PDA

View Full Version : E36M3 torn rear shock mount

bren
01-27-2004, 02:06 PM
I just heard from a co-worker that he had to have his 99 M3 with just under 27k miles towed because of a torn upper shock mount on the left rear. He was pretty upset seeing as the car has had no accidents, no racing, no autocrossing and no driving schools...he never even drives it hard.

Doug
01-27-2004, 02:15 PM
typical problem, even on a street car. Welding that area can be $$$. Make sure he gets new shock mounts AND the Z3 reinforcements or Ground Control RSMs to alleviate this problem.

JST
01-27-2004, 02:24 PM
I just heard from a co-worker that he had to have his 99 M3 with just under 27k miles towed because of a torn upper shock mount on the left rear. He was pretty upset seeing as the car has had no accidents, no racing, no autocrossing and no driving schools...he never even drives it hard.

Tell him to look on the bright side: The other common problem in these cars is subframe failure. At least that didn't happen.

zach
01-27-2004, 02:26 PM

Tell him to look on the bright side: The other common problem in these cars is subframe failure. At least that didn't happen.

SpaceMonk and I replaced the RSMs on my car a few months ago. They were both shot. I used e46 M3 rsms to replace the stock ones.

JST
01-27-2004, 02:33 PM

Clarification: Are you saying that the mount was torn (which happens to all of them, and 27K miles is not unreasonable), or that the steel body that the mount bolts to was torn (which also happens, but more rarely). From the fact that the car was towed, I am guessing the latter.

blee
01-27-2004, 02:41 PM
If the E36 M3 has an Achille's Heel, it would probably be the rear shock mounts. As JST said, the mounts themselves fail on a very regular basis. It's less common to see the actual shock tower tear, but it's still relatively common. From a shadetree engineer's standpoint, it is a pretty stupid decision to mount the shock absorbers using two measly holes in a section of sheet metal. I would've expected more from BMW in that department.

How long has your coworker owned his M3? The damage may have been caused from a pothole, other road debris, or perhaps an incident under prior ownership.

TD
01-27-2004, 02:48 PM
If it's just a torn mount, I can't see why it would have to be towed. And it's an easy DIY repair.

bren
01-27-2004, 05:33 PM
From what I understand the mounting bolts tore through the body (I only spoke with him briefly about it.) He is an older guy, in his late 60's and he's the original owner. He really doesn't seem like the type to turn wrenches any longer so I'm sure that is why he had it towed.