PDA

View Full Version : Odd E90 failure tonight

TD
03-01-2007, 07:12 PM
On the way home tonight, a couple of miles from home, suddenly EVERY warning light on the dash lit. ABS, airbag, tire pressure, seatbelt and a couple of others with the little screen showing each failure in order before stopping and continuing to display ABS.

It could be my imagination, but I thought I could detect some resistance at at least one corner, as if the brakes were grabbing ever so slightly. And the turn signals quit auto-cancelling.

The turn signals were especially odd and it made me immediately suspect some sort of electrical or computer malfunction. But I didn't want to stop and restart until I got home in case it didn't restart - and since nothing seems critically problematic.

When I did get home and I shut it down and restarted, only the airbag light remained lit. I shut it off again and restarted and then, after the startup sequence was complete, none of the warning light remained lit.

So, any ideas? Does anyone know if these cars have a code reader port where I can use my Peake tool to pull any possible faults? Or am I looking at an early trip to the dealer?

bren
03-01-2007, 07:41 PM
The IceLink ipod adapter is notorious for causing pretty much that exact issue...do you have any aftermarket electronics plugged into the data bus?

AFAIK, the e36 Peake tool does not work on newer BMW's (it definitely doesn't work on the e46.)

TD
03-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Nope. No aftermarket electronics beyond having a V1 hardwired. But that can't possibly have any relation to this problem.

bren
03-01-2007, 07:58 PM
Enjoy your stay at the dealer :p

TD
03-01-2007, 08:14 PM
I've said it before that I think that anyone who actually BUYS a current model BMW is crazy. These cars are ticking time bombs with respect to expensive electrical/technical issues.

TD
03-01-2007, 08:27 PM
I just dug the owners manual out of the trunk and the combination of lights I received is not addressed. Had I had what I had LESS the airbag light, it would be a DSC failure. But throw that in and the other oddities and I think the whole computer momentarily crapped.

It is running on a version of Windows, isn't it?

lemming
03-01-2007, 08:36 PM
replete with electronics, are you really surprised?

rumatt
03-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Enjoy going to the dealer just to have them say, "Doesn't look like there's anything wrong".

clyde
03-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Enjoy going to the dealer just to have them say, "Doesn't look like there's anything wrong".
The dealer he's going to take it to will keep it a week, "fix" 30 things and give it back to him with more problems than it went in with.

Then he'll complain about here. Again. And we'll all yell at him again for taking it there. Again.

TD
03-01-2007, 10:03 PM
Honestly, right now I'm planning on waiting to see if it happens again. If it's just the computer (as I suspect) I doubt there's really anything to fix. I must have hit it with a special combination of inputs which hadn't been fully debugged. It did light up right after I took a turn ever so slightly hot, in the rain, triggering a mild DSC application.

If it doesn't come back, I am not going to worry about it. It's not like it made the car immobile.

Mr. The Edge
03-01-2007, 10:23 PM
Have you posed this question at the 'Fest? Much larger group of E90 owners there that might have had the same issue.

ff
03-01-2007, 10:45 PM
If it doesn't come back, I am not going to worry about it. It's not like it made the car immobile.

I wouldn't be taking chances with something like that. You'd hate for the car to stall in the middle lane of the highway on your commute home. At the very least, I'd have the dealer pull any error codes that might be stored.

bren
03-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Meh, he's just looking for an excuse to get the 335.

ZBB
03-02-2007, 12:05 PM
The closest thing we've experienced to this was early on with our MINI.

My wife was accelerating out of a stoplight. At about 35-40 MPH, all the warning lights flashed, and then all power cut out and the engine stoped. She threw in the clutch and pulled over -- just a bit frazzled. She was able to restart and make it home -- with no remaining warning lights. The problem never repeated.

SCA
03-06-2007, 01:05 PM
I've said it before that I think that anyone who actually BUYS a current model BMW is crazy. These cars are ticking time bombs with respect to expensive electrical/technical issues.

:+1

Exactly why my folks ditched their E65. :ack:

BTW, I do not plan to own the E90 as the warranty approaches expiration (2009).

Sharp11
03-06-2007, 02:19 PM

Exactly why my folks ditched their E65. :ack:

BTW, I do not plan to own the E90 as the warranty approaches expiration (2009).

I think this is more of a luxury car problem across the board these days, even the old stalwarts are having problems as complexity and gadgetry is on the rise - i.e., Acura and Lexus are having their share of reliability woes.

Interestingly, Infiniti seems to be doing well on the reliability front.

Ed

lemming
03-06-2007, 09:13 PM
I think this is more of a luxury car problem across the board these days, even the old stalwarts are having problems as complexity and gadgetry is on the rise - i.e., Acura and Lexus are having their share of reliability woes.

Interestingly, Infiniti seems to be doing well on the reliability front.

Ed

Lexus VPs were at the NAIAS when they were quoted as laughing and saying that their 10year old LS cars are more reliable than brand new German-mobiles.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sharp11
03-06-2007, 09:20 PM
Lexus VPs were at the NAIAS when they were quoted as laughing and saying that their 10year old LS cars are more reliable than brand new German-mobiles.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A ten year old Lex is probably more reliable than a new Lex, too. :lol:

Ed

Rob
03-07-2007, 02:15 AM
I was thinking when I read that . . . a ten year old BMW is more reliable than a new german mobile.

TD
04-09-2007, 02:59 PM
And so it begins...

Took the car in today (the oil service finally came due) and asked them to pull any fault codes. Sure enough, there was a fault in the DSC module. A new one is on order and will be installed next week.

Oh, and I managed to form a bubble in the sidewall of one of the front tires. VOB quoted me $401 installed. So I'm enduring Radial Tire again soon where they quoted me *only* ~$270 out the door.

JST
04-09-2007, 03:06 PM
Oh, and I managed to form a bubble in the sidewall of one of the front tires. VOB quoted me $401 installed. So I'm enduring Radial Tire again soon where they quoted me *only* ~$270 out the door.

Ouch.

Plaz
04-09-2007, 03:34 PM

:ack:

RFTs?

TD
04-09-2007, 03:52 PM

RFTs?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTireResults.jsp?search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&vehicleSearch=true&startIndex=0&minLoad=S&rearWidth=255%2F&frontRatio=40&frontWidth=225%2F&frontSortCode=53650&rearDiameter=18&rearSortCode=54100&frontDiameter=18&rearRatio=35&minSpeedRating=H&filterType=oe&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&RunFlat=All

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Bridgestone&tiremodel=Potenza+RE050A+Run+Flat

Nick M3
04-09-2007, 04:05 PM
And so it begins...

Took the car in today (the oil service finally came due) and asked them to pull any fault codes. Sure enough, there was a fault in the DSC module. A new one is on order and will be installed next week.

If you bring them the wheel and leave, they'll have it ready in the afternoon. :p

clyde
04-09-2007, 04:10 PM
If you bring them the wheel and leave, they'll have it ready in the afternoon. :p

But be prepared to spend up to half and hour rummaging around the shop looking for it if it's been a busy day. Leave no stone, not broken chair, untruned in your quest to find your wheel. ;)

Nick M3
04-09-2007, 04:12 PM
But be prepared to spend up to half and hour rummaging around the shop looking for it if it's been a busy day. Leave no stone, not broken chair, untruned in your quest to find your wheel. ;)
They never seem to lose my stuff. :p

ZBB
04-09-2007, 04:30 PM

RFTs?

That's why we replaced the RFTs on our MINI with standard tires and a can of fix-o-flat :dunno:

TD
04-09-2007, 04:33 PM
When I called them this morning (after declining the $400 tire from VOB), they told me they could get me the tire by this afternoon - after 1:30. So I show up at 2:30 and they basically look under every rock, bald tire, and old piece of equipment for it before giving up. What's extra frustrating is that there WAS NO LINE in the lane. It would have been a record-fast visit.

But, no...

Two places that present simply awful customer service experiences - albeit in entirely different ways - in the same day. I need a drink.

TD
04-09-2007, 04:34 PM
That's why we replaced the RFTs on our MINI with standard tires and a can of fix-o-flat :dunno:
BMW sent out a lovely mailing some months ago informing leasees that their leases must be turned in with RFTs or face damage charges.

Nick M3
04-09-2007, 04:37 PM
BMW sent out a lovely mailing some months ago informing leasees that their leases must be turned in with RFTs or face damage charges.
Which is why I will drive mine until they're just above minimum spec, curb all the wheels, and then put my own wheels on. :)

Plaz
04-09-2007, 04:56 PM
:ack: :ack:

My buddy with the E60 has already dropped $2K on new RFTs due to pothole incidents.

What a fucking scam. I'll stick with real tires until those funky air-less Michelin concept prototypes they showed off last year (or something like them) become a production reality.

Nick M3
04-09-2007, 05:01 PM
:ack: :ack:

My buddy with the E60 has already dropped $2K on new RFTs due to pothole incidents.

What a fucking scam. I'll stick with real tires until those funky air-less Michelin concept prototypes they showed off last year (or something like them) become a production reality.
Your buddy with the E60 probably drives like my Dad. If there's a pothole on the road, he'll see it, cringe, and drive into it.

Plaz
04-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Your buddy with the E60 probably drives like my Dad. If there's a pothole on the road, he'll see it, cringe, and drive into it.

:lol:

Not quite. It's more that it's too difficult for him to dodge them when he's weaving through traffic doing 120. The guy's certifiable.

I have to give him credit though, for all the shit I give him about driving like a lunatic, he's never caused an accident (that I know of) in the 20+ years I've known him.

clyde
04-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Two places that present simply awful customer service experiences - albeit in entirely different ways - in the same day. I need a drink.

I can't recall the last time that I had a poor customer experience at Radial. Of course, I've probably been there more often than anyone else on this board over the past 4 years, except Nick...

They never seem to lose my stuff. :p

...and you could probably add a zero to the end of the total $$$ I've dropped there in that time to get to Nick's tab too.

TD
04-09-2007, 05:47 PM
I can't recall the last time that I had a poor customer experience at Radial. Of course, I've probably been there more often than anyone else on this board over the past 4 years, except Nick...

...and you could probably add a zero to the end of the total $$$ I've dropped there in that time to get to Nick's tab too.
I am referring more to the ordeal. Notice I said "in entirely different ways". When it can take 4 to 5 hours to get tires and no car can exit the service area until the one in front of it is complete, it makes for a less than convenient "errand". Oh, and you kind of have to know the rules ahead of time or "no soup for you."

GSR13
04-09-2007, 08:11 PM
My E46 was two weeks when all the lights lit up on the dashboard. The car lurched forward, like someone stabbed the accelerator. Fortunately, I was almost home. Turned it off, then on and every light on the instrument panel came on and the revs started jumping up and down like mad.

Called Roadside Assistance and taken to Global, where I bought it. They determined it was a faulty wiring harness in the engine bay.

The Service Advisor that week was a mechanic, filling in, and his wife's car had the same problem. With her, however, she was on I-75 doing 70MPH when the car basically died.

Glad you got it fixed TD, and glad it wasn't something that happened that would have put you in danger!

TD
04-09-2007, 09:22 PM
My E46 was two weeks when all the lights lit up on the dashboard. The car lurched forward, like someone stabbed the accelerator. Fortunately, I was almost home. Turned it off, then on and every light on the instrument panel came on and the revs started jumping up and down like mad.

Called Roadside Assistance and taken to Global, where I bought it. They determined it was a faulty wiring harness in the engine bay.

The Service Advisor that week was a mechanic, filling in, and his wife's car had the same problem. With her, however, she was on I-75 doing 70MPH when the car basically died.

Glad you got it fixed TD, and glad it wasn't something that happened that would have put you in danger!
Oh it's not fixed yet. Would you expect the largest BMW dealer on the east coast to actually have parts in stock? Don't be silly. It goes back in next week to get the part replaced.

GSR13
04-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Oh it's not fixed yet. Would you expect the largest BMW dealer on the east coast to actually have parts in stock? Don't be silly. It goes back in next week to get the part replaced.

Nice! When my E46 went in, it took 3 weeks to get it back. They didn't have the harness, as the one in my car was updated and the new one wasn't available. Of course, I couldn't drive my car, so I was in a loaner. I had to pull teeth to get the service department to actually have BMWNA look for a revised harness from other dealers. They were more than content to just let my car sit there and wait. They found a dealer with three in stock and had one sent.

Obviously, not the largest dealer in the southeast, but Global's business is nothing to scoff at.

I am really surprised you got an E90. I was away for a bit, but you had two E36's as I recall, and not a fan of the softening of the E46. Given the appearance of the E90, I am a bit surprised to see you get one. Do you have either of the E36's?

Terri Kennedy
04-09-2007, 11:24 PM
When my E46 went in, it took 3 weeks to get it back. They didn't have the harness, as the one in my car was updated and the new one wasn't available.Looks like it is time for my public service announcement again. The magic word is "VOR". If that doesn't get a response from your service advisor, go into the service manager's office and wait while he/she calls BMWNA and says the magic word.

Once BMWNA has heard the magic word, parts should arrive wihin 3 days, even if they have to strip the part from a production line. In the very rare case when there aren't any parts (even in Germany), BMWNA should reimburse the dealer for a loaner BMW for you.

As a side note, I have my parts people trained to VOR anything I order that comes back backordered. I think I hold the record for the silliest thing ever tagged with VOR - a passenger seat lumbar switch :D

VOR = "Vehicle Off Road" - car not driveable due to missing part. The stories in this thread certainly qualify for VOR priority.

TD
04-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Please don't make me try to search bimmerfest for this answer...

My wife got the tire replaced this morning at Radial and now the tire pressure warning light is on. Did they do something wrong installing the tire, is it just underinflated, or is this "normal" and does it require clearing a fault code?

bren
04-10-2007, 12:49 PM
On the e46, the DSC system is responsible for the TPS signal. There isn't anything the installer could do wrong other than drastrically different air pressure. I assume the e90 is the same. Of course, if your DSC computer is screwy.....

Chances are you just need to reset it, which probably means cracking the manual for the procedure. :p

TD
04-10-2007, 12:53 PM
On the e46, the DSC system is responsible for the TPS signal. There isn't anything the installer could do wrong other than drastrically different air pressure. I assume the e90 is the same. Of course, if your DSC computer is screwy.....

Chances are you just need to reset it, which probably means cracking the manual for the procedure. :p
I'm not home. My wife called on the way home from Radial. The icon on the dash is apparently cryptic and she was worried that it might actually indicate something serious. From the description, I concluded it had to be the TPS indicator, a logical guess since it was just at the tire shop.

I will troubleshoot it tonight. But as the car has to go back to the dealer next week for the DSC module, if it requires their involvement, I'll have them address it then.

Sharp11
04-10-2007, 12:55 PM
Please don't make me try to search bimmerfest for this answer...

My wife got the tire replaced this morning at Radial and now the tire pressure warning light is on. Did they do something wrong installing the tire, is it just underinflated, or is this "normal" and does it require clearing a fault code?

You just need to reset it - I forget exactly how to do it, I think it requires pushing the button in for a few seconds and driving around till the system relearns the new "tire pressure".

It's in your owners manual.

Oh, and make certain your pressures are correct all around.

Ed

clyde
04-10-2007, 01:05 PM
I'm not home.

Can't you download the manual from Owners Circle?

gek330i
04-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Looks like it is just a reset that it needs: page 74.

ZBB
04-10-2007, 01:40 PM
You just need to reset it -

Ed

Yep... any time you change the tire pressure, you need to reset the TPS system so it won't give a failure.

TD
04-10-2007, 01:59 PM
I actually looked it up a while ago (but after that post). No biggie.

I'll reset it tonight. I'd have my wife reset it, but I want to add a bit more air to that tire first. She checked it and it's only at 35 psi.

Plaz
04-10-2007, 02:10 PM
I actually looked it up a while ago (but after that post). No biggie.

I'll reset it tonight. I'd have my wife reset it, but I want to add a bit more air to that tire first. She checked it and it's only at 35 psi.

I think we'll discover unicorns frolicking on the moon before my wife ever checks a tire's pressure. :lol:

rumatt
04-10-2007, 02:13 PM
I think we'll discover unicorns frolicking on the moon before my wife ever checks a tire's pressure. :lol:

Although my wife has participated in 2 autocrosses. I'll bet I have you beat there.

Sharp11
04-10-2007, 02:15 PM

Can you imagine?

"We interrupt this regularly scheduled press conference in which every member of the girls rutgers basketball team gets a forum to discuss Don Imus's comments with this breaking news, unicorns have been found frolicking on the moon - Plaz's wife to check air pressure - more news to follow"

:lol:

Ed

clyde
04-10-2007, 04:02 PM

Although my wife has participated in 2 autocrosses. I'll bet I have you beat there.
Mine has done four or five. She even spun once.

TD
04-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Well, truth be told, by the time I got home she had taken it to the neighborhood Amoco and had put air in that tire and the others so that they were all at exactly 38 psi.

Now we both had to mess around with the computer inside the car for a few minutes trying to figure out how to reset the indicator. Since we both seem to have an RTFM aversion, it took a few tries before I realized that we had to press AND HOLD the button on the end of the turn signal stalk (after selecting TPM Init from the menu) for many seconds to get the TPM to initialize.

It's all better now, except my wallet is $263 lighter. :eek:

Sharp11
04-10-2007, 11:40 PM
Well, truth be told, by the time I got home she had taken it to the neighborhood Amoco and had put air in that tire and the others so that they were all at exactly 38 psi.

You'd think the shop that put the new tire on would've walked around the car and made certain all the tires were properly inflated - it takes a few minutes with the gear they have. :dunno:

Lazy bums....

Ed

Terri Kennedy
04-11-2007, 12:11 AM
... made certain all the tires were improperly inflated...Fixed your post :D