PDA

View Full Version : X4

wdc330i
10-29-2014, 12:55 PM
I have one as a loaner today. I REALLY don't see the point of this vehicle at all. Trunk is so raked as to be useless. It's big without being roomy and it's ugly. Kinda cheapo looking inside, too. The only thing good about it is the massively improved camera resolution and coverage.

ZBB
10-29-2014, 01:02 PM
I saw one a couple weeks ago. Its mildly better looking than the X6... but still odd. Don't really understand why either exists.

Sounds like BMW has adopted an HD camera. The Tesla is the first car I've had with a backup camera, and its HD and gives a fantastic picture... I've since had a few rental cars with cameras, and I really can't believe how bad the non-HD resolution is... horrible...

zach
10-29-2014, 01:03 PM
Yeah, it really seems like a stupid car.

lupinsea
10-29-2014, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't buy a BMW version of this but I kind of dig it as a tribute to the old AMC Eagles. But I'm not sure I'd want to take a BMW the same places I'd be willing to take an AMC Eagle.

And I like the styling the same way I dig the X6, even though it doesn't make much sense (doesn't have the practicality of an SUV / CUV box form factor but it's jacked up and lifted so it won't have the dynamic abilities of a sport sedan).

kognito
10-29-2014, 03:52 PM
sorry Lupinsea, but the AMC Eagle does not need a tribute :D

Jeff_DML
10-29-2014, 04:08 PM
guess the X6 is selling well enough thus X4 but I don't see many around in my hood.

edit: One permutation that works for me is the 4 series gran coupe. It actually looks pretty good, IMHO. I like the hatch idea too but no stick so not a option for me.

lemming
10-29-2014, 09:38 PM
guess the X6 is selling well enough thus X4 but I don't see many around in my hood.

edit: One permutation that works for me is the 4 series gran coupe. It actually looks pretty good, IMHO. I like the hatch idea too but no stick so not a option for me.

Yes.

Saw a 435 GT at dealer and I like the looks.

650 GC still my favorite for now though.

The M4 is really, really overwrought. I'd be embarassed to be seen in that car. Like the German version of the STI with its wing.

And the X4.....wel I suspect this car is doomed to fill up dealer loaner fleets.

equ
10-30-2014, 01:03 AM
Neither the x6 nor the x4 appeal to me one bit, but interestingly x6 resale is holding strong, perhaps stronger than x5's due to relative rarity. Almost like 330Ci's being worth more than 330i's back in the day (I'm still stuck at ten years ago).

Sharp11
10-30-2014, 11:28 AM
Saw an X4 on the highway the other day and thought it looked nice.

However, it got me to thinking BMW has become the ultimate chassis-sharing-machine; something for everyone these days, and most of it is "lifestyle" oriented and has nothing to do with driving.

I'm sure these new models drive well thanks to solid underpinnings, but I wonder how long that will last - BMW is still a relatively small company with fewer R&D dollars than the bigger corporations - and if the market isn't demanding driver's cars from them, the core business will continue to shift. Think about it, the only real "performance" models are the M235 and M435, with perhaps a case being made for the standard variants of those models, but everything else is some kind of SUV "active lifestyle" machine or watered down sedan.