PDA

View Full Version : new roundel: turnermotorsport builds a CSL....

lemming
01-13-2004, 09:39 AM
did anyone read with that keen interest?

it seemed pretty inexpensive (although, they didn't really touch weight) to get the car "sharper" and in a reliable tuner kit-way to do it. i was impressed with what i read.

turnermotorsports RACES. they have a lot of credibility to me because of that.

on a second point: the last page columnist was pretty funny. "things that BMW needs to do for the new year" --one thing that the columnist kept harping on was the unreliability of the X5. hmmmmm, have we touched on that one before?

TD
01-13-2004, 09:47 AM

it seemed pretty inexpensive (although, they didn't really touch weight) to get the car "sharper" and in a reliable tuner kit-way to do it. i was impressed with what i read.

on a second point: the last page columnist was pretty funny. "things that BMW needs to do for the new year" --one thing that the columnist kept harping on was the unreliability of the X5. hmmmmm, have we touched on that one before?

His name escapes me, but that last page columnist lost credibility with me a long tiem ago. Most of his recommendations for BMW over the years have centered around offering more gadgets and luxury amenities. He doesn't take the enthusiasts' perspective.

What cracks me up is how month in and month out, the Bangle bashing continues unabated. It's deserved, don't get me wrong. But I am truly amused that they just keep on printing anti-Bangle letters.

At least I know the club is filled with many guys who feel like I do.

lemming
01-13-2004, 09:52 AM

His name escapes me, but that last page columnist lost credibility with me a long tiem ago. Most of his recommendations for BMW over the years have centered around offering more gadgets and luxury amenities. He doesn't take the enthusiasts' perspective.

What cracks me up is how month in and month out, the Bangle bashing continues unabated. It's deserved, don't get me wrong. But I am truly amused that they just keep on printing anti-Bangle letters.

At least I know the club is filled with many guys who feel like I do.

that is precisely why this column was so odd. his first name is tom X. um, he asked with all of the technology that MB and BMW add, why is it also necesary to have unreliability?

he also asked to trash iDrive.

but it was his unreferenced dataset for X5 reliability that made me laugh. he asked if BMW couldn't get all of its factories to operate with the same efficiency and reliability or if there wasn't something just with spartanburg that will always be.

the turnermotorsport CSL had me looking long and hard at that car again. but then, it's hard when the bar now seems to be 400hp+ and c. 3000#'s in curb weight.

would someone please tell HACKmeister that the 360 is 3065 pounds and not hte ridiculously high 3200 pounds he keeps purporting?

Mr Paddle.Shift
01-15-2004, 11:45 PM
Just received my Roundel. West Coast folks are probably the last few to received ours... :D

I thought it is a smart move by TMS to sell a CSL-alike kit. But what really bugs me is that this seems to be a mix-and-match attempt with various aftermarket parts. I can't even track down one part that is, at least designed by TMS.

Also, nice move for TMS to replicate the bumper and trunklid of a real CSL. Any why not? Cos like they mentioned, it's difficult to acquire the real ones. So, what about the 5mph bumper test?

SpaceMonk
01-16-2004, 12:20 AM
Someone posted about this car back on the 'fest a while ago. Maybe there was another article somewhere else on Turner's Imola beauty.

I saw the car at a driver's school up at NHIS. Pretty sweet in person. One of the instructors for that weekend worked/raced for Will and he currently only had an X5 to bring on the track. So Will let him take the "CSL'd" M3, with one stipulation: "Don't let anyone pass you on the track." :twisted:

He didn't. I almost got a ride in it too, but the guy didn't want to take it out for too many sessions. I don't blame him. I think he did end up taking his X5 out on the track the next day too.

The body work really makes the car look much more aggressive.

lemming
01-16-2004, 10:44 AM
Just received my Roundel. West Coast folks are probably the last few to received ours... :D

I thought it is a smart move by TMS to sell a CSL-alike kit. But what really bugs me is that this seems to be a mix-and-match attempt with various aftermarket parts. I can't even track down one part that is, at least designed by TMS.

Also, nice move for TMS to replicate the bumper and trunklid of a real CSL. Any why not? Cos like they mentioned, it's difficult to acquire the real ones. So, what about the 5mph bumper test?

it's true, man. it does seem a fair bit like a hodgepodge. and they've yet to add a single mass, lightweight flywheel, either (that should be nice).

(p.s. how is your SC going?)

um, the only thing that would assuage our nerves about Turner is that a lot of the things that he sells are race tested so while it's not 100,000 mile tested like Dinan says their parts are, it's pretty rigorous.

in the article, it said that they couldn't get CSL parts from Munich with the proper VINs. amazing.