PDA

View Full Version : E46 clicking rear question (drive train play? subframe?)

rumatt
04-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Before I got out of the parking lot I noticed a clicking from the rear when I get on and off the gas in 1st gear. :speechle: It sounds like it's coming from the diff or right rear area. It's not a clunk, but a click. It's not super loud, but it's enough that you can hear it clearly and it's annoying me.

Does anyone with an e46 year an audible "click" when you get on and off the gas in 1st? I am starting to wonder if I'm now imagining things just because it was at the dealer, but I can't believe that it could have been this loud before and I wouldn't have noticed it.

BahnBaum
04-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Before I got out of the parking lot I noticed a clicking from the rear when I get on and off the gas in 1st gear. :speechle: It sounds like it's coming from the diff or right rear area. It's not a clunk, but a click. It's not super loud, but it's enough that you can hear it clearly and it's annoying me.

Does anyone with an e46 year an audible "click" when you get on and off the gas in 1st? I am starting to wonder if I'm now imagining things just because it was at the dealer, but I can't believe that it could have been this loud before and I wouldn't have noticed it.

Sounds just like some caliper/brake noises that Bren had early on in his M3 ownership. I don't recall what it was, I'm sure he will.

Alex

rumatt
04-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Sounds just like some caliper/brake noises that Bren had early on in his M3 ownership. I don't recall what it was, I'm sure he will.

They did just do the brakes (and nothing else) so the odds of being brake related are high.

I took off the wheel and everything seemed snug. Bren, any pointers on exactly what to check?

bren
04-13-2007, 12:04 PM
While driving, gently put pressure on the brake pedal with your left foot when you hear the clicking and see if it stops.

My issue was the inner pads not being clipped tightly to the piston causing them to rattle around. I bent the tabs on the backside of the pad out and put a lot of anti-rattle gunk on them and they were fine. They should clip firmly to the inside of the piston.

rumatt
04-13-2007, 12:07 PM
Cool. I'll go try that now. :eeps:

rumatt
04-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Hmm, it still make the click when I'm on the brakes lightly, but it was more muffled.

I guess later tonight I'll see if I can wiggle the inner pad. If not, I'll have to take it back one last time. :ack: :lol:

bren
04-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Sounds like you are more gentle than I am. :p

Stop and pick up some anti-squeal compound on the way home. Take the inner pad(s) out, bend the tabs outwards a bit so they are snug on the piston when you re-install, and apply the anti-squeal to the backing plate.

rumatt
04-13-2007, 12:37 PM
Will do. But I'll be late at work today so it will happen tomorrow.

EDIT: hmmm wait, When exactly did yours click? I'm having a hard time figuring out why the brake would click because I let off the gas. The wheel is still turning forward either way. Clicking when you go from forward to reverse would make more sense, because the wheel turning the opposite direction would cause the pad to slide the other way.

Plaz
04-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Maybe they left a screwdriver wedged in your guibo.

rumatt
04-13-2007, 01:10 PM
Maybe they left a screwdriver wedged in your guibo.

Thanks plaz. :lol:

I'm guessing all these E46 maintenance threads make you more relieved that you dumped yours?

ff
04-13-2007, 01:29 PM
See if you have a rock stuck in your tire tread.

bren
04-13-2007, 01:33 PM
See if you have a rock stuck in your tire tread.

Actually, a rock in the backing plate isn't out of the question either. But my pad issue and a rock would click regardless of throttle position.

If your click is throttle induced I would suspect something in the CV joints, driveshaft, or diff.

Plaz
04-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Thanks plaz. :lol:

I'm guessing all these E46 maintenance threads make you more relieved that you dumped yours?

:lol:

Yeah, lil' bit. We still have one though, though it's practically new in terms of mileage.

rumatt
04-13-2007, 01:53 PM
If your click is throttle induced I would suspect something in the CV joints, driveshaft, or diff.

Yep, I think it's drive line related. Nothing else makes sense.

rumatt
04-17-2007, 12:54 PM
Road test with shop foreman tomorrow at 11:30. We'll see if I can convince them the click is abnormal.

Plaz
04-17-2007, 12:57 PM
Seriously, my shot in the dark dangerously undereducated guesses are:

- guibo issue
- diff mount issue

rumatt
04-17-2007, 01:01 PM
Seriously, my shot in the dark dangerously undereducated guesses are:

- guibo issue
- diff mount issue

It don't think it's the guibo because the noise is coming from the rear. Diff maybe.

I got under the car the other day and I couldn't find any cracks anywhere. I suspect something's loose, but I couldn't find it. I tried shaking everything as hard as I could (or was willing to while under a car on jack stands :speechle: ) and but nothing seemed loose. We'll see.

nate
04-17-2007, 01:11 PM
Eh, my car has had this noise since the subframe tore.

No one has been able to figure out if anything is wrong. :dunno:

FWIW, the pax swaybar tab tore last week. YMMV.

rumatt
04-18-2007, 01:24 PM
I dropped off the car today and the shop foreman confirmed the clicking wasn't right. He guessed diff or rear sway, and will look into it. :dunno:

But

1) You should have seen how long the SA spent marking down the condition of my car. Man, oh man. Every tiny ding she marked :lol:

2) The service manager and shop foreman were gathered around my wheel, pointing and talking. I can only imagine they were interested in the wheel studs. :speechle:

bren
04-18-2007, 03:04 PM
The service manager and shop foreman were gathered around my wheel, pointing and talking. I can only imagine they were interested in the wheel studs. :speechle:
That's b/c they probably over-torqued the lugs and drove the stud into the backing plate causing the clicking noise. :p

rumatt
04-18-2007, 03:09 PM
That's b/c they probably over-torqued the lugs and drove the stud into the backing plate causing the clicking noise. :p

:bustingup

As payment for breaking my car twice in a row, they gave me a loaner this time. (places around here don't do loaners if you didn't buy from them).

It's an X5. Big, slow... zzzzzzzzzzz.

Plaz
04-18-2007, 03:12 PM

Bingo! :lol:

clyde
04-18-2007, 05:05 PM
http://www.lawair.com/bmw/bolt-1.jpg

rumatt
04-18-2007, 06:27 PM
- diff mount issue

Incorrect, but you get partial credit for have the right word in your answer.

They're installing a new diff. :toetap:

Plaz
04-18-2007, 06:32 PM
Incorrect, but you get partial credit for have the right word in your answer.

They're installing a new diff. :toetap:

Well, if you ever need another one, I've got one in my garage. :eeps:

rumatt
04-18-2007, 06:37 PM
Well, if you ever need another one, I've got one in my garage. :eeps:

I wondered about that.

I'm surprised the diff was bad. Do they commonly fail at 44K miles? :scratch:

clyde
04-18-2007, 06:48 PM
on national championship winning cars?

rumatt
04-18-2007, 06:50 PM
on national championship winning cars?

What would that have to do with me?

http://www.qubsu.org/cmsfiles/images/advice%20centre/education/sshh_logo.jpg

Plaz
04-18-2007, 06:59 PM
Wow, really? Never saw a single brag or gloat. Wow.

Congrats to whatever possibly fictional being who may or may not be a member of this board and may or may not drive a bimmer won some nat'l championship or another! That may or may not be very impressive!

:thumbup: :lol:

rumatt
04-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Wow, really? Never saw a single brag or gloat. Wow.

Congrats to whatever possibly fictional being who may or may not be a member of this board and may or may not drive a bimmer won some nat'l championship or another! That may or may not be very impressive!

The fictional person is the owner of the fictional winning car, not the fictional winning driver. The fictional owner's driving performance was slightly less impressive.

Plaz
04-18-2007, 07:05 PM
The fictional person is the owner of the fictional winning car, not the fictional winning driver. The fictional owner's driving performance was slightly less impressive.

Ahhh, that may or may not clear things up. :lol:

rumatt
04-21-2007, 12:02 AM
Update...

Got the car back with the new diff and it seems to be quiet. So I guess it was the diff. :dunno:

Either that or they put super glue on the subframe cracks and installed a new diff as a cover.

Plaz
04-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Update...

Got the car back with the new diff and it seems to be quiet. So I guess it was the diff. :dunno:

Either that or they put super glue on the subframe cracks and installed a new diff as a cover.

http://www.rpconline.com/catalog/content/images/tape_duct.jpg

clyde
04-22-2007, 12:46 AM

http://www.rpconline.com/catalog/content/images/tape_duct.jpg
...oh...if you only knew the truth...