carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   I bought a pony car missing half the bangers (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=145613)

ff 04-12-2018 08:25 AM

Looks great, clyde!

Plaz 04-12-2018 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ff (Post 527418)
Looks great, clyde!

:+1

kognito 04-12-2018 09:16 AM

Very nice! washed up and ready to be a tree pollen magnet!

rumatt 04-12-2018 09:57 AM

Nice!

That color is actually fairly similar to my truck - Slate Metallic. Mine has a green tint during the day but looks very dark / black at night.

Alan 04-12-2018 10:31 AM

Looks good are these track only wheels or everyday use ?

How is the weight of them compared to the OEM ?

John V 04-12-2018 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy (Post 527390)
Atoms were regularly snapping hubs and driveshafts even though they were off the Cobalt SS which was a much heavier car.

The stresses put on hubs and halfshafts has more to do with just the weight of the vehicle.

Given the other, uh, "interesting" engineering done on the Atom, it would not surprise me at all that parts taken from another car would have reliability problems when installed in an Atom.

clyde 04-15-2018 06:23 PM

Drove it in anger for the first time today at a test & tune. RWD is so much better than wrong wheel drive. Boosty turbo is boosty. Slow steering (compared to cars like Focus STs and C4 Vettes) is slow. Does what you want, pretty much right now!

Unfortunately, the weather was only mildly cooperative, so we didn't get as many runs as we would have liked, or get them the way we would have liked them, but it was a decent shakedown for a brand new car.

I still need to post my first impressions.

John V 04-15-2018 06:31 PM

Turbo lag didn't bother you? It seemed crazy laggy to me

rumatt 04-15-2018 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 527707)
Does what you want, pretty much right now!

I didn't get this part, particularly since it followed "boosty" and "slow steering" .

clyde 04-15-2018 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 527708)
Turbo lag didn't bother you? It seemed crazy laggy to me

Didn't say it didn't bother me, but I also don't think it will hard to live with. Of course, the turns on today's course were far from a worst case scenario, too. It gives me some mild annoyance on the street. Give me a couple regular events to see what I really think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 527709)
I didn't get this part, particularly since it followed "boosty" and "slow steering" .

Turn in was really sharp and responsive with good feedback. I spent the past 3 years in the FoST unlearning shuffle steering and not moving my hands on the wheel. In the Camaro, I'd get so far into a turn, find my arms fully crossed and locked while needing another 1/8-1/4 turn of the wheel. Codriver that's been driving an E30 forever (and a recent year in an E46) didn't even notice.

The other thing to keep in mind is that I really, really want to like the car and will probably intentionally overlook anything negative I can for a while.

But I had a good time and am happy enough with the car as it was that it was all good. :)