PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted-Knee Bar

trentmw
01-17-2007, 02:59 PM
What are people's opinion of knee bars in roll cages? I am getting a cage built for a spec e30 and have heard different opinions, some say that they can do more damage to your legs than if you don't have one at all if you are in an wreck. Others say they wouldn't drive without them.

What is the consensus on this forum?

Nick M3
01-17-2007, 05:01 PM
It needs to either be WELL away from your legs (mine) or up in your dash.

lupinsea
02-06-2007, 08:09 PM
I know nothing about these things but I'm not keen on the thought of jambing my knees into a steel bar which (I would assume) would be more substantial than a plastic dash / dash support member.

I'd think you'd not want the bar where you're knees could slide into it. Nicks suggestion of moving the cross bar up in the dash area makes sense to me.

But then, I'm no expert, nor do I have much experience with roll cage fabbing. This is just my hunch.

trentmw
02-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Talked to a few people and they all don't like the design that goes by the knees. I am going to Piper who said they could put one in above the column.

bren
02-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Just make sure you are very clear on what the rules allow....and for that matter, make sure Piper is also.

trentmw
02-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Just make sure you are very clear on what the rules allow....and for that matter, make sure Piper is also.

Rules... we don't need no stinking rules:irate:

I've been reading and re-reading all of the rules to the point that it hurts.:?