PDA

View Full Version : WoW Really only $34K and 31K miles

Theo
02-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Are E39 M5's really falling that low?

This appears to be a great example with Nav and the sport comfort seats.

Thats a really good price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-BMW-M5-PAMPERED-LOW-MILES-THE-NICEST-AROUND_W0QQitemZ260089317248QQihZ016QQcategoryZ133 182QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Theo
02-21-2007, 05:38 PM
That's actually kind of expensive.

This car is worth 29K tops in actual transaction, not owner fantasy land called m5board.com

I wouldn't touch anything older than 02 anyway. 00 and 01 has various Vanos, carbon build up, oil burning problems.

Hmm interesting. I recently drove a friends while I was down in LA for the first time. I liked it a lot. Not a corner demon but for the street plently good enough.

Theo
02-21-2007, 05:46 PM
Our sedan perspective list is down to the E39 M5 and the CTSV, but that won't actually happen for a while.

Do you know what normal tune ups run for the M5's V8? Is it something stupid?

Theo
02-21-2007, 05:51 PM
Valve adjustment cost the same on the E46 M3 and the E39 M5. Ok, maybe a little more, but you have this extra expense.

The oil service and inspection 1/2 are within reason, which is to say, a few hundred for the oil service, and less than 700 for inspection 2.

Why, you buying?

Always looking. Currently the E39 M5 and the yet to be released G8 interest me. I am no longer interested in the E46 I have and if I want a fat pig I might as well go all the way.

After all I still have the E36 to putz around in.

Theo
03-27-2007, 12:23 AM
Even better!! I realllly like this combo.

The imola and the black/wood combo with nav.

I would just switch out the rims with the M parrelles from the 540i sport and call it a day.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-M5-35K-M-Sound-PDC-Clean-Wrnty-Free-Ship-w-Buy-Now_W0QQitemZ150104919080QQcategoryZ133182QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

I got my 99 with around 40K on the clock. Maybe its time to start over again. =P

JST
03-27-2007, 08:35 AM
Even better!! I realllly like this combo.

The imola and the black/wood combo with nav.

I would just switch out the rims with the M parrelles from the 540i sport and call it a day.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-M5-35K-M-Sound-PDC-Clean-Wrnty-Free-Ship-w-Buy-Now_W0QQitemZ150104919080QQcategoryZ133182QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

I got my 99 with around 40K on the clock. Maybe its time to start over again. =P

With the release of the E90 335, the E39 M5 has lost all of its appeal for me.

JST
05-21-2007, 08:43 AM
LSD.:ack: :)

Not difficult to add, especially for someone who is considering crazy weird Alpina and M5 grey market cars.

John V
05-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Not difficult to add, especially for someone who is considering crazy weird Alpina and M5 grey market cars.

If buying and installing a big brake kit is too much work, do you seriously think he'd consider an LSD?

Theo
09-22-2007, 04:47 PM
MAN this is one clean sweet E34!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991-BMW-E34-M5-Dinan-Tuned-MINT-LOW-MILES_W0QQitemZ170149853617QQcmdZViewItem?hash=ite m170149853617

TD
09-22-2007, 05:19 PM
With the release of the E90 335, the E39 M5 has lost all of its appeal for me.
The only thing is that the E39 M5 will always be beautiful. The E90 will never be.

Theo
09-22-2007, 05:21 PM
The only thing is that the E39 M5 will always be beautiful. The E90 will never be.

Yup

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Le-Mans-Blue-M5-Only-38-547-miles-PRIVATE-OWNER_W0QQitemZ280152469138QQcmdZViewItem?hash=ite m280152469138

TD
09-22-2007, 05:30 PM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231968

Theo
09-22-2007, 05:53 PM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231968

HOLY CRAP I WANT THAT.

TD
09-22-2007, 05:56 PM
HOLY CRAP I WANT THAT.
So do I but it's:

A- A LOT of money for a 6 year old car and

B- Pretty far away from me

Aerials
09-23-2007, 02:45 AM

So true. I have always loved the e39, let alone the M version of it.:D

Rob
09-24-2007, 12:09 PM
I so didn't need to see that add and realize it's in my town. *sigh*

No more car purchases for me this year, but . . . that's tough to not go and at least check out.

TD, buy it. I will drive it to you, np. I just can't leave until about a month after the baby is born, but I will garage it until then for you.

lupinsea
09-26-2007, 12:37 PM
I didn't read the whole dissertation on the car but why was the front roundel debadged? (http://www.chartersventures.com/car/bencoupe/m5/clean/clean-09.jpg)

TD
09-26-2007, 12:43 PM
I didn't read the whole dissertation on the car but why was the front roundel debadged? (http://www.chartersventures.com/car/bencoupe/m5/clean/clean-09.jpg)

As I mentioned, I spent four days detailing the car in early September. I used to do professional car detailing, so I decided that before I put the M5 up for sale I would give it one last good detailing. I started with a thorough washing with Meguiars soap, followed by a claybar treatment using Griots Garage clay. Incidentally, of all the clays I’ve ever tried, Griots has impressed me the most. I won’t use anything but Griots clay on my cars. After claying, the car was spot polished with 3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compound to take out any heavy scratching, then I polished the entire car with Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner Polish. Finally I polished the car with Klasse All-In-One for a lasting acrylic polymer coating.

Before starting I removed all trim from the car. The four corner trims on the bumpers were cleaned with Griots Garage Dried On Wax Remover and a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I then treated them with Mother’s Back To Black. The door mouldings weren’t perfect enough to put back on the car, so I ordered new door mouldings from the dealership and put them on after the polishing was complete. At this time I replaced the front BMW emblem (Roundel), as it showed some minor spiderwebbing in its clearcoat. I also cleaned and conditioned the leather with Lexol two-step cleaner and conditioner, as well as treating all vinyl surfaces with 303 Aerospace Protectant. Finally, I replaced the floormats with brand new OEM mats from the dealer.

:loco:

Plaz
09-26-2007, 01:19 PM
The E39 rear is generically unremarkable, and the nose is clunky and ugly. I think they look even more fat-piggish than they really are. The E34 was a much better looking design, IMO.

Theo
06-02-2008, 06:24 PM
For Stuka. I know you are going to say over priced but 16,400 miles. Its just broken in.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=245344671&dealer_id=62682893&car_year=2002&model=M5&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=2002&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=used&distance=0&marketZipError=false&color3=&color2=&search_lang=en&make=BMW&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=45000&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=94903&advanced=y&end_year=2003&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=2676&rdpage=thumb

Theo
06-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Does he think he has an F car or something?:?:lol:

40 plus thousand dollars for a 2002 M5, a 2002!? WTF!?

Shoulda driven the car and sell it at a normal price.:rolleyes:

Just as a note is there anyway to see what has sold latly on these sites. Just want to see what people are actaully getting for these cars.

What ARE you willing to pay Stuka?

Theo
06-02-2008, 07:45 PM
33K max for a less than 40K 2003 with pristine paint and everything in working order, no clutch BS, no half used tires, no CEL, nothing.

There are definetly some of those out there. You may have to have them shipped but they are there. Not in Ca though.

ZBB
06-02-2008, 08:18 PM
It just takes longer for CA folks to get the message about price, but it's heading that way.

:lol:
A very good friend of mine used to have a business taking advantage of used car market arbitrage. Kept him well paid from ~'94 to '99.

He had a wholesale dealers license from AZ, buy cars in NY and NJ, and sell them in Phoenix, LA, San Francisco and Seattle. He mostly did Volvos since they had the highest margins for some reason, but he also would do the occasionall BMW, Mercedes or Toyota Supra or MR2. He'd have anwhere from 5-15 cars a month, and make $500-$1k per car. He had one additional employee that covered SF and Seattle, but most of the profit went to him...

Then in '99, the market dried up for him -- margins dropped to under $500 per car, so he closed up shop.

Theo
07-03-2008, 02:20 PM
A sneek peek. Should be here next week. =)

Shipping this sunday.

Theo
07-03-2008, 02:52 PM
Nice!

Is Premier doing your clearbra?

I told the mrs that if we see a good 03 with the right color combo and mileage, we should get the process started.

If I do get one done it will be Premier. Not sure till I see the front up close. The seller sent me at least 40 pics I reuqested of every part of the car. The front has normal rock chip ware so I need to assess that before I decide on the bra.

I feel like it was a pretty good deal on an 03. Low miles, one owner and extended full coverage warrenty till 2012 or 100K.

After about a year of looking this one finally caught my eye.

Theo
07-04-2008, 02:00 PM
A year, damn, I guess I better start getting really serious.:eek:

Did you notice the start date of this thread. More than a year.

ZBB
07-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Congrats! Welcome to E39 ownership!

Since its an '03, you can add Bluetooth and Sirius or XM very easily -- that was the first year both were options on E39s. I added BT and XM to my '03 530 shortly after getting it -- and since I may order something new this fall, I may be open to parting it out fairly soon...

Theo
07-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Congrats! Welcome to E39 ownership!

Since its an '03, you can add Bluetooth and Sirius or XM very easily -- that was the first year both were options on E39s. I added BT and XM to my '03 530 shortly after getting it -- and since I may order something new this fall, I may be open to parting it out fairly soon...

Hey thanks. Please keep me in mind if you want part with the Bluetooth module. That was going to be one of my first buys. If I can get it used even better. How well do you think it works? Any reviews would be great.

ZBB
07-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Hey thanks. Please keep me in mind if you want part with the Bluetooth module. That was going to be one of my first buys. If I can get it used even better. How well do you think it works? Any reviews would be great.

I bought a used BT ULF module off of eBay -- got if for under $250, vs over $500 new. I then bought the install kit for the 5er (was about $130 with a CCA discount at my dealer), which includes the BT antenna, a replacement tray for the armrest that has the pairing button, the microphone and a couple other things like clips and nuts to connect the ULF to the stereo rack in the trunk, and the install manual. Install is fairly easy as a DIY -- about an hour total (worst part is tightening the nights on the ULF -- its a tight space to work in). You're supposed to have to then take it in to the dealer to have it activated -- but mine worked without having to do that.

One thing to look out for is that some of the early ULFs had various issues. When I was buying mine, I was able to find one that was newer, but not the newest hardware version for about $50 more than the ones that were known to have issues. To get the latest version, I had to buy from someplace online, which would have doubled the price.

As for review, overall it works fairly well. Sound quality is great (and I've used it with 3 phones since getting it). One thing I had read is that BMW brought out a replacement microphone to improve how you sound -- but I have the original (I get some complaints that I can't be heard very well -- but I mostly use it to join conference calls on the way in to work, so I'm mostly listening instead of talking, so I haven't spent the extra ~$60 on a new microphone).

SCA
07-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Congrats! I was actually looking at E39 M5s this morning. Very tempting...

Theo
07-06-2008, 01:32 PM
I bought a used BT ULF module off of eBay -- got if for under $250, vs over $500 new. I then bought the install kit for the 5er (was about $130 with a CCA discount at my dealer), which includes the BT antenna, a replacement tray for the armrest that has the pairing button, the microphone and a couple other things like clips and nuts to connect the ULF to the stereo rack in the trunk, and the install manual. Install is fairly easy as a DIY -- about an hour total (worst part is tightening the nights on the ULF -- its a tight space to work in). You're supposed to have to then take it in to the dealer to have it activated -- but mine worked without having to do that.

One thing to look out for is that some of the early ULFs had various issues. When I was buying mine, I was able to find one that was newer, but not the newest hardware version for about $50 more than the ones that were known to have issues. To get the latest version, I had to buy from someplace online, which would have doubled the price.

As for review, overall it works fairly well. Sound quality is great (and I've used it with 3 phones since getting it). One thing I had read is that BMW brought out a replacement microphone to improve how you sound -- but I have the original (I get some complaints that I can't be heard very well -- but I mostly use it to join conference calls on the way in to work, so I'm mostly listening instead of talking, so I haven't spent the extra ~$60 on a new microphone).

Thanks for all the good info and please let me know if you want to sell the complete kit.

The unit in my E46 workred fairly well also so I was expecting much of the same.

Theo
07-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Congrats! I was actually looking at E39 M5s this morning. Very tempting...

Hey thanks. I have been searching for quite sometime. The prices for 03's finally got to a level I was ok with.

It ships today from Tn and we should see late this week. I am a little worried about the upkeep of carbon black but its not going to be a daily driver so hopefully not to bad.

Do you still have the M3?

SCA
07-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Hey thanks. I have been searching for quite sometime. The prices for 03's finally got to a level I was ok with.

It ships today from Tn and we should see late this week. I am a little worried about the upkeep of carbon black but its not going to be a daily driver so hopefully not to bad.

Do you still have the M3?

Oh yeah? Where in TN? I could have checked it out for you if it was close.

Yes, I do. Well, BMW still has it.

Theo
07-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Oh yeah? Where in TN? I could have checked it out for you if it was close.

Yes, I do. Well, BMW still has it.

It was in Collierville actually. Hopefully already picked up. I forgot you lived there otherwise I might have asked. How's the value holding on the M?

SCA
07-06-2008, 02:30 PM
It was in collierville actually. Hopefully already picked up. I forgot you lived there otherwise I might have asked. How's the value holding on the M?

Memphis area = a good 6 hours from me.

Pretty good!

Theo
07-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Well now I am currently car less.

The new owner of my now former E36 convertible drove into the nice 80 something degree evening with the top down about 30 min ago.

He was the first guy to see it bought it the same week.

I was a little sad seeing it go. October would have been 5 great years with that car. It was an awesome experiance that I rarely get with a car.

In the end it was getting pretty old and starting to be a pain to upkeep. It had just recently flipped to 80K and still ran perfect.

I will miss that car.

SCA
07-11-2008, 08:45 PM
When is the M5 showing up? I am ready for some pics! :)

Theo
07-11-2008, 09:05 PM
When is the M5 showing up? I am ready for some pics! :)

LOL. Intercity just called this afternoon actually. Between like 200 to 400 PM Sunday.

JST
07-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Well now I am currently car less.

The new owner of my now former E36 convertible drove into the nice 80 something degree evening with the top down about 30 min ago.

He was the first guy to see it bought it the same week.

I was a little sad seeing it go. October would have been 5 great years with that car. It was an awesome experiance that I rarely get with a car.

In the end it was getting pretty old and starting to be a pain to upkeep. It had just recently flipped to 80K and still ran perfect.

I will miss that car.

Hope he enjoys his strut tower bar...

TD
07-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Hope he enjoys his strut tower bar...
LOL. That thing sure got around.

Theo
07-11-2008, 09:41 PM
LOL. That thing sure got around.

Totally. It really did make a big difference though.

Theo
07-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Well she ariived today and I must say she is a beauty. Even under a think layer of trailer dust from being on the truck for a week.

The front does have a little more rock damage on the bumper then I would have liked, The hood is not to bad with I would say about 6 or 7 nice sized chips I need to touch up.

I think I will end up (be quiet Stuka) getting the whole bumper cap resprayed eventually then fully wrapped in a clear bra by premier. Only the bumper though and not the hood.

Besides that there are two door dings I need to get the dent doctor to stop by for and thats it.

The rest of the car is DAM nice. The interior except for some normal very minor ware on the driver bolster is just beautiful. I was a little worried about the silverstone with the grey inserts but in person in combination with the titanium trim its very sporty and very nice.

I can tell you this interior I feel is still SO much better then the E60. Classic BMW.

Another thing I noticed was how perfect the rims are. When I inquired with the original owner (I had to call him to tell him it arrived so he could cancel his insurance) he said about a year and a half ago when he had the current set of PS2's put on, the shop horribly scratched three of the four rims. After a big blow up the shop agreed to replace three of them and the owner bought the fourth so they would all match.

Curently I can only find one quarter inch mark on the back passenger one maybe from a slight parallel parking bump to the curb. They look perfect with no scratches or baked in brake dust damage.

So far only we had only about 10 minutes of seat time becasue there is no plate. Man that V8 pulls. Put an ear to ear grin on both our faces. The suspension is very buttoned down to as we did at least attack one cloverleaf.

Pics to come after next weekends detail. So far loving it.

We did a quick exterior wash and a total interior deatil. We are going to do a full exterior detail next weekend with the portal cable when we have move time.

More to come.

SCA
07-13-2008, 09:46 PM
Well she ariived today and I must say she is a beauty. Even under a think layer of trailer dust from being on the truck for a week.

The front does have a little more rock damage on the bumper then I would have liked, The hood is not to bad with I would say about 6 or 7 nice sized chips I need to touch up.

I think I will end up (be quiet Stuka) getting the whole bumper cap resprayed eventually then fully wrapped in a clear bra by premier. Only the bumper though and not the hood.

Besides that there are two door dings I need to get the dent doctor to stop by for and thats it.

The rest of the car is DAM nice. The interior except for some normal very minor ware on the driver bolster is just beautiful. I was a little worried about the silverstone with the grey inserts but in person in combination with the titanium trim its very sporty and very nice.

I can tell you this interior I feel is still SO much better then the E60. Classic BMW.

Aonther thing I noticed was how perfect the rims are. When I inquired with the original owner (I had to call him to tell him it arrived so he could cancel his insurance) he said about a year and a half ago when he had the current set of PS2's put on, the shop horribly scratched three of the four rims. After a big blow up the shop agreed to replace three of them and the owner bought the fourth so they would all match.

Curently I can only find one quarter inch mark on the back passenger one maybe from a slight parallel parking bump to the curb. They look perfect with no scratches or baked in brake dust damage.

So far only we had only about 10 minutes of seat time becasue there is no plate. Man that V8 pulls. Put an ear to ear grin on both our faces. The suspension is very buttoned down to as we did at least attack one cloverleaf.

Pics to come after next weekends detail. So far loving it.

We did a quick exterior wash and a total interior deatil. We are going to do a full exterior detail weekend with the portal cable when we have move time.

More to come.

Congrats again! Looking forward to reading more details and seeing those pics.

Theo
07-16-2008, 04:48 PM
Ok with the DSC off second gear scratches are TO easy. Not even trying to do it. That is all.

Theo
07-21-2008, 08:29 PM
So after one long week and some needed detail work here it is.

Thanks to everyone esp Stuka over the last year for all the info during my search.

So far I love every minute of it. The car is very solid, well built and the ultimate cruzer. I have no idea what fifth and sixth gear are for since it happily does 70 in third.

So far only a set of UUC mufflers planned in the near term. Did a nav update to version 31 mostly to get the birdseye view from version 26.

I do miss the convertable a little but I dont miss the E46 at all.

Theo
07-22-2008, 09:51 AM
That's so pretty.:eek:

Are you getting the BMW trunk grocery hooks?

And this?

http://www.bimmernav.com/store/catalog/bmw-bluetooth-kit-for-5-series-199703-e39-usa-andeuro-030203-item-90.html

Thanks Stuka.

The PO already had the cargo net in the trunk. It's a nice to have for sure.

As for the bluetooth kit, I am going to try and wait till Oct and see if ZBB is willing to part with his set up. =)

SCA
07-27-2008, 01:30 PM
It looks great! I really like the interior color combo.

Theo
07-28-2008, 01:57 PM
It looks great! I really like the interior color combo.

Thanks SCA. I was not sure abut the titanium trim becasue the aluminum trim I had in my 01 330ci was crap. This trim on the other hand at least looks the part so much better then just cheap plastic. The two tone also spices things up a little.

Josh (PA)
07-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Please keep us informed as to the upkeep $$$ over the next few months. An E39 m5 is tremendously tempting to me. I need you to be the voice of reason that reminds me how expensive v8 e39s are to maintain. :eeps:

Edit: Forgot to say congratulations on an absolutely beautiful car. I'd also be interested in your thoughts on your e36 m3c after a little time has passed. I spent hours over the weekend detailing mine up and was very happy with the results and the follow up evening top down drive.

equ
07-28-2008, 08:43 PM
This green 01 owned by some bmw nut went for 20k. :eek:

http://njbmwcca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2814

Theo
07-28-2008, 10:46 PM
I am looking for the following three combo:

Imola/Carmel

Steel Gray/Carmel

Steel gray/Black

2003 with less than 45K miles

Pain in the ass.

I thought dark grey was only offered in the 2000 model year?

Theo
07-28-2008, 11:36 PM
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=244556072&dealer_id=62606531&car_year=2003&model=M5&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=2003&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=BMW&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=60000&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=90024&advanced=y&end_year=2003&doors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=&cardist=2582

Ahh thats sterling not steel grey. Its much more gold to me in person. We looked at a couple in that color. Very low key and easiest color to find the carmel interior in.

The 2000 color I was thinking of is Anthracite. A very dark grey.

SCA
07-29-2008, 07:17 PM
Please keep us informed as to the upkeep $$$ over the next few months. An E39 m5 is tremendously tempting to me. I need you to be the voice of reason that reminds me how expensive v8 e39s are to maintain. :eeps:

+1

I am also considering one. Would dump the E90.

I like Le Mans & Imola.

This one is not bad, but the mileage is more than I care for. http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=247321525

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=244556072&dealer_id=62606531&car_year=2003&model=M5&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=2003&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=BMW&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=60000&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=90024&advanced=y&end_year=2003&doors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=&cardist=2582

Other than being in Mass what is wrong with this one?

Theo
07-29-2008, 09:08 PM
+1

I am also considering one. Would dump the E90.

I like Le Mans & Imola.

We almost went for Imola but decided it would draw to much attention. Not bad if you are looking for that. =)

We wanted le mans but could not find one for the price and condition we wanted.

We also considered sterling but eventually thought it was to sedate. Very cool color though.

It came down to carbon or lemans and we found the carbon one first. I think I still like le mans better.

Dont you think the carmel is going to be a nightmare to upkeep? I swore after having dove in the E36 I did not want to deal with full light colored leather again.

Josh (PA)
07-29-2008, 09:20 PM
We almost went for Imola but decided it would draw to much attention. Not bad if you are looking for that. =)

We wanted le mans but could not find one for the price and condition we wanted.

We also considered sterling but eventually thought it was to sedate. Very cool color though.

It came down to carbon or lemans and we found the carbon one first. I think I still like le mans better.

Dont you think the carmel is going to be a nightmare to upkeep? I swore after having dove in the E36 I did not want to deal with full light colored leather again.

My experience with 2 dove cars is dove is much more of an upkeep nightmare than anything else. I've had tan and black and tan isn't bad to keep clean at all. Dove is in a whole other world when it comes to dirt.

Theo
07-29-2008, 09:22 PM
My experience with 2 dove cars is dove is much more of an upkeep nightmare than anything else. I've had tan and black and tan isn't bad to keep clean at all. Dove is in a whole other world when it comes to dirt.

You got that right. Esp in a convert. One thing I am happy about with selling the E36. Never ever again.

SCA
07-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Le Mans Blue is my 1st choice, but I am also waffling between a '01/'02 996.

equ
07-30-2008, 07:58 AM
Definitely some difference between 01 and 02 996's. I had an 01.

BTW, for about 40k, so a little more than what the 996's will be going for, I would highly recommend any porsche 05+, the interior, seats, etc are much improved. I hated taking my 01 on a long trip or in bad weather or at night, due to 2ndary controls being crappy.

Also, it's a good idea to have a 2nd car when you have a porsche. Either keep the 330i (which I'm more and more in love with as a daily) or have some other car. You could also go the JV route and get a 986S.

zach
07-30-2008, 09:38 AM

BTW, for about 40k, so a little more than what the 996's will be going for, I would highly recommend any porsche 05+, the interior, seats, etc are much improved. I hated taking my 01 on a long trip or in bad weather or at night, due to 2ndary controls being crappy.

Also, it's a good idea to have a 2nd car when you have a porsche. Either keep the 330i (which I'm more and more in love with as a daily) or have some other car. You could also go the JV route and get a 986S.

Can you really get into a 997 for $40k now?

FC
07-30-2008, 09:52 AM

No chance. Even a base is at least 50K.

SCA
07-30-2008, 10:15 AM

Really? I am clueless as to what the differences might be.

I have never been all the fond of the interior in the 996. I much prefer the interior and exterior styling of the 997. I am especially fond of the '09 face-lift. The purchase price is a factor, which is why I began looking at the 01/02's. Sadly, those that I have seen have higher mileage than I prefer and listed for around $40k. The August NADA arrived yesterday and it states a clean '03 should retail for $34,300. That is a number I can live with, but the problem will be locating one in clean condition for that amount. What really boggles my mind is an '04 is $11,625 more than an '03. :eek: Maybe someone here knows why and can enlighten me? The book value for an '05 = $57.6k, way out of my ball park.

I do have a second vehicle for daily driving duties which is what has lead me to consider unloading the 330 for an E39 M5 or a 996 911. If I am going to own a vehicle that I occasionally drive then it should be something that I greatly enjoy on the days that I do. Don't get me wrong, I love the 330 every time I get behind the wheel, but I would prefer something a little more sporty and with a bit more power.

BTW, sorry for hijacking.

Theo
07-30-2008, 10:49 AM
Really? I am clueless as to what the differences might be.

I have never been all the fond of the interior in the 996. I much prefer the interior and exterior styling of the 997. I am especially fond of the '09 face-lift. The purchase price is a factor, which is why I began looking at the 01/02's. Sadly, those that I have seen have higher mileage than I prefer and listed for around $40k. The August NADA arrived yesterday and it states a clean '03 should retail for $34,300. That is a number I can live with, but the problem will be locating one in clean condition for that amount. What really boggles my mind is an '04 is $11,625 more than an '03. :eek: Maybe someone here knows why and can enlighten me? The book value for an '05 = $57.6k, way out of my ball park.

I do have a second vehicle for daily driving duties which is what has lead me to consider unloading the 330 for an E39 M5 or a 996 911. If I am going to own a vehicle that I occasionally drive then it should be something that I greatly enjoy on the days that I do. Don't get me wrong, I love the 330 every time I get behind the wheel, but I would prefer something a little more sporty and with a bit more power.

BTW, sorry for hijacking.

HA hijack away please. This tread is over a year old.

I am not sure what the huge draw of the Pcar is. I need to drive one some day. My ex boss has a really nice black 993 that I rode in a few times. Nice car for sure but did not push my buttons. Now a nice 997S would proabably change my mind for sure.

I guess the price has always been the deterent for me.

I can stomach the 03 04 interior in the boxster but in the 911 no way.

equ
07-30-2008, 10:58 AM

If you read carefully, I said any 05+ porsche, meaning the mid-engined ones. It's not like they're incomparable to the 911. I'd personally take a base 05 boxster over my 01 996. But then again, I've never had a boxster before.

zach
07-30-2008, 11:02 AM
If you read carefully, I said any 05+ porsche, meaning the mid-engined ones. It's not like they're incomparable to the 911. I'd personally take a base 05 boxster over my 01 996. But then again, I've never had a boxster before.

Ah you are right. It was probably just wishful thinking on my part.

Sharp11
07-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Ah you are right. It was probably just wishful thinking on my part.

I picked up one of those cars for sale papers in the local market the other day.

One of the local Porsche dealers had a boatload of late, low mileage Boxsters for sale in the high 30's, low 40's range.

Good deals, actually.

Ed

SCA
07-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Prices on the 05/06 Boxsters are reasonable, but I have no desire to own another roadster/convertible. A Cayman is too much.

Eric Giles
08-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Damn Sean-where did all this E39 M5 interest come from?!? I had no idea you were even considering one.

Eric Giles
08-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Not that I would be doing that mod, but curiously, how much is the euro bumper with brake duct openings?
This is coming directly from a post on m5board.com on what parts are needed:

51 11 2 496 285 - Grill with air openings
51 41 8 201 057 - clips to secure grille to bumper (12)
51 11 7 890 013 - air duct Left
51 11 7 890 014 - air duct right

You then have two choices regarding the channeling the air thru the fender liners. You can either take a utility knife and cut the required opening in the existing M5 fender liner, or you can order the standard fender liners from a 540i that already has the openings in place. This is what I have gathered from reading writeups that other people have made, not my own experience. I personally am not sure that the standard 540i fender liner will bolt up correctly to the bottom of the M5 bumper, but using the fender liners that were available with the M Technic M5 look-alike bumpers should work without issue-and have the holes already there.

Eric Giles
08-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Right year, exact color combo.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=248691564&dealer_id=57371457&car_year=2003&model=M5&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=2002&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&color2=&search_lang=en&make=BMW&keywords_display=&color=RED&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=90024&advanced=y&end_year=2003&doors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=&cardist=1952&rdpage=thumb

Too bad the miles are too high and no split rear seats.
Yes...I would have loved to been able to get one in Imola, but since I just happened to find mine at the local auction I didn't have much choice. I will say that Lemans Blue has really grown on me since I bought it.

stuka, one word of caution that you may already be aware of-the caramel leather interiors on these cars does not hold up well to wear for some reason. They start to fade and crack much sooner than the other colors. Otherwise, it is a beautiful interior color combination.

SCA
08-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Damn Sean-where did all this E39 M5 interest come from?!? I had no idea you were even considering one.

In part to your enthusiasm for yours. I do not know if I could afford the maintenance (dealer) though.

BTW, like your new sig pic.

Eric Giles
08-01-2008, 10:27 AM
In part to your enthusiasm for yours. I do not know if I could afford the maintenance (dealer) though.

BTW, like your new sig pic.
They truly are great cars, but yes there is the issue of maintenance if you don't do the work yourself. To be honest, the only thing that scares me a bit on these cars are the VANOS issues that people experience. The parts are expensive and require the use of BMW's GT1 machine to do the job properly. The carbon buildup issue can be 'fixed' with a software/performance upgrade from an aftermarket company that will turn off the check engine light when this problem is detected.

Thanks for the compliment on the pic!

Theo
09-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Just a small update.

Had all the items that were found in the pre inspection fixed Monday. These $$ were expected.

The main radiator hose, the fuel lines and readjusted the parking brake.

The warrenty paid for the fuel lines and the other two were not that much.

I had my shop also do a once over on the car themselves and they said it very clean and they currently did not see anything else.

The big $$ are going to be replacing thre rear PS2's in the next 4 to 5 months. ouch

Btw I still love the great pull of that V8 everytime I get on it. Its a smile inducer.