PDA

View Full Version : E28 M5 post electrical fire

clyde
10-14-2003, 02:31 PM
http://www.roadfly.org/bmw/classifieds/cars/detview.php?view=20210&sortby=&dir=

Short version: 1988 M5 that had an electrical fire. Seller says it needs three wiring harnesses that would go for about $1k from BMW. It would also need some dash parts (including a climate control assembly and glove box). Asking price is $6k.

Is it worth investigating?

TD
10-14-2003, 02:35 PM
There's two ways of looking at this:

1- Annapolis isn't far away. Why not take a look. You may end up with an E28 M5 (which you've lusted for for a long time) on teh cheap.

2- If it was really that cheap and easy to fix, why isn't it fixed and being sold for full market value?

Take your pick.

lip277
10-14-2003, 02:40 PM
There's two ways of looking at this:

....snip....

2- If it was really that cheap and easy to fix, why isn't it fixed and being sold for full market value?

Take your pick.

That would be my concern as well. These cars are plentiful enough to find another one and .... $6k is not really that much of a bargain when you look at the whole picture.

And then - Who knows what else is wrong? It could be an expensive way to get a car by the time you add up all the issues (both in time and money)

IMO anyway....

clyde
10-14-2003, 02:47 PM

IME, replacing wiring harnesses has never been easy, and certainly not cheap if paying someone else to do it for you.

If the price estimate on the harnesses is accurate, and guesstimating for the other parts that likely need to be replaced, the cost of car and parts would be a little less than what I would expect of that car in the described condition without the damage.

I guess what I was looking for was whether anyone had experience with a car that had been fixed after a similar incident.

clyde
10-14-2003, 02:50 PM
These cars are plentiful enough to find another one and .... $6k is not really that much of a bargain when you look at the whole picture.

There are few enough that it's tough to find decent ones...particularly ones that are local.

And then - Who knows what else is wrong? It could be an expensive way to get a car by the time you add up all the issues (both in time and money)

Which is my fear.

dredmo
10-14-2003, 03:00 PM
I'd rather wait, and even spend a little more money for a clean car myself.

lip277
10-14-2003, 03:04 PM
These cars are plentiful enough to find another one and .... $6k is not really that much of a bargain when you look at the whole picture.

There are few enough that it's tough to find decent ones...particularly ones that are local.

Which is my fear.

I guess that is a matter of 'perception' of what is local- I've been looking all up and down the west coast for my Coupe, so... I guess my definition of 'local' is skewed....

It's still a crap-shoot though as to what else you would find once you't get into it.

But on the other hand.... (don't you hate it when someone says that?)
If it's cheap enough and you have the time and you have the money and you have the space and you have the ability & patience - It could be a fun project.... :)

clyde
10-14-2003, 03:08 PM

Been waiting for over a year already. :cry:

I'd probably be willing to spend $12-13k on the right one, but I haven't found it found it locally yet. Less than 1,000 of them ever came to the US.

dredmo
10-14-2003, 03:11 PM

Been waiting for over a year already. :cry:

I'd probably be willing to spend $12-13k on the right one, but I haven't found it found it locally yet. Less than 1,000 of them ever came to the US.

Well, to me, wiring harness is fun and easy stuff, but that is my craft.

It can be a pain in the ass if you have to replace every grommet, reseal and ground every bulkhead punch-through.... well, let's just say it can be a pain.

What about the Cobra Kit? :twisted:

kognito
10-14-2003, 08:15 PM
Well, to me, wiring harness is fun and easy stuff, but that is my craft.

It can be a pain in the ass if you have to replace every grommet, reseal and ground every bulkhead punch-through.... well, let's just say it can be a pain.

a little patients is all it takes, something seems a little funny though. . . If the guy had "it" in for suspension repairs, and the fire happened during a test drive, wouldn't the shop doing the suspension work have to repair the fire damage???

Just sounds a little "fishy"

operknockity
10-14-2003, 09:22 PM
If the guy had "it" in for suspension repairs, and the fire happened during a test drive, wouldn't the shop doing the suspension work have to repair the fire damage???

If something they did while doing the repairs or during the test drive that was the cause of the fire, then they'd have to do the repair on their own dime. If it was in no way related to anything they did, then I don't think they'd be liable. But proving it was their fault might be tough unless it was directly related to the suspension work.

clyde
10-14-2003, 09:24 PM

That's still on the menu, but a while off. I'm still planning out what I want to do, but I've decided that I won't pursue it until I'm back in CA...whenever I can make that happen.

dredmo
10-14-2003, 09:46 PM

That's still on the menu, but a while off. I'm still planning out what I want to do, but I've decided that I won't pursue it until I'm back in CA...whenever I can make that happen.

When it does happen, I'd like to buy ya a beer to help Christen it.

clyde
10-14-2003, 11:06 PM

It's all weird, and I doubt that I would seriously consider it, but the idea still intrigues me. I may send an email tomorrow.

clyde
10-14-2003, 11:07 PM
When it does happen, I'd like to buy ya a beer to help Christen it.

Sounds good. 8)

blee
10-15-2003, 11:41 PM
There's no harm in investigating. FWIW, it's better to pay rock-bottom for a car with known issues than to pay a reasonable price for a car that has an unknown major issue.

clyde
10-15-2003, 11:46 PM
There's no harm in investigating. FWIW, it's better to pay rock-bottom for a car with known issues than to pay a reasonable price for a car that has an unknown major issue.

Who would ever pay a reasonable price for a car with an unknown major issue? :scratch:

Seriously, I agree. I should email him.

blee
10-16-2003, 12:03 AM
Who would ever pay a reasonable price for a car with an unknown major issue? :scratch:

Seriously, I agree. I should email him.

:mad:

Definitely take a look at the car. If it's really as decent as he says it is, it may be worth a shot. Hell, even if you give up, you can probably sell it for zero loss. Or a small loss.

Bimmer ese
10-16-2003, 08:23 AM
Clyde, I'd say no on the deal. I'm sure there may be some components that were shorted out (ECU, misc sensors) due to the melted harnesses, since the bare wires were exposed from the insulation meltdown and probably made contact with each other.

Daniel

blee
10-16-2003, 10:24 AM
Clyde, I'd say no on the deal. I'm sure there may be some components that were shorted out (ECU, misc sensors) due to the melted harnesses, since the bare wires were exposed from the insulation meltdown and probably made contact with each other.

Daniel

Probably. But $6000, probably less, for an otherwise well-maintained E28 M5 isn't bad. You would have to budget a couple thousand to get it back into shape, but that still isn't a bad deal at all.