PDA

View Full Version : Traded the butterknife for a scalpel

Plaz
03-31-2007, 11:57 PM
That's how it feels, anyway. :D

Black on black RX-8 Grand Touring w/Nav, spare tire kit, and Sirius. 1 mile on the clock.

Love it, love it, love it so far. So much more nimble, responsive, and visceral. Even makes slow driving fun. Turn-in is immediate. The throttle subtlely changes the attitude of the car around turns even when nowhere near traction's edge. The chassis feels great -- and the suspension is a better balance of taut and responsive while remaining livable than the E46, IMO. The whole car feels very solid. Impressively so for a non-high-end marque.

I think the ass dyno does lie, too. I'm learning that it only feels like a dog directly off the line, if driven correctly.

Dealer experience was pretty miserable, but in the end I got a fair deal, and got the car. Wasn't really raped any more than I expected to be based on available data.

I've only driven a hundred miles or so, and mostly freeway, so I'll wait to post any more impressions until I've settled in some more. But I'm pretty happy camper.

PS: BMW drivers are assholes. :lol:

rumatt
04-01-2007, 12:00 AM
Black on black

Nice guess (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showpost.php?p=140248&postcount=27) bonoboy

Sharp11
04-01-2007, 12:03 AM
That's how it feels, anyway. :D

Black on black RX-8 Grand Touring w/Nav, spare tire kit, and Sirius. 1 mile on the clock.

Love it, love it, love it so far. So much more nimble, responsive, and visceral. Even makes slow driving fun. Turn-in is immediate. The throttle subtlely changes the attitude of the car around turns even when nowhere near traction's edge. The chassis feels great -- and the suspension is a better balance of taut and responsive while remaining livable than the E46, IMO. The whole car feels very solid. Impressively so for a non-high-end marque.

I think the ass dyno does lie, too. I'm learning that it only feels like a dog directly off the line, if driven correctly.

Dealer experience was pretty miserable, but in the end I got a fair deal, and got the car. Wasn't really raped any more than I expected to be based on available data.

I've only driven a hundred miles or so, and mostly freeway, so I'll wait to post any more impressions until I've settled in some more. But I'm pretty happy camper.

PS: BMW drivers are assholes. :lol:

The GT package is a nice choice on that car - good luck and enjoy.

Ed

rumatt
04-01-2007, 12:04 AM

Funny, I was thinking sport + nav and no other options.

dan
04-01-2007, 12:14 AM
Nice guess (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showpost.php?p=140248&postcount=27) bonoboy

i'm good

Jason C
04-01-2007, 12:22 AM
Impressively so for a non-high-end marque.

Since when is superior dynamics inherent to a badge or a price point? :dunno:

Glad to hear you're liking it so far. :)

Plaz
04-01-2007, 12:45 AM

He saw my post before I edited it last night. I'd imagine the mods were similarly unsurprised. :lol:

Plaz
04-01-2007, 12:48 AM

Thanks!

Are you trying to guilt me? :lol:

i'm good

:lol:

Since when is superior dynamics inherent to a badge or a price point? :dunno:

Glad to hear you're linking it so far. :)

No, not dynamics. Just that feeling of solidity... the "door thunk" difference between a 5er and a Jetta.

Thanks!

equ
04-01-2007, 01:32 AM
As long as you have the headroom, the GT package is good coming off a near-luxury car like the e46 - softens the landing. If, a year ago, I had found an 05 Gray GT 6spd below 30k, I would have bought it.

Enjoy in good health - it really puts the e46 to shame. In fact, I had been happy with the e46 all over again until I did a zoom-zoom event and driving the rx-8 opened my eyes.

lemming
04-01-2007, 08:29 AM
that's awesome, P.

i'm a torque-asshole, but i still love the rx8, so i'm envious of you. nimble is basically a lost art in modern 'mainstream' cars.

nice shifter, no? (and clutch) (and chassis feel)

equ
04-01-2007, 09:31 AM
Yes, I was wondering why you didn't mention the shifter/clutch. It just feels so, so natural after the bmw that you wonder what bmw is doing wrong.

kognito
04-01-2007, 09:47 AM
Good luck with it.

Had you checked out Grecco Mazda here in NJ?? (Rockaway) I haven't been in their new (old) showroom, but I heard they are making good deals :dunno:

ff
04-01-2007, 09:54 AM
Nice, Plaz! Congrats. (pictures, please)

I'm curious about your impressions of the clutch too. When I drove the Mazdaspeed 6, it was pretty hard-core (for a stock street car). Takeup was immediate, and very firm.

clyde
04-01-2007, 10:25 AM
He didn't want to copy me.

Enjoy it, Plaz.

Plaz
04-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Yes, clutch and shifter are so natural, I didn't even think to mention it.

I don't know if it's a product of the clutch being so good, or a product of my residual muscle memory from my MX-6, but it never felt even a little bit awkward, even on test drives. I've not even come close to stalling it or over-revving on launch.

Again, it really does seem to have plenty of get-up-and-go in high revs, and acceptable oomph once it's over 3500-4000 rpm. Off the line sucks, I cannot lie.

DSC seems very unobtrusive, and I'm not sure if it even has a flashing nanny light when it activates, like the BMW does.

I think I've already felt the difference of having an LSD when doing one launch into a turn on a gravelly surface, but it could just be my imagination.

The clutch is perhaps just a touch lighter than I'd choose, but I'll probably be thankful for that over the long haul under stop-and-go commuting conditions. The pedal throw is just a touch longer than it was in my E46 with the big honkin clutch stop; not sure if a clutch stop is even an option in this car.

Likewise, the shifter is just perfect. Again, just a little longer throw than the UUC SSK that was in my 330, but much less notchy, while being just as precise. Of course, the throw is MUCH shorter than the John Deere/butter churn action of the stock E46. Every shift is a joy, and that's a good thing since this car requires a lot more shifting. :lol:

Grecco only had some old Shinka package '06s, and no GTs. I ended up buying from a dealer way the F out in eastern Long Island.

The GT package was a must -- equ is totally right -- it makes for a "soft landing" from the comforts of the E46. I will miss the OBC, but will be just fine with a couple of trip odometers. Other than that, almost all the creature comforts of the E46 are included on this trim level. (I will not miss headlight washers or passenger power seat, and one power level for the heated seats is just fine. :lol: ) I'm happy to get big old analog knobs for climate control, even if it does mean no automatic "set it and forget it" setting.

The manual says no synthetic oil, and to change out with 5W20 every 7500 miles. Maybe syn doesn't burn as well, and given the fact that it basically injects oil into the combustion chamber(s), this is a big deal? :dunno: I guess that means I'll be changing it every 3750 with dino.

Sharp11
04-01-2007, 11:26 AM
Yes, clutch and shifter are so natural, I didn't even think to mention it.

I don't know if it's a product of the clutch being so good, or a product of my residual muscle memory from my MX-6, but it never felt even a little bit awkward, even on test drives. I've not even come close to stalling it or over-revving on launch.

Again, it really does seem to have plenty of get-up-and-go in high revs, and acceptable oomph once it's over 3500-4000 rpm. Off the line sucks, I cannot lie.

DSC seems very unobtrusive, and I'm not sure if it even has a flashing nanny light when it activates, like the BMW does.

I think I've already felt the difference of having an LSD when doing one launch into a turn on a gravelly surface, but it could just be my imagination.

The clutch is perhaps just a touch lighter than I'd choose, but I'll probably be thankful for that over the long haul under stop-and-go commuting conditions. The pedal throw is just a touch longer than it was in my E46 with the big honkin clutch stop; not sure if a clutch stop is even an option in this car.

Likewise, the shifter is just perfect. Again, just a little longer throw than the UUC SSK that was in my 330, but much less notchy, while being just as precise. Of course, the throw is MUCH shorter than the John Deere/butter churn action of the stock E46. Every shift is a joy, and that's a good thing since this car requires a lot more shifting. :lol:

Grecco only had some old Shinka package '06s, and no GTs. I ended up buying from a dealer way the F out in eastern Long Island.

The GT package was a must -- equ is totally right -- it makes for a "soft landing" from the comforts of the E46. I will miss the OBC, but will be just fine with a couple of trip odometers. Other than that, almost all the creature comforts of the E46 are included on this trim level. (I will not miss headlight washers or passenger power seat, and one power level for the heated seats is just fine. :lol: ) I'm happy to get big old analog knobs for climate control, even if it does mean no automatic "set it and forget it" setting.

The manual says no synthetic oil, and to change out with 5W20 every 7500 miles. Maybe syn doesn't burn as well, and given the fact that it basically injects oil into the combustion chamber(s), this is a big deal? :dunno: I guess that means I'll be changing it every 3750 with dino.

My feeling these days is you can get used to anything - the extra shifting, less low end grunt etc will seem normal after awhile (like playing a poorly setup bass, it sucks at first, eventually you compensate and don't notice it).

I've gotten so used to the high take-up and longer throw shifter in the ZHP it feels completely natural to me.

Ed

Plaz
04-01-2007, 11:35 AM
My feeling these days is you can get used to anything - the extra shifting, less low end grunt etc will seem normal after awhile (like playing a poorly setup bass, it sucks at first, eventually you compensate and don't notice it).

Yeah, once the blisters have subsided. :lol:

FC
04-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Congrats man. I really like the RX-8. Have fun.

clyde
04-01-2007, 03:39 PM

It is much less intrusive than anything BMW has offered. Once you get used to it, though, it will bug you when you activate it. Yes, there is a light that comes on when it's activated. To disable, press and hold for about 7 seconds. When you first press, a light comes on in the lower left of the cluster. It's fully off when the icon near the top of the tach turns on.

There is contention over whether synthetic is acceptable. I only used dino, and I changed about every 3k. Oh, and check the level every other fill up. And don't be worried by the white frothy stuff you will eventually find on your dipstick, along the dipstick tube and maybe even the oil fill cap. ;)

nate
04-01-2007, 03:50 PM
Scalpel? Come on...it isn't an Ariel Atom....

Anyway, congrats. I saw this one coming from a mile away...

clyde
04-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Scalpel? Come on...it isn't an Ariel Atom....

E46 is to butterknife as RX-8 is to scalpel as Atom is to laser.

dredmo
04-01-2007, 04:09 PM
E46 is to butterknife as RX-8 is to scalpel as Atom is to laser.

So what is a 6-Series? Sledgehammer?

lemming
04-01-2007, 04:45 PM
IMO and recollection, the rx8 takes all of the things i like about the miata and plants them into a proper car. the shifter and clutch take-up being my favorites.

the clutch may feel light, but it doesn't feel as springy as the crap dual mass unit the BMW likes to use in all of its cars now.

on a car like the rx8, i'll bet "adding lightness" counts for a lot. dunno about the OEm wheels, but those OEM bridgerocks have to go --you could lose a ton of unsprung weight just burning thru those suckers and getting lighter tires (and lighter wheels).

i dunno why one would mess around with synthetic oil if the engine's gonna burn it up.

lemming
04-01-2007, 04:48 PM

it's whatever a 5 series with 2 doors would be. ;)

le marteau des parvenu?

Jason C
04-01-2007, 04:53 PM

http://www.abfab.co.uk/Thumbnails/S25325.jpg

clyde
04-01-2007, 06:45 PM
It's a big fat pig.

This is a sledgehammer:
http://www.callawayownersgroup.com/COTM/2003November/cotms16.jpg

dredmo
04-01-2007, 07:36 PM
This is a sledgehammer:

Sharp...

Mr. The Edge
04-01-2007, 09:32 PM

yes

Plaz
04-02-2007, 07:08 AM
And don't be worried by the white frothy stuff you will eventually find on your dipstick, along the dipstick tube and maybe even the oil fill cap. ;)

:ack:

lemming
04-02-2007, 08:08 AM
:ack:

when you commute in that thing, please give feedback as to how well it handles driving on The Moon compared to the E46.

clyde
04-02-2007, 08:35 AM
A few things to note...

If you want to be able to get a steep discount on parts (somewhere around dealer cost, sometimes less), do two autocrosses a year and you'll be eligible for the Mazda Motorsports program. You can register for it here (http://www.mazdamotorsports.com/). You can register before you do any, but you need to send them links or copies of results for two events within a year to stay eligible. There has never been a report from anyone that joining the program has had any impact on warranty/service.

If you want copies of the service manuals, parts catalog, maintenance parts list, or collision guide (the last two make it much easier to locate part numbers for many commonly needed items), let me know.

If you expect to take your wheels off the car more than once or twice a year, I'd suggest getting a set of quality aftermarket lugnuts (such as these (http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MCG%2D64002&N=700+0&autoview=sku); need 5 sets). The OE parts are total crap, filled with so much shit that they will gall the studs and totally ruin your day at some point. And if you don't, I'd at least recommend putting some anti-sieze on the studs so that you don't run into a nasty surprise. Torque spec is 108 ft-lbs.

Also, when you get to the point that you want to improve the car, Koni shocks are a good, inexpensive big bang for the buck way to go. There are lots of spring/shock/coilover choices, as well as a lot of sway bar choices as well. They're all pretty simple to do.

lemming
04-02-2007, 09:15 AM
A few things to note...

If you want to be able to get a steep discount on parts (somewhere around dealer cost, sometimes less), do two autocrosses a year and you'll be eligible for the Mazda Motorsports program. You can register for it here (http://www.mazdamotorsports.com/). You can register before you do any, but you need to send them links or copies of results for two events within a year to stay eligible. There has never been a report from anyone that joining the program has had any impact on warranty/service.

If you want copies of the service manuals, parts catalog, maintenance parts list, or collision guide (the last two make it much easier to locate part numbers for many commonly needed items), let me know.

If you expect to take your wheels off the car more than once or twice a year, I'd suggest getting a set of quality aftermarket lugnuts (such as these (http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MCG%2D64002&N=700+0&autoview=sku); need 5 sets). The OE parts are total crap, filled with so much shit that they will gall the studs and totally ruin your day at some point. And if you don't, I'd at least recommend putting some anti-sieze on the studs so that you run into a nasty surprise. Torque spec is 108 ft-lbs.

Also, when you get to the point that you want to improve the car, Koni shocks are a good, inexpensive big bang for the buck way to go. There are lots of spring/shock/coilover choices, as well as a lot of sway bar choices as well. They're all pretty simple to do.

i was waiting to see if he felt the need for the konis, too, clyde!

kognito
04-02-2007, 09:55 AM
And if you don't, I'd at least recommend putting some anti-seize on the studs so that you don't run into a nasty surprise. Torque spec is 108 ft-lbs.

fixed for everyone's benefit

Plaz
04-02-2007, 10:09 AM
A few things to note...

If you expect to take your wheels off the car more than once or twice a year, I'd suggest getting a set of quality aftermarket lugnuts (such as these (http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MCG%2D64002&N=700+0&autoview=sku); need 5 sets). The OE parts are total crap, filled with so much shit that they will gall the studs and totally ruin your day at some point. And if you don't, I'd at least recommend putting some anti-sieze on the studs so that you don't run into a nasty surprise. Torque spec is 108 ft-lbs.

Thanks for the pointers! I may in fact register... this car does seem to beg to be autoxed.

I'd love copies of all that documentation -- I assume you have it in PDFs (or some other electronic format)? If you only have hard copy, I don't want to put you through that hassle.

At this point (only 300 miles in), I'm very happy with the suspension... it feels nearly as taut as the PSS9s I had on the E46 (set pretty stiffly), but without the punishment. Nicely balanced. Did well on moon shot 1 coming into NYC this morning, but the return trip is the really nasty part. Will report.

108 ft-lbs is tight! At this point, I only anticipate changing a couple of times a year, but if that changes (or I'm impressed by the craptacular nature of said nuts when I do change 'em), I'll follow your recommendation for replacements.

Handing it off to the valet fucktard was difficult this morning, but I've got to get used to it. :ack:

FC
04-02-2007, 10:44 AM
I think it's worth noting that we lost yet another BMW owner.

Plaz
04-02-2007, 10:47 AM

No you didn't, BMW lost an owner. I'm still here, whether you guys like it or not. :lol:

(And we do still have an E46 325iT that serves as my wife's car)

FC
04-02-2007, 10:53 AM
(And we do still have an E46 325iT that serves as my wife's car)

Oh, I didn't know that.

Sharp11
04-02-2007, 10:54 AM

This is a tough one - when I think "Plaz", I see a blue BMW 330i sedan, I have to readjust :)

Ed

Rob
04-02-2007, 06:31 PM
I am not certain I will ever get used to not seeing the thing I always thought was a bug or maybe a splattered bug from the death valley trip in Plaz' signature (he claims it was a reflection of something).

Congrats Plaz.

Plaz
04-02-2007, 10:16 PM
I am not certain I will ever get used to not seeing the thing I always thought was a bug or maybe a splattered bug from the death valley trip in Plaz' signature (he claims it was a reflection of something).

Congrats Plaz.

I never claimed it was a reflection... it was some far out desert bug who met a quick end on an Orient Blue deathbed. :lol:

http://plaz.net/plaz/bimmersigs/plazbimmersig23.gif

Arockalypse
04-03-2007, 11:28 AM
I'm more interested in how the handoff to the garage attendant went on Monday morning.

Did you die a little inside? Did you get a bit misty-eyed? Did you go down at lunch and check in on it?

Or did you just stay home from work out of fear... or worse yet, did you take the train? :lol:

And thanks for letting me drive her this weekend. Was a blast, but I'll miss your e46. It was a fun ride to work on and I don't anticipate us doing much to your RX-8 -- unless you want to install that supercharger! :D

Plaz
04-03-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm more interested in how the handoff to the garage attendant went on Monday morning.

Did you die a little inside? Did you get a bit misty-eyed? Did you go down at lunch and check in on it?

Or did you just stay home from work out of fear... or worse yet, did you take the train? :lol:

And thanks for letting me drive her this weekend. Was a blast, but I'll miss your e46. It was a fun ride to work on and I don't anticipate us doing much to your RX-8 -- unless you want to install that supercharger! :D

I had a little pain in my stomach handing it over, but honestly, probably less than I did the first time I handed over the E46 after moving back.

Working from home today. :D

rumatt
04-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Updates? Still happy? Regrets?

Sharp11
04-03-2007, 12:08 PM

He just got the damned thing :dunno:

Ed

dan
04-03-2007, 12:09 PM
it's already damned?

damn

rumatt
04-03-2007, 12:11 PM
He just got the damned thing :dunno:

You've never regretted something two days after you bought it? :D

Sharp11
04-03-2007, 12:14 PM
You've never regretted something two days after you bought it? :D

Of course, but I've learned to ignore it :)

It's the regret after the 6 month or so mark that makes me worry....

Ed

Rob
04-03-2007, 12:14 PM

I never claimed it was a reflection... it was some far out desert bug who met a quick end on an Orient Blue deathbed. :lol:

http://plaz.net/plaz/bimmersigs/plazbimmersig23.gif

Did too!! The Stuka/clyde autocross weekend, if you want to be specific. Of course we were talking in the abstract and I probably didn't explain which one I meant very well. I am glad to finally know it's a bug for certain. I can sleep nights now.

clyde
04-03-2007, 12:21 PM
The RX-8 is probably the one thing that I've bought in my life over $1,000 that I didn't have any second thoughts about after buying (outside of thinking that I probably should have researched lease rates a little better).

:dunno:

Plaz
04-03-2007, 12:21 PM

No, no buyer's remorse yet. Still happy. Only on my 2nd tank of gas. (It really is a thirsty mofo, though, I can tell already)

Plaz
04-03-2007, 12:24 PM
Did too!! The Stuka/clyde autocross weekend, if you want to be specific. Of course we were talking in the abstract and I probably didn't explain which one I meant very well. I am glad to finally know it's a bug for certain. I can sleep nights now.

:scratch:

I wasn't in San Diego for the stuklyde autox extravaganza... maybe you thought someone else was the one and only inimitable genuine Plaz? :dunno:

In any event, I'm happy I've rendered your Ambien prescription obsolete. :lol:

Plaz
04-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Question for the knowing:

Is the 8 as loud from the outside as it seems it would be from the inside when screaming it at 7K+?

Rob
04-03-2007, 12:46 PM
:scratch:

I wasn't in San Diego for the stuklyde autox extravaganza... maybe you thought someone else was the one and only inimitable genuine Plaz? :dunno:

In any event, I'm happy I've rendered your Ambien prescription obsolete. :lol:

Wasn't that weekend, huh? Hmm. Maybe it was a tech weekend. And no, I have never confused anyone else as you. How is that even possible? I mean . . . You are PLAZ!

clyde
04-03-2007, 12:47 PM
Question for the knowing:

Is the 8 as loud from the outside as it seems it would be from the inside when screaming it at 7K+?
*snort*

No. It's actually quite quiet from the outside. There is actually a bit of intake type noise that starts around 7k when the VFAD opens, which is clearly audible from the outside, but it still isn't really loud.

Plaz
04-03-2007, 12:55 PM
*snort*

No. It's actually quite quiet from the outside. There is actually a bit of intake type noise that starts around 7k when the VFAD opens, which is clearly audible from the outside, but it still isn't really loud.

Thanks. There are times when I want to be obnoxious, and times I don't. I was just worried that high-rev driving through uptight suburbia might raise the wrong eyebrows (Johnny Law) if it was too loud... and compared to the E46, the RX is much louder inside the cabin. (I love that)

rumatt
04-03-2007, 03:41 PM
The RX-8 is probably the one thing that I've bought in my life over $1,000 that I didn't have any second thoughts about after buying

Our plasma TV is the only item that wins that award for me.

equ
04-03-2007, 08:16 PM
I'm a big second thought person - still learning the satisfaction/chilling out game. If I ever have a second thought on the cayman, I just drive it for a few minutes.

Hercules
04-22-2007, 02:35 PM
This makes me miss my RX-8 so much more :(

I just spent $2600 on a sprinkler system so I may have to wait another month or two before I get an RX again... I'll be patient but wow, now do I really regret giving it up! :)

lemming
04-22-2007, 06:22 PM
This makes me miss my RX-8 so much more :(

I just spent $2600 on a sprinkler system so I may have to wait another month or two before I get an RX again... I'll be patient but wow, now do I really regret giving it up! :)

what provoked you into selling the '8 the first time around?

Hercules
04-23-2007, 02:27 PM
what provoked you into selling the '8 the first time around?It was on lease, and after the lease was up I wanted something that was "better". I thought the E46 M3 would have been, but sadly I was mistaken. I could pick up a lot of girls in it... but not the 'nice' girls I would like :D

Anyhoo... I wanted 'better' according to some status symbol or something I guess, and I learned that more expensive doesn't mean better! Hopefully I won't be too far behind Plaz though :D

JST
04-23-2007, 02:29 PM
It was on lease, and after the lease was up I wanted something that was "better". I thought the E46 M3 would have been, but sadly I was mistaken. I could pick up a lot of girls in it... but not the 'nice' girls I would like :D

Anyhoo... I wanted 'better' according to some status symbol or something I guess, and I learned that more expensive doesn't mean better! Hopefully I won't be too far behind Plaz though :D

You should have read the reviews.

http://teamwtf.org/content/view/86/93/

Hercules
04-25-2007, 09:32 PM
You should have read the reviews.

http://teamwtf.org/content/view/86/93/
Don't make baby Jesus cry :(

I went to the dealer today, but they wanted too much for the car... so I walked out. Ah well, there are plenty of RX-8s out there... just trying to find the one I like :)

Hercules
04-29-2007, 11:33 AM
FYI -- the heated seats power work in accordance to what you set the thermostat. The hotter you set it, the hotter the seats get.

Plaz
05-06-2007, 01:29 AM
Oh, BTW:

http://plaz.net/plaz/plazx/20070505-0010ws.jpg

http://plaz.net/plaz/plazx/20070505-0037ws.jpg

http://plaz.net/plaz/plazx/20070505-0044ws.jpg

Sharp11
05-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Oh, BTW:

http://plaz.net/plaz/plazx/20070505-0010ws.jpg

Hey, I was driving through the Catskills yesterday with a local BMW club, that looks like the same area, is that where you were?

Ed

kognito
05-06-2007, 10:29 AM
Nice pictures.

did the car wask screw up your license plates? : outtaher

equ
05-06-2007, 10:36 AM
Nice. It's begging for clear sidemarkers...

Plaz
05-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Hey, I was driving through the Catskills yesterday with a local BMW club, that looks like the same area, is that where you were?

Ed

No, actually I took a long drive yesterday through ME, NH, VT, and western MA, before hopping back on the Taconic to get home from eastern NY. Same landscape, pretty much, though.

That pic was taken between Waterford and Bridgeton, ME... about here. (http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=44.156739,-70.715126&spn=0.00321,0.005976&t=h&z=18&om=1)

EDIT: This (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=bath,+me&daddr=Lewiston,+ME+to%3Anorway,+me+to%3Awaterford, +me+to%3Abridgton,+me+to%3Afryeburg,+me+to%3Aconwa y,+nh+to%3Alivermore,+nh+to%3ABridgewater+Corners, +VT+to%3AWeston,+VT+to%3ABennington,+VT+to%3Agreat +barrington,+ma+to%3ANew+Vernon,+NJ&mrcr=11&sll=41.10753,-73.84734&sspn=3.451736,6.119385&ie=UTF8&ll=42.869925,-72.638855&spn=6.714949,12.23877&t=k&z=7&om=1) was pretty much my exact route yesterday.

Plaz
05-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Nice pictures.

did the car wask screw up your license plates? : outtaher

Plaz
05-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Nice. It's begging for clear sidemarkers...

I actually like ambers. :dunno:

Hercules
05-06-2007, 02:16 PM
I actually like ambers. :dunno:
I liked them when I had my black car too... never bothered to replace them.

However now that I've got a red car coming.... I am gonna get the clears :)

Sharp11
05-06-2007, 02:35 PM
No, actually I took a long drive yesterday through ME, NH, VT, and western MA, before hopping back on the Taconic to get home from eastern NY. Same landscape, pretty much, though.

That pic was taken between Waterford and Bridgeton, ME... about here. (http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=44.156739,-70.715126&spn=0.00321,0.005976&t=h&z=18&om=1)

EDIT: This (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=bath,+me&daddr=Lewiston,+ME+to%3Anorway,+me+to%3Awaterford, +me+to%3Abridgton,+me+to%3Afryeburg,+me+to%3Aconwa y,+nh+to%3Alivermore,+nh+to%3ABridgewater+Corners, +VT+to%3AWeston,+VT+to%3ABennington,+VT+to%3Agreat +barrington,+ma+to%3ANew+Vernon,+NJ&mrcr=11&sll=41.10753,-73.84734&sspn=3.451736,6.119385&ie=UTF8&ll=42.869925,-72.638855&spn=6.714949,12.23877&t=k&z=7&om=1) was pretty much my exact route yesterday.

Neat, I drove under the Taconic on route 199 east through the Red Hook, Rhinebridge area around 7pm, wonder if we just missed each other :)

I had a fabulous drive yesterday, including a stop at the original '69 Woodstock festival.

Where Hendrix once wailed, BMW's now sit...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/194/486650541_248a9e8c10_o.jpg

Below, the stage would've been to the left and the crowd on the hillside on the right.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/201/486650339_3d9e47dba0_o.jpg

Over a large reservoir in Hurley NY

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/196/486614484_6ebaff866d_o.jpg

And a sharp left up to Mohonk mountain in New Paltz....

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/219/486645379_4075acab68_o.jpg