looked like. SMH

wdc330i 09-27-2018 07:31 AM

Fun! And I agree with Equ about the book reading time.

Alan 09-27-2018 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 538191)
Looks just like I remember from 2007.

Went looking for pics and it appears I didn't take any that really showed what the room looked like. SMH

I did this trip too back in the 90’s with at that time my newly wed wife, it was so memorable because we took my dads new NSX from his house in NY to his house in Florida ...

That was back when we were in our 20’s ... I’m not sure how I feel about this past trip, it was cool but sleeping on that rocky train kinda sucked and I was really glad when we finally hit the station which was 2 hours late being a train in front of us hit a car and we had to have a 2 hour delay waiting for the clean up.

They described it as a minor accident so thank god nothing tragic.

rumatt 09-27-2018 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 538157)

Looks like you're at an autocross.

And that A4 looks huge! Beautiful car... but man have they grown.

Alan 09-28-2018 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 538274)
Looks like you're at an autocross.

And that A4 looks huge! Beautiful car... but man have they grown.

yeah not as big as my A6 but not too far off ... honestly when I go to my car if its dark and I can't tell the color difference (gray vs black) I can walk up to either car and think its my A6 ...

kognito 09-29-2018 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 538373)
yeah not as big as my A6 but not too far off ... honestly when I go to my car if its dark and I can't tell the color difference (gray vs black) I can walk up to either car and think its my A6 ...

My A6 was a 1999. . . when I walk up to a 1999 A6 now, I can't believe how small it seems

Alan 09-29-2018 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kognito (Post 538405)
My A6 was a 1999. . . when I walk up to a 1999 A6 now, I can't believe how small it seems

I know ... isn't it crazy ... all cars have grown, just look at the Nissan Altima, there is no reason for getting a Maxima ...

lemming 10-03-2018 02:33 PM

New JL is a noticeable improvement. Yes.

Alan 09-27-2019 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 53704)
. I drove it today and it just hit 3,000 Miles ... this car needs to be driven.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 538157)

Just checked out this thread and it’s a year later, this car is now in upstate NY and will be going back to Audi in January or February ... kinda crazy because it’s up to only 8,000 miles ... whoever gets this car after is one lucky person ... if only I could convince my daughter we should keep it though she wants the Q5 so we will see what happens :dunno:

robg 09-27-2019 07:31 PM

Good that she didn't get the Jeep in retrospect
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/j...investigation/

ff 09-27-2019 07:52 PM

Is your daughter back at FL Southern? If so, how does she like it? My youngest did their lacrosse camp this summer and she loved it. Coach Reber runs a very good women lacrosse program, and so it's on my daughter's early list of colleges that she'll be looking at.

John V 09-29-2019 12:49 PM

Wait, she had this thing for less than two years and hardly drove it and you're getting her another car?

kognito 09-29-2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 552344)
Just checked out this thread and it’s a year later, this car is now in upstate NY and will be going back to Audi in January or February ... kinda crazy because it’s up to only 8,000 miles ... whoever gets this car after is one lucky person ... if only I could convince my daughter we should keep it though she wants the Q5 so we will see what happens :dunno:

You need to do some math on your A6. Look at what your residual is, and what low mileage A6's go for in your area.

You might be able to make a quick couple of grand or more.

I still have a few months on my GMC 1500 lease, but it too is low miles. Right now similar equipped GMC's are selling for 35K (with my mileage) and my residual is only 25K My data will change with a new model year, but I'm still keeping a close eye on it.

Alan 09-30-2019 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 552382)
Wait, she had this thing for less than two years and hardly drove it and you're getting her another car?

No this is an old thread from last year ... I just got nostalgic and was looking at the pictures from last year and decided to post a quick update.

Luckily I didn’t get her the Jeep because she ended up not liking Florida and is now going to a school in upstate NY.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kognito (Post 552383)
You need to do some math on your A6. Look at what your residual is, and what low mileage A6's go for in your area.

You might be able to make a quick couple of grand or more.

I still have a few months on my GMC 1500 lease, but it too is low miles. Right now similar equipped GMC's are selling for 35K (with my mileage) and my residual is only 25K My data will change with a new model year, but I'm still keeping a close eye on it.

You might do really well if you buy it out and resell it or maybe just keep it being the buy out is so reasonable and your miles are low.

In regards to our car it is a 2018 A4 though all Audi’s look the same so I get mistaking it for the A6 :D I used to do the same when I had the A6 and in the morning I would try to get in my car and it was the wrong Audi.

It was only a 2 year lease and I think the buyout is $32k which isn’t bad considering the car had an msrp close to $50k. Meanwhile she wants an SUV so most likely i’ll just give it back and will get the Q5.

Alan 09-30-2019 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ff (Post 552346)
Is your daughter back at FL Southern? If so, how does she like it? My youngest did their lacrosse camp this summer and she loved it. Coach Reber runs a very good women lacrosse program, and so it's on my daughter's early list of colleges that she'll be looking at.

It was a nice school but she just didn’t feel comfortable there, it was also a very quiet mellow school which is a nice thing but the vibe is very different then NY, the price btw was really good but like I had mentioned above she now goes to a SUNY school in upstate NY and is really happy there. I think it might be just being far from home and having to take flights back and forth also added to it. Now it’s just hop in your car and drive home plus she is with a lot of Long Islanders now so it makes her feel more at home.

ff 09-30-2019 04:47 PM

Glad that she found a school she feels comfortable at. That's very important :cool:

wdc330i 09-30-2019 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 552394)
It was a nice school but she just didn’t feel comfortable there, it was also a very quiet mellow school which is a nice thing but the vibe is very different then NY, the price btw was really good but like I had mentioned above she now goes to a SUNY school in upstate NY and is really happy there. I think it might be just being far from home and having to take flights back and forth also added to it. Now it’s just hop in your car and drive home plus she is with a lot of Long Islanders now so it makes her feel more at home.

New Paltz?

Alan 10-01-2019 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ff (Post 552412)
Glad that she found a school she feels comfortable at. That's very important :cool:

Thanks ... we are happy for her.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 552415)
New Paltz?

She goes to Cortland.