PDA

View Full Version : Not in the spirit of this forum...

equ
04-23-2007, 03:50 PM
But here it goes... Sth caught my eye in autotrader over the weekend. A 2006 a4 2.0T 6MT that's well priced. They are giving me an ok-ish trade-in on the 528, so I may just do it. After all, it's been nearly six months that I've had it and we all know that I love to churn. (Though the CayS is staying for the foreseeable future)

:eeps:

FC
04-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Well, you seem like an A4-guy. Buy what makes you happy. Is it a quattro?

equ
04-23-2007, 03:58 PM
I wouldn't buy an a4 that's not quattro... If the a3 2.0T were quattro, I'd probably buy one.

I really like the 3-series but they don't complement the CayS that well - and I've had two zhps in a row.

The 5er is nice but doesn't really make me happy unless I'm on a long highway trip - for which the audi "should be" decent as well. Though the level of isolation in the 5 over the 3 is significant so this may be an issue.

equ
04-23-2007, 04:04 PM
The sad bit is that it was a long searched for 5er and now it's just going to be traded in. It has to be one of the most optioned up 528's on the planet as well as one of the lower mileage ones. However, I feel that some maintenance will be coming due and I'm feeling shy on sinking the money. Nothing is urgent yet but not much was done to this car over its life of 59,000 miles other than tires.

The previous owner delivered it to me with a bottle of champagne in a matching velvet bag. And she had special ordered the car for her 50th b-day.

I guess I could try to put it up for sale (as I've never traded a car in in my life). Somehow I don't understand why this a4 is cheaper by a few k than usual in a color combo that I like. I find the buy-side hard to replicate and hence the lack of motivation for a forums/autotrader sale.

JST
04-23-2007, 04:10 PM
The sad bit is that it was a long searched for 5er and now it's just going to be traded in. It has to be one of the most optioned up 528's on the planet as well as one of the lower mileage ones. However, I feel that some maintenance will be coming due and I'm feeling shy on sinking the money. Nothing is urgent yet but not much was done to this car over its life of 59,000 miles other than tires.

The previous owner delivered it to me with a bottle of champagne in a matching velvet bag. And she had special ordered the car for her 50th b-day.

I guess I could try to put it up for sale (as I've never traded a car in in my life). Somehow I don't understand why this a4 is cheaper by a few k than usual in a color combo that I like. I find the buy-side hard to replicate and hence the lack of motivation for a forums/autotrader sale.

I've said it before and I'll say it again--test drive the 2.0T in traffic before you buy it. The throttle surge on ours pisses me off enough that I would be reluctant to "buy" another one.

equ
04-23-2007, 04:22 PM
Did not notice in brief test drive. Will try again... I did notice an uncomfortable surge in an 05 LGT though. Is this different from the slight turbo kick?

JST
04-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Did not notice in brief test drive. Will try again... I did notice an uncomfortable surge in an 05 LGT though. Is this different from the slight turbo kick?

I think so--I'm not quite sure what you mean by "turbo kick," but this occurs at small throttle openings when you are clutching/declutching--i.e., creeping forward in traffic. It's almost as if the e-throttle is lagging a bit. It's hard to describe, but the end result is that the car occasionally surges and bucks at stop and go speeds. It's not a problem I've had with any other car; maube it has to do with a combination of the rotational inertia of the AWD gear and the e-throttle that (I hear) is slightly non-linear to overcome the minimal amount of lag the car has? Dunno. Maybe it's just our car.

Rob
04-23-2007, 04:47 PM
Let's see. You are thinking about turning a car after a few months - and you are waffling about it. You think that isn't in the spirit of this forum? I think it fits right in.

equ
04-23-2007, 04:49 PM
I see - we were talking about something completely different. I'll try "creeping" in it to see if I have a problem. The surge I felt for the LGT was at 30-40mph...

The 330's were very good at creeping at almost no throttle and no clutch (lonely upside of a heavy flywheel). Though the 528 just won't do it (it prefers to buck a bit instead) - combo of light flywheel, heavy car and low torque at 800rpm? Actually at 1500-2000 rpm the m52 2.8 feels quite strong - as strong as the m54 3.0. It just doesn't gain much at the high end.

equ
04-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Let's see. You are thinking about turning a car after a few months - and you are waffling about it. You think that isn't in the spirit of this forum? I think it fits right in.

Well this is not a lot of waffling for me. The deal might happen tomorrow...

Rob
04-23-2007, 05:01 PM
I consider this waffling really related to the 5 series. Meaning it's been going on for several months now.

equ
04-23-2007, 09:18 PM
:o Fair enough. (But I have kept my waffling private for the last two months).