carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Technical Superiority (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   rumatt's E46 (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=133156)

bren 04-07-2017 08:27 AM

I thought the trick was to buy the shift lever from one of the diesel models, is that the same thing? Or am I not remembering that right?

John V 04-07-2017 08:46 AM

Yes.

John V 04-07-2017 09:06 AM

For 5-speed cars a nice option is the E60 545i lever. That's what I have in the DSP car, with a weighted 5-speed "ZHP" knob. It's excellent, especially paired with a UUC DSSR and ECS tuning delrin carrier bushings.

Since Matt has a 6-speed, a ZHP shift lever, knob and Delrin carrier bushings will be a really nice setup. It lowers the lever height about an inch and also moves the pivot to give a slightly shorter shift throw. I know Nick hates the ZHP knob but I think he's the only person in the BMW world that does. :lol:

Plaz 04-07-2017 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 500923)
Yes.

:eek: :lol:

So awesome that you had taken video of that!

JST 04-07-2017 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 500928)
For 5-speed cars a nice option is the E60 545i lever. That's what I have in the DSP car, with a weighted 5-speed "ZHP" knob. It's excellent, especially paired with a UUC DSSR and ECS tuning delrin carrier bushings.

Since Matt has a 6-speed, a ZHP shift lever, knob and Delrin carrier bushings will be a really nice setup. It lowers the lever height about an inch and also moves the pivot to give a slightly shorter shift throw. I know Nick hates the ZHP knob but I think he's the only person in the BMW world that does. :lol:

Ha ha, yes. I am sure I mentioned taking a ZHP knob with me in my carryon when I went to Detroit to get my wagon, and swapping it in the dealer parking lot. They already thought I was nuts but that confirmed it.

rumatt 04-07-2017 01:29 PM

That's a good amount longer. Sweet!

Nick M3 04-07-2017 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 500928)

I don't know why anyone wants to move the shifter further away from the steering wheel. No thanks.

John V 04-07-2017 02:38 PM

Because the taller shifters are less precise. Too much leverage and too vague of a feel. I used to have this one and was always missing third gear. The ZHP setup in there now works a lot better.

Nick M3 04-07-2017 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 500994)
Because the taller shifters are less precise. Too much leverage and too vague of a feel. I used to have this one and was always missing third gear. The ZHP setup in there now works a lot better.

The race shifters are tall with a short throw. Short throw is the problem, not the height.

John V 04-07-2017 04:26 PM

Have you tried the AKG? It's not a short throw.