PDA

View Full Version : tick tick tick

zach
12-16-2006, 12:53 PM
There is a ticking noise coming from the motor. It sounds like the lifter tick one hears after an autocross, but not as loud. It ticks faster or slower based on engine speed.

There is plenty of oil in the car (just changed and I checked it today just to be sure).

Anyone have any ideas? I'm stumped.

Thanks.

rumatt
12-16-2006, 01:13 PM
boom

http://www.mojaveairport.com/images/filming/boom/boom-040915-03-8.jpg

iateyourcheese
12-16-2006, 01:34 PM
Can you do the screwdriver thing and pinpoint where the noise is originating?

zach
12-16-2006, 01:36 PM
Can you do the screwdriver thing and pinpoint where the noise is originating?

I'm not sure what you mean.

BahnBaum
12-16-2006, 02:12 PM
http://jackassofalltrades.com/ticker.html

Alex

zach
12-16-2006, 03:10 PM
http://jackassofalltrades.com/ticker.html

Alex

Thanks for that, but the ticking does change with the engine speed. I did the screwdriver trick (as described in Alex's link) and the ticking may be coming from the vanos unit. :ack:

iateyourcheese
12-17-2006, 12:27 AM
Thanks for that, but the ticking does change with the engine speed. I did the screwdriver trick (as described in Alex's link) and the ticking may be coming from the vanos unit. :ack:

I replaced my VANOS unit over the summer, but then again I was getting a CEL. What a difference it made, though.

I went ahead and bought the tools, so if you decide to replace the VANOS, you're welcome to borrow them.

Oh, and what oil are you using?

zach
12-17-2006, 12:58 AM
I replaced my VANOS unit over the summer, but then again I was getting a CEL. What a difference it made, though.

I went ahead and bought the tools, so if you decide to replace the VANOS, you're welcome to borrow them.

Oh, and what oil are you using?

Thank you kindly for the tool offer! What sort of difference did replacing the vanos unit make?

I'm using bmw 5w30 -- as I always have. What oil are you using?

SARAFIL
12-17-2006, 09:40 AM
Thank you kindly for the tool offer! What sort of difference did replacing the vanos unit make?

I'm using bmw 5w30 -- as I always have. What oil are you using?

time for a new car!!!!

iateyourcheese
12-17-2006, 10:29 AM
time for a new car!!!!

Sarafil: Speaking of a new car... when did you get the car that I lust over? Interlagos blue... :drool: :drool: :drool:

ZCA: The car has more torque now that I replaced the VANOS. It was a very noticeable difference. But my VANOS was, as the computer said, "mechanically stuck".

The noise doesn't necessarily mean your VANOS is on the way out, I believe it just means the gears are wearing.

From http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=E36VAN

http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/tech_tips/vanos/gear_large.jpg

I tried the BMW oil (had it left over from my e46) but the car burned a bit more than I would like. I switched to Castrol 5W-40, also an ACEA A3 oil, and it doesn't seem to burn any. Don't know if it did anything for the VANOS rattle, but bimmerforums people like the higher viscosity oils to quiet the rattle.

There is a rather simple, but somewhat unorthodox way to test your VANOS, btw. Part of the VANOS assembly includes an electronic solenoid that controls when the system is active. Simply unplugging it should disable your VANOS. I tried this and my car felt lethargic with a good bit of missing torque. So my VANOS wasn't totally dead, but it was sticking.

rumatt
12-17-2006, 11:59 AM
Party at iateyourcheese's to repair Zach's vanos.

iateyourcheese
12-17-2006, 02:02 PM

Well, the downstairs has a bedroom, bath, and your own living room. :dunno:

But... it's in the middle of nowhere, so people from Boston or NYC are going to feel mighty out of place.

equ
12-18-2006, 03:13 PM

Cool, I'm bringing the beer & vodka...

If I drive my 528 that far, I may need a VANOS job myself.

Plaz
12-18-2006, 03:20 PM
Cool, I'm bringing the beer & vodka...

:lol:

'Cause nothing goes better with major mechanical car repairs than hard liquor. :lol:

zach
12-19-2006, 03:17 PM
Ok.

So based on my amateur sleuthing, it's not vanos. The vanos rattle shouldn't change with engine speed. My car has a rhythmic ticking perfectly corresponds to the engine speed.

I have a call out to a mechanic.

Sorry for the lame update. You all can amuse yourselves by thinking up crazy motors to replace this one with if it's dead.:cool:

TD
12-19-2006, 03:33 PM
You all can amuse yourselves by thinking up crazy motors to replace this one with if it's dead.:cool:

http://www.motiontrends.com/2006/m02/audi/audi_rs4_v8_engine.jpg ???

zach
12-19-2006, 03:35 PM
http://www.motiontrends.com/2006/m02/audi/audi_rs4_v8_engine.jpg ???

I was hoping for a slightly more plug-and-play solution, but you get high marks for creativity and for answering first.

TD
12-19-2006, 03:38 PM
I was hoping for a slightly more plug-and-play solution, but you get high marks for creativity and for answering first.
I was thinking you'd just leave it in an RS4.

zach
12-19-2006, 03:40 PM
I was thinking you'd just leave it in an RS4.

Unfortunately, if the M3 needs significant work, it's going to need to be done whether or not I decide to get rid of it.

I'd take a cheap, short S4 lease though. :)

zach
12-19-2006, 05:01 PM
Better Update:

I talked to my mechanic. He said that it is most likely the lifters since it is cold out. He said I can drive it, but to stop driving if the noise gets very bad.

He quoted me $500 for parts and 4 hours of labor for a lifter job.

:ack:

iateyourcheese
12-19-2006, 05:52 PM
Better Update:

I talked to my mechanic. He said that it is most likely the lifters since it is cold out. He said I can drive it, but to stop driving if the noise gets very bad.

He quoted me $500 for parts and 4 hours of labor for a lifter job.

:ack:

While you're in there, might as well

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=261.E1.641-V2C

There's a couple of theads in the e36 M3 section of bimmerforums about people using an additive called "Rislone" to get rid of lifter tick. It may be worth a try.

zach
12-19-2006, 08:20 PM

There's a couple of theads in the e36 M3 section of bimmerforums about people using an additive called "Rislone" to get rid of lifter tick. It may be worth a try.

Yeah, my mechanic (who used to be a race car tech for TMS) recommended those. I'm not sure I want to sacrifice ANY of the low end torque though.

On the topic of the Rislone, I have read those threads. I'm not sure I want to put that in my car though. :dunno:

rumatt
12-20-2006, 12:36 AM

Price: $1,099.95

:ack: :ack: :ack:

zach
12-20-2006, 08:52 AM
:ack: :ack: :ack:

Turner Motorsport sells complete intake & cam packages that boost power to over 290hp.

:)

zach
12-21-2006, 07:35 AM
So, my fiancee (:eek:) took off in the M3 this morning. There was no ticking, so I had her drive around the block. Still no ticking.

:dunno:

zach
12-21-2006, 08:57 AM
So, my fiancee (:eek:) took off in the M3 this morning. There was no ticking, so I had her drive around the block. Still no ticking.

:dunno:

Naturally, by the time she got to Providence, it was ticking again.

FC
12-21-2006, 09:04 AM

I hate that about older cars. The nagging noises. The worrying. I'm enjoying my time as an owner of cars under full warranty. In May my 330i will no longer be under warranty and I will start worrying again.

zach
12-21-2006, 09:22 AM
I hate that about older cars. The nagging noises. The worrying. I'm enjoying my time as an owner of cars under full warranty. In May my 330i will no longer be under warranty and I will start worrying again.

I can't afford any desireable new cars that fit our needs.

JST
12-21-2006, 09:23 AM
I can't afford any desireable new cars that fit our needs.

Mazdaspeed 3?

zach
12-21-2006, 09:26 AM
Mazdaspeed 3?

After a modified e36 M3?

No thanks.

I was kind of joking anyway. I have a few options if I had to replace the M3. I'm just used to loving a car that costs me almost nothing. I don't want to replace it with a car that I love less but costs more.

FC
12-21-2006, 10:22 AM
After a modified e36 M3?

No thanks.

I was kind of joking anyway. I have a few options if I had to replace the M3. I'm just used to loving a car that costs me almost nothing. I don't want to replace it with a car that I love less but costs more.

I can understand that. Which is why if I somehow still needed a sedan in say '09, I couldn't fathom trading in my then ~$15K 330i to pay $45K+ for a car that would not be better in EVERY way. I rather drop $$ on an LSD, get new wheels, LWT flywheel and make feel fresh and keep it longer.

BUT, my car is still troube-free. My attitude could well change if it starts being a PITA.

There are cars out there you won't lov ethe way you lov eyour M3, but you could love more in other ways. Like a CPO CTS-V. It won't be as nimble, but ~400/400 can make up for a lot.;) :D

Rob
12-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Wow. My favorite phrase and I didn't say it!

I might even get to drive my piece of junk again tomorrow - with a new fender.

iateyourcheese
12-25-2006, 06:27 PM

Updates? Or did the car leave you stranded somewhere?

zach
12-27-2006, 12:42 AM
Updates? Or did the car leave you stranded somewhere?

I've been in south beach for the past 5 days. My co-driver has been driving the car and reports that "it still ticks, but hasn't exploded."

I'm getting the valves done in January (assuming that is the final diagnosis). The clutch needs to be done too, but I'm hoping to do that without the assistance of professional mechanics. :eeps:

Theo
01-04-2007, 11:46 PM
I've been in south beach for the past 5 days. My co-driver has been driving the car and reports that "it still ticks, but hasn't exploded."

I'm getting the valves done in January (assuming that is the final diagnosis). The clutch needs to be done too, but I'm hoping to do that without the assistance of professional mechanics. :eeps:

How many miles zach? Is that the original clutch?

zach
01-05-2007, 06:44 AM
How many miles zach? Is that the original clutch?

The car just reached 120k miles. Yep, it's the original clutch.

iateyourcheese
01-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Any plans to go aftermarket for the flywheel? I can't comment on the difference between the OE and lightweight flywheel (maybe TD can), but this car is just so easy to rev match because of the UUC flywheel. It chatters quite a bit in the summer, but I'm OK with that.

zach
01-05-2007, 09:04 AM
Any plans to go aftermarket for the flywheel? I can't comment on the difference between the OE and lightweight flywheel (maybe TD can), but this car is just so easy to rev match because of the UUC flywheel. It chatters quite a bit in the summer, but I'm OK with that.

Yep, when the clutch is replaced, a lightweight flywheel will be installed.

FC
01-05-2007, 09:11 AM

Werd.

I am convinced a LWT flywheel and a shorter ratio LSD would simply transform my car.

iateyourcheese
01-05-2007, 09:11 AM

Cool. You could hold off on getting the lifters fixed. The flywheel chatter should cover up the "tick tick tick" rather well.

zach
01-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Cool. You could hold off on getting the lifters fixed. The flywheel chatter should cover up the "tick tick tick" rather well.

I'm trying not to think about the lifters. I'll get them fixed eventually.

Theo
01-05-2007, 02:18 PM
Werd.

I am convinced a LWT flywheel and a shorter ratio LSD would simply transform my car.

I ramdomly search bone yards every now and then for a wreaked E36 M3 auto to steal the lower ratio gears for mine, but they are hard to come by.

zach
01-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Werd.

You know what would REALLY REALLY transform your car?

An LS2 conversion!

FC
01-05-2007, 03:43 PM
You know what would REALLY REALLY transform your car?

An LS2 conversion!

I bet.:D