PDA

View Full Version : Can I perseverate about bikes in here?

John V
05-02-2007, 09:45 AM
If not, too late. :D

I'm considering selling my Suzuki SV1000S. It's been a great bike - super reliable, great mileage, amazing sound and ungodly power. But it has a couple shortfalls that I've been trying to address and for the most part I've failed.

1) My back hurts quite a bit on rides longer than an hour or two. I installed Heli-bars (higher, more pulled-back handlebars) which helped get me more upright, but it's still not great. I just ordered a set of lowered pegs as well and I think they'll help, but if they don't allow me to comfortably ride more than two hours I may have to give up.

2) The passenger accomodations pretty much suck. The pillion seat is way higher than the driver's seat (typical for sportbikes), it's hard, and it's angled forward quite a bit. There are no side grab rails. Marisa isn't comfortable up there for more than an hour. On my old machine we used to take multi-hour rides and I miss those times together, so this is important to me.

So my question is, if I do sell this bike, what do I buy? I've come up with three bikes on my own but am looking for more suggestions.

1) Honda VFR-800 FI Interceptor (pre-VTEC). A buddy has one of these and it's nearly perfect. It has fuel injection which is a big plus. It's ugly, which I can get over, and it would need suspension work, but nothing major. Maintenance is a bit rough on these machines (they have a V-4 engine) but the aftermarket is huge. Great passenger's seat, and I'm definitely comfortable riding it. Only bad part is the fuel-injected bikes without VTEC are getting old (1999-2001 only) and harder to find for reasonable money.

2) Yamaha FZ-1. The new model has some glitches and hasn't had the best reviews (namely regarding the handling and power delivery). The older ones have carbs, and I really am sick of cleaning carburetors every couple years which is necessary if you're finicky about how your machine runs. Great passenger's seat, though.

3) Triumph sprint ST. Again, it's ugly, but no big deal. And the passenger's seat looks like it wouldn't be better than the SV1000.

...? Any other suggestions from our motorcycle-riding members? Budget would be $7,000 tops.

JST
05-02-2007, 09:58 AM
If not, too late. :D

I'm considering selling my Suzuki SV1000S. It's been a great bike - super reliable, great mileage, amazing sound and ungodly power. But it has a couple shortfalls that I've been trying to address and for the most part I've failed.

1) My back hurts quite a bit on rides longer than an hour or two. I installed Heli-bars (higher, more pulled-back handlebars) which helped get me more upright, but it's still not great. I just ordered a set of lowered pegs as well and I think they'll help, but if they don't allow me to comfortably ride more than two hours I may have to give up.

2) The passenger accomodations pretty much suck. The pillion seat is way higher than the driver's seat (typical for sportbikes), it's hard, and it's angled forward quite a bit. There are no side grab rails. Marisa isn't comfortable up there for more than an hour. On my old machine we used to take multi-hour rides and I miss those times together, so this is important to me.

So my question is, if I do sell this bike, what do I buy? I've come up with three bikes on my own but am looking for more suggestions.

1) Honda VFR-800 FI Interceptor (pre-VTEC). A buddy has one of these and it's nearly perfect. It has fuel injection which is a big plus. It's ugly, which I can get over, and it would need suspension work, but nothing major. Maintenance is a bit rough on these machines (they have a V-4 engine) but the aftermarket is huge. Great passenger's seat, and I'm definitely comfortable riding it. Only bad part is the fuel-injected bikes without VTEC are getting old (1999-2001 only) and harder to find for reasonable money.

2) Yamaha FZ-1. The new model has some glitches and hasn't had the best reviews (namely regarding the handling and power delivery). The older ones have carbs, and I really am sick of cleaning carburetors every couple years which is necessary if you're finicky about how your machine runs. Great passenger's seat, though.

3) Triumph sprint ST. Again, it's ugly, but no big deal. And the passenger's seat looks like it wouldn't be better than the SV1000.

...? Any other suggestions from our motorcycle-riding members? Budget would be $7,000 tops.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/65/Honda.valkyrie.flames.arp.750pix.jpg

Actually, this is even better. Plus, you get two free t-shirts.

http://www.v8bikes.com/Specs.htm

Optimus Prime
05-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Those are all capable machines, so it may come down to pillion accommodations. The FZ1 is a rocket ship, and the Triumph has more character, but the Honda may be a better "all-around" bike. I'm really not sure you could go wrong with any of them. You way want to give a used BMW a look. A used R1100S or R1150R with a sargent cycle seat would give better seating and ergonomics then any of your above choices.

dredmo
05-02-2007, 10:06 AM
I am biased, and it appears you're not interested in this but... http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2005models/2005-Suzuki-Boulevard-C50-Black.jpg

I bought mine for just under 7K out the door new. Only time the bike needs *more* is when I'm trying to surpass 80.

John V
05-02-2007, 10:10 AM
No cruisers. I've tried many of them, and I just can't stand them in the twisties.

I'll start doing research on the BMW bikes. I always assumed they were out of my price range.

bren
05-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Wait, you can get VTEC on a motorcycle? I don't know why that surprises me....

Sounds like you're getting old. Time for that cruiser.

rautox
05-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Why no vtec?

John V
05-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Why no vtec?

Don't like the feel of the VTEC engines and the maintenance is worse. The reliability of the non VTEC bikes is better. The VTEC doesn't really buy you anything in terms of rideability or power, so it seems like unnecessary stuff to me.

rautox
05-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Don't like the feel of the VTEC engines and the maintenance is worse. The reliability of the non VTEC bikes is better. The VTEC doesn't really buy you anything in terms of rideability or power, so it seems like unnecessary stuff to me.
Good reasons.

Given your reqs, I was surprised you had kept to such relatively similar bikes. Until I saw your list, I was thinking r1100rt, but it's probably much porkier than what you were considering. And, they don't rev.

FWIW, my r1100r wasn't super comfy for passengers. Cushy compared to your current bike, but not hours worth of comfortable.

From your list, if you can find a vfr that is both pampered, and not wildly overpriced, something I wouldn't find but perhaps you would ;), I'd lean that way. And your advice to me a while back about carbs was excellent.

John V
05-02-2007, 10:32 AM
Everytime I ride my buddy's VFR I come away wanting one. Great shifter, great seat, great ergonomics. Then I get back on the SV, twist the throttle, and get intoxicated on the torque and sound.

They are extremely hard to find, mostly because people don't ever want to sell them.

Ideally... I'd have both?

Optimus Prime
05-02-2007, 10:53 AM
http://longisland.craigslist.org/mcy/321849695.html
http://www.ibmwr.org/market/adlist.php?cat=obs

rautox
05-02-2007, 11:04 AM
Both is the path to "collector." Just get the rs250 now and get it over with ;)

Thinking of quality time two-up, ST1300? There's one of these in our parking lot fairly regularly, and it is surprisingly svelte-looking. Again, porkier (about the same as the bmw's), but more attainable?

Optimus Prime
05-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Both is the path to "collector." Just get the rs250 now and get it over with ;)

Thinking of quality time two-up, ST1300? There's one of these in our parking lot fairly regularly, and it is surprisingly svelte-looking. Again, porkier (about the same as the bmw's), but more attainable?

The ST1300 is way heavier than either the R1100S or R1150R. I think it's even heavier than the pig R1150RT. If you're looking to gobble up highway miles, then the ST1300 is a good idea. I just inferred from the list of bikes, that a sporty side was required.

rautox
05-02-2007, 11:19 AM
Me too. I was just throwing crap at John and seeing what would stick :)

That said, my r1100r always reminded me of the compromise it was. I wouldn't buy another. :dunno:

bren
05-02-2007, 11:25 AM
...interesting color scheme.

http://www.intproducts.com/bmw/uwesrockster.jpg

rautox
05-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Those didn't look that good in person.

Optimus Prime
05-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Errr, I edited this post and it showed up as a whole new post below......

Optimus Prime
05-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Me too. I was just throwing crap at John and seeing what would stick :)

That said, my r1100r always reminded me of the compromise it was. I wouldn't buy another. :dunno:

I dunno, I've regretted selling my R1150R. I could chew up 700 miles one day, and the next run down most anything in the "twisties" around here. I also thought it was one of the nicest looking bikes out there. Perhaps there was a big upgrade from the 1100 to the 1150. Or it's just two differing opinions. :dunno:

rautox
05-02-2007, 11:46 AM
I dunno, I've regretted selling my R1150R. I could chew up 700 miles one day, and the next run down most anything in the "twisties" around here. Perhaps there was a big upgrade from the 1100 to the 1150. :dunno:

Could be. I always either wanted the feeling to come back to my ass, or 150lbs less bike, a me's-worth.

Melissa
05-02-2007, 12:21 PM
You way want to give a used BMW a look. A used R1100S or R1150R with a sargent cycle seat would give better seating and ergonomics then any of your above choices.
:yes: :yes: :yes: We have a 95 or 96 R1100RS that we got used, in addition to a Ducati 900SS/SP. My husband has always commented that the riding position is very comfortable. I've spent many many hours on the back of it and as a passenger, I'm very impressed. You really should consider BMW.

Melissa
05-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Here are pics of my husband's bikes. The Duc on the left is his.

dredmo
05-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Just to re-enter a new opinion... (and I have read what you said)...

If I was dead set on a new bike, and a cruiser was not an option. I may flex my budget and get an R1. Then again, I would never push it to the limits of its capabilities and a different model would make more sense but... damn - an R1 in the garage.... whew

bren
05-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Is this what you are talking about? Doesn't look like it could be very comfortable to me (but I know nothing so....)

http://www.motorland.ru/moto/3mc2005/img/2204/r1.jpg

dredmo
05-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Yes, it is a beast and I was more or less joking. That's the meanest dog in the yard right now stock.

Optimus Prime
05-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Yes, it is a beast and I was more or less joking. That's the meanest dog in the yard right now stock.

The FZ1 is derived from the R1, is prolly more comfortable, and offers nearly the same bat-shit crazy performance you'll never be stupid enough to use...

dredmo
05-02-2007, 06:47 PM
The FZ1 is derived from the R1, is prolly more comfortable, and offers nearly the same bat-shit crazy performance you'll never be stupid enough to use...

:cool::cool:

Glad I have an 820 is all I'll say. I'm stupid walking, I don't need a bat-shit crazy bike as well. :lol: but yeah, you make good points - an much more reasonable for what John is looking at.

3LOU5
05-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Here are pics of my husband's bikes. The Duc on the left is his.

Oooh......a Ducati Supersport.

One of my all-time favorites is a Ducati 750 SS:

http://www.moto-deal.com/encyclopedie-moto/galleries/ducati/Ducati-750SS-1996.jpg

(Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my chin..........) :lol:

John V
05-08-2007, 11:13 AM
I'm partway to acheiving my goals. I reworked the front forks this past weekend - went to a linear rate Racetech spring, changed the fork oil (heavier, but less of it) and removed all but 20mm of preload from the front suspension. Without even dialing in the damping or sag, the bike is MUCH more comfortable. It doesn't chatter over midcorner bumps but more importantly, it is significantly less harsh over the usual road chop. For a $100 outlay, I'm shocked at how much better it is.

I also got my footpeg brackets in the mail last night and I mocked up the riding position I'll get with them installed - should be much nicer... when I find time to install them.

Corbin sells a pair of replacement seat pads which supposedly help passenger comfort a bunch. They're pricey, but they could be well worth the investment. Better would be finding a set used... <shifty>

Melissa
05-08-2007, 11:26 AM
Corbin sells a pair of replacement seat pads which supposedly help passenger comfort a bunch. They're pricey, but they could be well worth the investment. Better would be finding a set used... <shifty>

Corbin seats are the way to go. Jake replaced the stock seat on his Duc with Corbin and it made a huge difference.

Optimus Prime
05-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Corbin seats are the way to go. Jake replaced the stock seat on his Duc with Corbin and it made a huge difference.

I've heard about 50-50 on corbin. Some people have very bad experience, some seem to have no problems at all. Also, corbin's tend to be heavier than stock. I've never used them myself, so this is all second hand from ridding buddies.

I personally prefer Sargent Cycle Seats.

rumatt
05-08-2007, 09:06 PM
Real bikes don't have engines. :mad2:

John V
05-15-2007, 08:38 AM
Installed the new footpeg brackets this weekend. What a difference. I'm able to sit more upright, taking strain off my lower back and wrists, and with the extra legroom I'm not getting any more pain in my (twice 'scoped) right knee anymore. The bike gets to stay.

Now, off to find a more comfy passenger's seat. Marisa sat on a new FZ-1 at the dealer while we were picking up oil filters, and she really liked it. :ack: