PDA

View Full Version : Well, it looks like we wont be getting an SUV.

FC
11-27-2006, 02:37 PM
I convinced my wife to stop by and look at the GL and ML and Land cruiser.

She thought the MB SUV's were cool but then sat in the E350 wagon and said that is what she'd prefer. We then stopped by to look at a TLC and quickly dismissed it since the gate opens up AND down, and when the gate is open it's hard to reach over to access the 3rd row seats. But even if we totally remove them, she just hated how big it was. At that point she said to forget it, that she wanted a wagon and to stop bugging her to go look at SUV's.

So I guess that's it. She said she rather have a used, less reliable E-wagon (if the V70R thing doesn't pan out for some reason) than an SUV. She also saw the new passat wagon and despite being a VW fangirl, she could not warm up to it.

The V70R I found was sold on Wednesday. I am not lowballing an '06 in CT (totally loaded to 48.5K MSRP) - offered 38K with 7year/100K warranty). We'll see how that goes. If that doesn't pan out, we may do ED if we have no baby news, and if not we'll just sit tight until spring/summer and weigh our options then.

lemming
11-28-2006, 09:10 AM
i reached the same conclusion for myself after sitting in almost everything one could imagine at the boston auto show.

the interior of the E350wagen is nice. it's not inexpensive, is the biggest problem. my thought process throughout this wagon seeking has been if i could achieve the performance of the outback XT with maybe some more niceties, that would be ideal.

the a4 class is too small. the 3er is too small. the e60wagen and the a6avant both are quite nice, but if i'm going to go with an unreliable german car, it might as well be an MB. that and the MB has the largest displacement engine with the best torque (AUC and peak#'s).

if the outback XT was just a tad nicer, it'd be a no brainer for me. the pendulum would swing back to it if they also saw fit to up the power by a nice margin this year or next.

FC
11-28-2006, 09:31 AM
i reached the same conclusion for myself after sitting in almost everything one could imagine at the boston auto show.

the interior of the E350wagen is nice. it's not inexpensive, is the biggest problem. my thought process throughout this wagon seeking has been if i could achieve the performance of the outback XT with maybe some more niceties, that would be ideal.

the a4 class is too small. the 3er is too small. the e60wagen and the a6avant both are quite nice, but if i'm going to go with an unreliable german car, it might as well be an MB. that and the MB has the largest displacement engine with the best torque (AUC and peak#'s).

if the outback XT was just a tad nicer, it'd be a no brainer for me. the pendulum would swing back to it if they also saw fit to up the power by a nice margin this year or next.

I did a search and there are low-mile CPO '04 E500 wagons for $40K asking price. I may have to test drive one. Sure, it's 3 year sold now, and almost as expensive as a brand-new V70R, but would not mind the 5.0L engine nor all the features the E-wagon has (4-zone climate control, air suspension, etc, etc).

lemming
11-28-2006, 09:40 AM
I did a search and there are low-mile CPO '04 E500 wagons for $40K asking price. I may have to test drive one. Sure, it's 3 year sold now, and almost as expensive as a brand-new V70R, but would not mind the 5.0L engine nor all the features the E-wagon has (4-zone climate control, air suspension, etc, etc).

all depends for me.

i really loathe preowned cars, in general. i'd have to meet up with the former owner, see how he/she treats their other cars. if they had kids, that'd kill the deal for me.

if the wheels had curb rash, i'd avoid the car like the plague.

dredmo
11-28-2006, 09:54 AM
I convinced my wife to stop by and look at the GL and ML and Land cruiser.

She thought the MB SUV's were cool but then sat in the E350 wagon and said that is what she'd prefer. We then stopped by to look at a TLC and quickly dismissed it since the gate opens up AND down, and when the gate is open it's hard to reach over to access the 3rd row seats. But even if we totally remove them, she just hated how big it was. At that point she said to forget it, that she wanted a wagon and to stop bugging her to go look at SUV's.

So I guess that's it. She said she rather have a used, less reliable E-wagon (if the V70R thing doesn't pan out for some reason) than an SUV. She also saw the new passat wagon and despite being a VW fangirl, she could not warm up to it.

The V70R I found was sold on Wednesday. I am not lowballing an '06 in CT (totally loaded to 48.5K MSRP) - offered 38K with 7year/100K warranty). We'll see how that goes. If that doesn't pan out, we may do ED if we have no baby news, and if not we'll just sit tight until spring/summer and weigh our options then.

Any chance of you guys checking out a 4 door F-150 2007?

seats 5 very comfortably, ride like a car, and can make those dump runs better than anything.

Oh yeah, and it tows 9K.

lemming
11-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Any chance of you guys checking out a 4 door F-150 2007?

seats 5 very comfortably, ride like a car, and can make those dump runs better than anything.

Oh yeah, and it tows 9K.

no way.

maybe a new silverado, but not an F150.

Plaz
11-28-2006, 10:32 AM
Congrats on not getting an SUV! :thumbup: :lol:

dredmo
11-28-2006, 10:36 AM
no way.

maybe a new silverado, but not an F150.

*scratches head*

Well, whatever, same concept.

Why 'no way' on the Ford?

I drive both Fords (personal) and Chevys (work) - to include my 04' F150 FX4 and a 2005 Heavy Duty Chevy. The Ford has better interior, a better ride, better suspension, better towing at the entry level, more HP, and better durability. Both are great, but I'm guessing it's a looks factor or something? Anyways, do tell. :D

FC
11-28-2006, 10:41 AM
Ugh, sorry, but no. I absolutely cannot stand my father's F150. I drive liek a grandma in it. I hate driving it anywhere. I honestly rather tow a trailer than borrow his truck when hauling stuff, nevermind using it as a family vehicle.

BTW, lemming, one E500 for example, has 19K miles, CPO and is loaded to the tune of more than 70K MSRP when new. Asking price is 43K but it is also on ebay currently for 38K. That means the car can be had for ~half of what it cost new.

Considering the 339lb-ft you get from the V8 that is no longer available new, that is worth looking at, imo.

dredmo
11-28-2006, 10:45 AM
Ugh, sorry, but no. I absolutely cannot stand my father's F150. I drive liek a grandma in it. I hate driving it anywhere. I honestly rather tow a trailer than borrow his truck when hauling stuff, nevermind using it as a family vehicle.

BTW, lemming, one E500 for example, has 19K miles, CPO and is loaded to the tune of more than 70K MSRP when new. Asking price is 43K but it is also on ebay currently for 38K. That means the car can be had for ~half of what it cost new.

Considering the 339lb-ft you get from the V8 that is no longer available new, that is worth looking at, imo.

Can I ask what year the F150 is?

If it is 2003 or prior I would tell you it is a POS not worthy of buying. But if it is a 04 or later I'd be suprised by your assessment, yet it is yours to freely assess, :lol:

FC
11-28-2006, 10:48 AM

If it is 2003 or prior I would tell you it is a POS not worthy of buying. But if it is a 04 or later I'd be suprised by your assessment, yet it is yours to freely assess, :lol:

I believe it is an '03. But I've been in many newer trucks. Most of my co-workers at my last job had trucks, some of them loaded up with all the luxo-goods. While more comfortable, I still rather not own a pick-up for anything other than towing, hauling, etc.

dredmo
11-28-2006, 11:41 AM
I believe it is an '03. But I've been in many newer trucks. Most of my co-workers at my last job had trucks, some of them loaded up with all the luxo-goods. While more comfortable, I still rather not own a pick-up for anything other than towing, hauling, etc.

Well, as long as your happy and all, but trust me... if you at least test drive an 07 F150, I'd bet there is a 70% or better chance that you'll not want to even look at another truck. It is that good.

Just humor me and try it. =D

lemming
11-28-2006, 11:57 AM

GMS family.

plus the all new GMT900-based silverados are really nice. good enough to not make me ever consider a ford truck or the new Tundra.

dredmo
11-28-2006, 12:05 PM
GMS family.

plus the all new GMT900-based silverados are really nice. good enough to not make me ever consider a ford truck or the new Tundra.

I don't understand the blanket statement "to not make me ever consider a ford truck."

If it is based on looks or interior feel then fine, I concede, but based on the ride, towing, and performance I simply cannot fathom how you reached your decision to simply never consider it.

lemming
11-28-2006, 12:08 PM
I don't understand the blanket statement "to not make me ever consider a ford truck."

If it is based on looks or interior feel then fine, I concede, but based on the ride, towing, and performance I simply cannot fathom how you reached your decision to simply never consider it.

the differences between the refreshed F150 and the new GMT900s are not so great that i'd need to consider a Ford. I don't need the marginally greater towing capacity and i still think the GM engines have better torque characteristics than the Ford gasoline engines. and IMO, both diesels are fine as they are. so, because of the huge pricing advantage, i'd always opt for the GM truck.

dredmo
11-28-2006, 12:11 PM
the differences between the refreshed F150 and the new GMT900s are not so great that i'd need to consider a Ford. I don't need the marginally greater towing capacity and i still think the GM engines have better torque characteristics than the Ford gasoline engines. and IMO, both diesels are fine as they are. so, because of the huge pricing advantage, i'd always opt for the GM truck.

Fair enough. :D

While I consider the Ford to be factually superior (and ever so slightly so), the Chevy is a great truck and it serves us well at work.

JST
11-28-2006, 12:11 PM

"GMS family" means he gets a wicked discount on GM products; for similar reasons, if I were ever in the market for a truck (or if Ford ever decided to build any freaking cars that appeal to an enthusiast other than a Mustang), I'd always take the Ford over the Chevy.

lemming
11-28-2006, 12:14 PM
"GMS family" means he gets a wicked discount on GM products; for similar reasons, if I were ever in the market for a truck (or if Ford ever decided to build any freaking cars that appeal to an enthusiast other than a Mustang), I'd always take the Ford over the Chevy.

usually it's around 90% of dealer cost. and then you can still add onto that incentives, GM card accumulation and so forth.

for example, on the c5 z06, the difference was close to 8,000USD. on their best products (arguably their trucks) it's hard to ignore GMS pricing. i think the percentage discount is even higher on the options packages, too.

FC
11-28-2006, 12:30 PM
usually it's around 90% of dealer cost. and then you can still add onto that incentives, GM card accumulation and so forth.

for example, on the c5 z06, the difference was close to 8,000USD. on their best products (arguably their trucks) it's hard to ignore GMS pricing. i think the percentage discount is even higher on the options packages, too.

Holy cow!

JST
11-28-2006, 12:33 PM

Ford's A/Z plan is similar. FC, now you understand why there are so few foreign cars in Detroit--nearly everyone has family in the industry and qualifies under one of the sweet discount plans.

Rob
11-28-2006, 06:44 PM
Ford's A/Z plan is similar. FC, now you understand why there are so few foreign cars in Detroit--nearly everyone has family in the industry and qualifies under one of the sweet discount plans.

That and you get stoned whenever you get out of a foreign car or truck.

FC
11-28-2006, 07:04 PM

Certainly makes sense, sure.

lemming
11-30-2006, 05:24 PM
F:

did you know that both the 3.0 and 2.5T Outbacks come standard with DSC now?

i didn't know that.

this goes back to that whole "subarus can be a handful sometimes" thread somewhere.

FC
11-30-2006, 05:46 PM
F:

did you know that both the 3.0 and 2.5T Outbacks come standard with DSC now?

i didn't know that.

this goes back to that whole "subarus can be a handful sometimes" thread somewhere.

I saw that on the 3.0R. But I had always considered only the VDC 3.0R (VDC=DSC).

After I saw the dyno #'s on the 3.0R I realize why it felt so underwhelming. I've pretty much written off the Subies right now. It's down to an '06+ V70R or a CPO E500.

ZBB
11-30-2006, 06:25 PM

Hmmm... I may have to think about getting rid of the E39 again and replace it with an E500 touring... I absolutely love sitting in them...

When I got the E39 (almost 2 years ago now), it was priced at ~$44k, and I negotiated it to just under $38 (which was a fair price at the time)...