PDA

View Full Version : clay bar

Jeff_DML
10-31-2014, 04:37 PM
Waxed my cars numerous times but have never clay barred it. I want to try it out on my m3. Any tips/brands/something to watch out for? Griot garage the best stuff to use?

how to wise a quick google popped up this

http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/Clay-Bar/

bren
10-31-2014, 04:50 PM
Clay bars are awesome.

I only have experience with Griot's and 'speed shine' but it's not really difficult or anything. Be careful not to go over dry paint or to leave chunks in panel gaps or plastic edges.

Jeff_DML
10-31-2014, 04:53 PM
thanks

Josh (PA)
10-31-2014, 05:42 PM
I still use Zaino stuff religiously. Tricks are keep it soapy, keep folding it over and pick out any dirt buggers you see, don't do it in the sun/on a hot car (the bar softens and leaves residue). Wash well with dawn before you do it and wash a couple of times after claying before waxing to get any residue off before trapping it in the wax.

IndyMike
11-01-2014, 09:33 AM
Any tips/brands/something to watch out for?Tips.............biggest one is don't drop it like it's hot. :)..............if you do just chuck it.

Clay bars are awesome.

I only have experience with Griot's and 'speed shine' but it's not really difficult or anything. Be careful not to go over dry paint or to leave chunks in panel gaps or plastic edges.Yeah, I use Griot's as well. I tried some bargain basement blue colored bar once and it was rubbish....................and agree that keeping it well lubricated is important. I klay bar each vehicle once a year (spring), then along with a couple of coats of good sealant and one coat of carnauba wax over the top of it I'm good to go until the next spring on both the coupe and sportwagon, while on the DD VW I have to reapply the sealant and wax again in the fall.

Jeff_DML
11-06-2014, 12:11 PM
Clay bars are awesome.

I only have experience with Griot's and 'speed shine' but it's not really difficult or anything. Be careful not to go over dry paint or to leave chunks in panel gaps or plastic edges.

this?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=11865&SEName=griots-garage-paint-cleaning-clay-8-oz

I take it I need the speed shine stuff too? Do you know if all clays need stuff like that or just griot?

bren
11-06-2014, 12:40 PM
That looks like it - and yes, you'll need some sort of slippery lube stuff. :)

Theo
11-06-2014, 01:18 PM
I use the Griot's 'speed shine' after every wash. It helps cut down on any existing swirl marks and adds an extra layer of shine and that slippery feeling. Love the stuff.

Jeff_DML
11-06-2014, 01:45 PM
thanks guys

lupinsea
11-06-2014, 01:57 PM
Clay bars are awesome.

Clay bar = brazilian for your car.

I've used Griot's clay bar and I've used off the shelf auto parts store version (Mequires?) They were about the same in my experience. Last time I did it I got a "kit" at the autoparts store that had two small clay bars (separately packaged), the "speed shine" lube-type stuff, and a separate bottle of wax.

It is amazing how much smoother the paint is after the clay bar treatment. Wash the car thoroughly first, though.

Theo
11-06-2014, 03:22 PM
I actually just did a detail last weekend. Love that "Smooth as a babies butt" feel in the paint. Now I cant go to the car wash for a few months as I dont want the power washers to remove all the good work.

Jeff_DML
12-23-2014, 08:37 PM
Stopped raining in SoCal and had some time off so finally got around to claybar my car.

A lot of work and time, not sure if I am a lupinsea ;)

1. washed car
2. clayed car
3. rinsed car
4. waxed car.
5. removed wax.

All by hand, guess if I had a orbital the waxing would of been easier. Used all griot stuff and their best of show wax was hard to get off.

Sun was setting when I took these pics so not the best quality. I am happy with the results.

Jeff_DML
12-23-2014, 08:38 PM
last set of pics

There is some embedded brake dust in the rims that the griot rim cleaner did not remove. Need to look into how to remove.

Alan
12-23-2014, 09:47 PM
Jeff that car is gorgeous plus you did an incredible job !!

All i can say is WOW !!! Beautiful !!

Jeff_DML
12-23-2014, 10:05 PM
Jeff that car is gorgeous plus you did an incredible job !!

All i can say is WOW !!! Beautiful !!

thanks. My back is feeling it though:D.

I am very impressed with the condition of it for a 15+ year old car. I don't think it would be in such good condition if I owned it the whole time.

Plaz
12-23-2014, 10:30 PM
Nice job. I just don't have the stamina for that any more. Especially that last step, going through all the cracks and gaps and removing residue after all the other work. Knees and wrists and knuckles start aching.

I can barely get myself to clean my own wheels. Then again, on the east coast the return on investment just doesn't last as long. A nice detailing like yours reaps rewards for months out there!

SARAFIL
12-23-2014, 11:00 PM
Looks beautiful!

Jeff_DML
12-23-2014, 11:01 PM
Nice job. I just don't have the stamina for that any more. Especially that last step, going through all the cracks and gaps and removing residue after all the other work. Knees and wrists and knuckles start aching.

I can barely get myself to clean my own wheels. Then again, on the east coast the return on investment just doesn't last as long. A nice detailing like yours reaps rewards for months out there!

yeah I might pay a pro to do it next time :eeps:

Yes especially since I work from home so do not have a commute. The only problem is I end up using my wifes SUV instead to keep it clean, minimize kid destruction and door dings.:irate:

IndyMike
12-24-2014, 07:48 AM
Looks super Jeff! I'm impressed that you did it all by hand. :)

If you don't mind a little positive criticism you just need to buff the trunk a lit little longer or harder to get that dent out.........might take a Porter Cable to do that though. :D

I take it you haven't decided what to do about that little imperfection yet?

Out of curiosity what brand and size tires are you currently running?

zach
12-24-2014, 08:11 AM
last set of pics

There is some embedded brake dust in the rims that the griot rim cleaner did not remove. Need to look into how to remove.

Looks great. Good luck with the unremovable brake dust and let me know if you figure it out. I've been fighting it for years on my e36.

Josh (PA)
12-24-2014, 08:58 AM
Looks really nice. Estoril is a great color. If you figure out how to address the baked in brake dust, please post it. I have that problem on my 1 and would like a solution.

Jeff_DML
12-24-2014, 10:21 AM
Looks super Jeff! I'm impressed that you did it all by hand. :)

If you don't mind a little positive criticism you just need to buff the trunk a lit little longer or harder to get that dent out.........might take a Porter Cable to do that though. :D

I take it you haven't decided what to do about that little imperfection yet?

Out of curiosity what brand and size tires are you currently running?

Actually I took it to the dent guy. No miracles but he got the big easy one out and I am OK with it, og pics here

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=98105

Tires are pilot sports a/S, previous owner was from Pacific Northwest. Stock size I think, 235 and 265. Planning to do a track event in the spring which will probably burn them up.

I was hoping you guys would tell me how to get rid of the brake dust:D

bren
12-24-2014, 10:35 AM
Try this stuff and let me know how it works. :)

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2267_67500716

clyde
12-24-2014, 11:24 AM

I'll be trying that stuff shortly. Wonger's constant posts on FB plus a great deal of Black Friday at detailersdomain.com got me. Of course, I should have just taken a wheel over to his place since he's only about two minutes down the street.

Jeff_DML
12-24-2014, 11:50 AM

I was trying to be in denial but glancing at the brake dust it seemed like it had melted into the clear coat. I plan to take off the wheels and give it a thorough cleaning. I wouldn't mind a square ltw setup though :cool:

kognito
12-24-2014, 12:03 PM
Jeff, did you do the dent repair? and if so, how did it turn out?

IndyMike
12-24-2014, 01:36 PM
Actually I took it to the dent guy. No miracles but he got the big easy one out and I am OK with it, og pics here

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=98105
Well I would say whomever it was that performed did a great job compared to how it originally looked.

I was trying to be in denial but glancing at the brake dust it seemed like it had melted into the clear coat. I plan to take off the wheels and give it a thorough cleaning. I wouldn't mind a square ltw setup though :cool:Yep, I would be looking at getting a set of the lightweight 'MOTORSPORT' stamped alloys myself. The M Contours are tolerable, but not as cool looking imo as the ltw's.

zach
12-24-2014, 03:51 PM
Ltw's ftw. :D

Jeff_DML
12-24-2014, 04:41 PM
Well I would say whomever it was that performed did a great job compared to how it originally looked.

Yep, I would be looking at getting a set of the lightweight 'MOTORSPORT' stamped alloys myself. The M Contours are tolerable, but not as cool looking imo as the ltw's.

Thanks

For some odd reason since I hate chrome but I actually prefer the polished non-stamped ltw's

IndyMike
12-24-2014, 05:05 PM
Thanks

For some odd reason since I hate chrome but I actually prefer the polished non-stamped ltw's
So, is there an option for stamped vs. non-stamped with that being the only difference between the two?

Jeff_DML
12-24-2014, 05:13 PM
So, is there an option for stamped vs. non-stamped with that being the only difference between the two?

Yep plus the polished do not say motorsports on them, ie stamped

Nick M3
12-24-2014, 05:15 PM
Stamped are painted.

Nick M3
12-24-2014, 05:18 PM
For embedded brake dust, Sonax is good.

For really nasty stuff, muriatic acid is really, really effective. It saved my Superleggeras from the embedded PFC97 brake dust when I was ready to refinish them.

Before claying, I highly recommend spraying the car with Iron-X. It's basically Sonax for the car's paint but works better on the regular paint for whatever reason. (It's also safe to spray the paint with Sonax, but the Iron-X works better.

zach
12-24-2014, 05:25 PM
Mine may be too far gone. Assuming I keep the M3, I'll get the LTWs refinished when I get the car painted.

Nick M3
12-24-2014, 05:34 PM
Mine may be too far gone. Assuming I keep the M3, I'll get the LTWs refinished when I get the car painted.
If the finish is intact, muriatic acid is amazing. Rinse the hell out of them afterwards.

IndyMike
12-24-2014, 06:59 PM
Yep plus the polished do not say motorsports on them, ie stamped

Stamped are painted.
Ach so...............I never knew there were different variants of the same wheel. Thanks for the schooling...........I'm becoming more interested in both the E36 and E46 M3's again.

Edit: I just dragged out of my all-things-automotive file drawer M3 brochures from '95 and '97............in the '95 brochure it displays a pic of the stamped version and in the '97 the non-stamped. While I have them both open (just for kicks and grins) other differences were Daytona violet available in '95 and Techno-violet in '97, and Avus blue being replaced by Estoril and also the addition of Byzanz. Interior differences were black cloth in '95 being dropped at some point and Anthracite added........and in the leather category Champagne was discontinued at some point after '95 with Magma and Natur added (Black, Gray and Mulberry being holdovers).

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but with all of the experience here with E36 and E46 M's I might be commencing a separate thread to bring all of this institutional knowledge together for plebe's like me.

Jeff_DML
12-25-2014, 11:13 AM
Didn't think this was possible, uploaded from my phone. Note sleeping kid in the back.

Jeff_DML
02-20-2015, 05:22 PM
came back to my car after surfing this morning with a guy looking in the windows. A bit awkward at first but he then said he was amazed how clean it was. Second or third time this has happened, kind of cool for a ~10k car.

Josh (PA)
02-20-2015, 05:28 PM
came back to my car after surfing this morning with a guy looking in the windows. A bit awkward at first but he then said he was amazed how clean it was. Second or third time this has happened, kind of cool for a ~10k car.

SURFING!?!?!?

F-U it's 2 degrees here.

(well kept e36 M3s are great looking, Estoril is really sharp)

Jeff_DML
02-20-2015, 05:29 PM
SURFING!?!?!?

F-U it's 2 degrees here.

(well kept e36 M3s are great looking, Estoril is really sharp)

sorry but I surfed right here this morning

http://www.camzone.com/camzonedelmar

kognito
09-06-2020, 01:45 PM
Clay Bar still the best thing for dirty paint? For three years of leased ownership on my Sierra pick up I have only washed it.

I bought the truck at the end of lease, and tried some of this (https://mothers.com/products/cmx-surface-prep-01224) from Mother's

It worked ok, but not great. I only did 1/3 of the hood before stopping, and thinking that maybe clay would be best. The surface prep stuff did remove a lot of dirt, but not all. Maybe I was just expecting too much, as the truck has sat outside in the SC sun for three years

Nick M3
09-06-2020, 01:54 PM
Carpro Iron-X and then straight to compound on the polisher is my usual route, honestly. Clay is a lot of work on badly contaminated paint.

kognito
09-06-2020, 02:28 PM
I should have added, the cleaner I tried did remove a lot of the three year crud. It sprays on, wiped with one microfiber towel, finished off wiping with a second towel (as per the directions) The first towel really showed that a lot of dirt/crud was removed, but I could see a few oil spots that it did not completely remove. Something like this (https://www.amazon.com/WEN-6010-6-Inch-Waxer-Polisher/dp/B0000AXOHT/ref=asc_df_B0000AXOHT/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309869401414&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=263907683531542099&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010614&hvtargid=pla-436304076905&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=63364097444&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=309869401414&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=263907683531542099&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010614&hvtargid=pla-436304076905) is the only power buffer I have. I used it for RV's that have almost all flat surfaces. Autos I have always done by hand

Nick M3
09-06-2020, 02:34 PM
Iron-X is the best surface prep by a huge margin. It’s not worth using anything else. The value is in pulling out the iron contamination in the paint.

Claybars work. They just only clean. If the paint looks like crap and needs polishing, you end up doing an extra step for very little benefit.

kognito
09-08-2020, 08:18 AM
Nick, is the Iron X ok on plastic panels and trim pieces?

FC
09-08-2020, 08:23 AM
Iron-X is the best surface prep by a huge margin. It’s not worth using anything else. The value is in pulling out the iron contamination in the paint.

Claybars work. They just only clean. If the paint looks like crap and needs polishing, you end up doing an extra step for very little benefit.

Iron-X has been on my wish list for a while but I wasn't sure if it was worth buying yet another product. I ran into it when reading about wheel cleaners.

Nick M3
09-08-2020, 09:34 AM
IMO, it's not worth it for regular wheel cleaning. Too much cost for too little real benefit. But it's awesome as a part of paint prep.

Not, though, that it adds an extra wash and dry step to the process.

FC
09-08-2020, 09:41 AM
IMO, it's not worth it for regular wheel cleaning. Too much cost for too little real benefit. But it's awesome as a part of paint prep.

Not, though, that it adds an extra wash and dry step to the process.

That's exactly why I had not pulled the trigger. I felt it was too much money to use as a wheel cleaner. But I'm glad you trust it on the body paint. I'll give it a shot - at least behind the wheels and lower body panels to start, where there is most contamination.

Nick M3
09-08-2020, 09:44 AM
That's exactly why I had not pulled the trigger. I felt it was too much money to use as a wheel cleaner. But I'm glad you trust it on the body paint. I'll give it a shot - at least behind the wheels and lower body panels to start, where there is most contamination.
It's REALLY helpful on light colors cars. For obvious reasons, the difference isn't as visible on dark cars.

equ
09-08-2020, 10:21 AM
Does that have the same ingredient as BMW Wheel Cleaner (which is or is similar to Sonax)? Nasty smell, turns red etc..

I've always wondered if those wheel cleaners are causing some kind of anti-rust coating to come off the rotors and speeding up corrosion.

Nick M3
09-08-2020, 11:13 AM
Does that have the same ingredient as BMW Wheel Cleaner (which is or is similar to Sonax)? Nasty smell, turns red etc..

I've always wondered if those wheel cleaners are causing some kind of anti-rust coating to come off the rotors and speeding up corrosion.
Similar, but it works WAY better on paint.

And no, they don't speed up corrosion. However, when you remove the iron oxide sitting on a steel part, the bare steel is going to rust pretty quickly. Some people like to use Iron-X as a touch up paint prep.

Josh (PA)
09-08-2020, 11:59 AM
Nick, what polisher and pads do you recommend?

Nick M3
09-08-2020, 12:24 PM
The Porter Cable remains the easy, cheap, and user friendly (i.e won't tear up your paint when used clumsily) option.

Compounds:
CarPro ClearCut is amazing if your paint is basically fucked. I finished with Meguiar's M205, which is excellent and also what I had.

Pad wise, the Meguiar's microfiber cutting pad is a great combo with the ClearCut. I used a Lake Country (I think) green foam pad with the M205 to finish off.

I think that I posted some before / after pictures in the 911 thread.

Nick M3
09-08-2020, 12:26 PM
Aha. I lied. Pictures here:

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=159475&highlight=carpro

kognito
09-08-2020, 06:34 PM
Nick, is the Iron X ok on plastic panels and trim pieces?

Nick, what say you on this. The Porsche must have a bit of outer plastic bits. My trim level on the GMC has a lot of chrome plated plastic around the windows, and most of the front end.

Some interweb reviews say plastic can turn "white-ish" drawing stuff out of the base plastic quicker than paint on metal

Nick M3
09-08-2020, 09:14 PM
Nick, what say you on this. The Porsche must have a bit of outer plastic bits. My trim level on the GMC has a lot of chrome plated plastic around the windows, and most of the front end.

Some interweb reviews say plastic can turn "white-ish" drawing stuff out of the base plastic quicker than paint on metal
I haven't had that issue, but my cars don't have that much plastic on them.

kognito
09-10-2020, 11:26 AM
That stuff smells so good!

NOT!

Does work very good though! One of the worst spots for me is the painted rear view mirrors. And other than the chrome bumper, everything up from on the GMC is plastic.

Next thing on my wish list is a water de-ionizer. My tap water starts life in the lake we live next to, and is hard.

Nick M3
09-10-2020, 11:56 AM
Yeah, don't huff it. :)